I'm too fat - help !

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I did once drop 5 stone in 3 months, but I really wouldn't recommend getting Crohn's as a weight loss regime..........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Emp_Fab said:
    Hey, all you naysayers... I can do this... I'm not going to let you call me a fatty slacker doomed to fail. If I don't lose (%x)Kg by (%date), I'll (%forfeit).

Can you suggest suitable values for %x, %date and %forfeit please.
    happy to oblige:

%x = 50
    %date = "dogging"
    %forfeit = "eat my hat"
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014
    %x = "a game of scrabble despite starting with the letters  u, c, f, n, i and"
    %date = "refusing to play only polite words"
    %forfeit = "have also won a moral victory"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Is everything ok at home emp?
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10429
    I should be about 16 stone if beer is a weight gainer, I generally drink about 30 pints a week plus 2 or 3  bottles of wine. I mean I'm 12.5 stone which is over weight at 5.8" but I think most of that comes from the endless Kentuckies, Currys, cheese on toast for breakfast and other appalling diet habits.
    What seems to help me not become mr Creosote is not eating any sweet stuff ever, cycling to work and back  and drinking lots of water, i do about 6 pints of water a day and I'm sure it helps
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Danny1969 said:
    I should be about 16 stone if beer is a weight gainer, I generally drink about 30 pints a week plus 2 or 3  bottles of wine. I mean I'm 12.5 stone which is over weight at 5.8" but I think most of that comes from the endless Kentuckies, Currys, cheese on toast for breakfast and other appalling diet habits.
    What seems to help me not become mr Creosote is not eating any sweet stuff ever, cycling to work and back  and drinking lots of water, i do about 6 pints of water a day and I'm sure it helps
    How old are you?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    Drew_fx;302393" said:
    How old are you?
    On approx 100 units of alcohol a week - very close to meeting his maker, irrespective of age.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Drew_fx said:

Danny1969 said:
     I generally drink about 30 pints a week plus 2 or 3  bottles of wine.
    conventional wisdom says that's way too much. I used to drink similar, now I'm a deadbeat diabetic. see me and be warned

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    I've not read all of this thread. But Cycling. Seriously. If you can do 80-100 miles in a week, you'll struggle to eat enough to keep up with the fat burning.

watch this video if you need inspiration: 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014
    the problem with a lot of the posts on these type of threads is there are people who are fit and there are people who're in recovery - that is they're not feeling great, need encouragement to get started - might need encouragement to keep going.

Fit people aren't too hot at the empathy thing to help people get to the level of fitness they want.

I remember being told by a Virgin Active coach in the most dead-eyed lack lustre fashion "you .. can ... achieve ... whatever ... you ... want ... to ... you just ... need ... to put .. the ... work .. in".

yeah, thanks for that.

Coaching is an art-form and coaching yourself there is no indication you can coach others, it just means you learnt enough to get yourself there and that's not enough to help others up.

There's a sign at my wife's Crossfit "Let the coaches coach". Those guys are seriously fit (I think several of Europe's top crossfit athletes go there), but it's not enough. Having made it isn't the same as helping others to make it.

I'd advocate starting with stretches like the Anderson book, get a little regime of that going - it'll improve posture THEN go from there... nothing succeeds like success, so small achievable goals.. as time goes by the difficulty won't change too much but the achievement will. Because if you bite off more than you can chew - nothing fails like failure.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    I think you might be an alcoholic.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    edited July 2014
    Danny1969 said:
    Sure, there are people that are drinking alcohol but aren't fat- everyone has different metabolism.
    That information doesn't help someone who is already overweight though.
    Trying to lose weight whilst consuming too much alcohol  isn't the same as never having put on weight and drinking too much.

That is a worrying amount of alcohol though- how long have you done this for?
    Have you ever had a liver function test?

Drinking water will help, a bit.
    30 pints a week is about 6000 calories.
    2 bottles of wine is about 1200.
    That is 8200 calories all up out of an average of around 2500 a day * 7 days= 17500.
    I don't know what your diet is and how much you eat but if you are exercising a bit and under-eating I can believe that it is possible for you to not gain weight doing that.
    However you are drinking about 100 units a week- or around 5 times the recommended maximum amount.

I've really cut down on booze. It just kinda bores me these days and I feel crappy the next 2 days after.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have a fatty liver, so I don't drink often because of that. It should also be a factor in my desire to lose weight, but I just want the pussy tbh.
    My V key is broken
    Drew_fx said:
    I've really cut down on booze. It just kinda bores me these days and I feel crappy the next 2 days after.
    Being a non-drinker is my new normal.
    Nothing worse than a new convert but I am loving it and no desire to return to the booze.
    octatonic said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Nothing worse than a new convert but I am loving it and no desire to return to the booze.
    I've gone from about 4-10 pints a week to about 4 pints a month. That's a pretty big change for me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    octatonic said:
    Drew_fx said:
    I've gone from about 4-10 pints a week to about 4 pints a month. That's a pretty big change for me.
    This is the thing about all this- it doesn't take much of a change to make a difference.
    What absolutely doesn't work is a massive change in lifestyle that is short lived because it is unsustainable.

Oh and well done.
    cycling 80 miles a week might well give you ball-cancer.
    drinking 100 units a week might well give you liver cancer.

perhaps Emp should take up Tai Chi.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    It's funny I know people who literally have to drink alcohol every day, maybe just a pint but I don't understand the need to drink.

I love whiskey, and always have a bottle or two at home but I may have one drink a fortnight, if that. I probably drink enough to feel tipsy maybe twice a year.
    frankus said:
    cycling 80 miles a week might well give you ball-cancer.

Not quite.

Whilst there is a correlation between cyclists in their 50's and testicular cancer diagnosis there is no causal relationship.
    What is more likely is fit men are more health conscious and therefore more likely to be checked out.

There is no link between cycling causing cancer- it is simply the rate of diagnosis is higher in cyclists.