NGD - lots of Patrick James Eggle content...

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23030
    And the maple neck.  If I were ever to buy a Macon, I'd want one with a maple neck.  It takes them that bit further away from Gibson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 838
    Since getting the Macon I've really enjoyed starting to get to know it . Having never had a 'junior' inspired guitar before it's vibe is different to anything else I've played which kind of nudges you in new musical directions. One thing I've appreciated exploring is how it responds to light/mid gain voices - for much of my guitar playing life I've either gone for super clean or high gain settings, but this guitar is so responsive and works really well with my overdrive pedal.

I've put a few clips on YouTube showcasing this guitar, but this one seems to capture the spirit of the guitar (plus I love the TV show, Better Call Saul) so I thought I'd add it here:

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3144
    These are without doubt lovely guitars, but for me, the PE new stuff leaves me cold compared to Patrick’s old stuff. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3771
    These are without doubt lovely guitars, but for me, the PE new stuff leaves me cold compared to Patrick’s old stuff. 
    That really surprises me.  I think a Berlin is indeed a very, very good guitar but felt very much like a PRS.  His new ones feel much more like their own thing.

Nice video, @RevMatt ;
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    That really surprises me.  I think a Berlin is indeed a very, very good guitar but felt very much like a PRS.  His new ones feel much more like their own thing.

Nice video, @RevMatt ;
    I think both perspectives have their merits and of course this is all very personal.

To me, the early 90s PEG designs (Berlin, Vienna, LA, NY, Milan etc) were more original, and the more recent PJE stuff is more of a high end take on classic and established designs.

I love both eras - the early stuff felt very natural to play and was visually distinctive, although for me, the build quality on the newer stuff ups the game a bit.

Having owned over 60 90s Eggles I now don't have any, just the 3 PJE electrics and 1 acoustic, so that confirms where my preference lies, but if money and space were no object I'd have a collection from both eras...

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3144
    RevMatt said:

Nice video, @RevMatt ;
    I think both perspectives have their merits and of course this is all very personal.

To me, the early 90s PEG designs (Berlin, Vienna, LA, NY, Milan etc) were more original, and the more recent PJE stuff is more of a high end take on classic and established designs.

I love both eras - the early stuff felt very natural to play and was visually distinctive, although for me, the build quality on the newer stuff ups the game a bit.

Having owned over 60 90s Eggles I now don't have any, just the 3 PJE electrics and 1 acoustic, so that confirms where my preference lies, but if money and space were no object I'd have a collection from both eras...

@RevMatt hit the nail on the head. I’m kind of done with new takes on old designs however well they are executed.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 847
    edited August 2021
    Considering an order for an Oz...

Pretty much a tele, with a translucent butterscotch, master grade neck, and a custom neck (the soft V but re-carved towards a slimmer C shape instead of the V at the neck end).

Fender CS, LSL custom build and the PJE custom are options....

Something like this one but with a nicer figured one piece ash body (if possibly - the one shown is a 2 piece) and the reshaped neck:

https://rebel-guitars.com/patrick-james-eggle-guitars-oz-in-butterscotch/

Obviously a considerable outlay, and probably less resale than either the fender or LSL (though the fender would be £1k more to purchase, the LSL roughly the same).     NOT that im considering a sale lol - just that any guitar may not actually suit ultimately so needs to have some factor in the choice.

Good plan @paulmapp8306 - go for the PJE, my Oz is just epic, and that vintage neck carve is sooooo playable!
    ------- NGD WARNING -------

Some will have seen my recent PJE Oz for sale post... I loved that guitar and really couldn't fault it for looks, tone and quality, but between that and my 96, I found myself more at home with the geometry of the 96. So, my aim was to sell the Oz to fund a 2nd 96 that would replicate the features I loved about the Oz (droptop with stunning quilted maple, Vintage neck with 12" radius and medium fret wire etc), but also needed to be an SSH pickup configuration as my other 96 is an HH...

With remarkable timing the sale of the Oz collided with the availability of @JohnnyBGid82 's 96 droptop, and here it is:

And now, residing with its siblings (there's also a PJE acoustic, but not pictured):

Thanks to @JohnnyBGid82 and @wizbit81 for making it happen, and also to @joeW for the shared enthusiasm!

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3292
    Very tasty!
  • Glad she's come to a good home! It was a pleasure dealing with you mate
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 466
    What an awesome result all round - tho for all the PJE’s flying round, nothing seems to have come my way!   Is that an ebony board on your other 96?  What a trio 
    joeW said:
    What an awesome result all round - tho for all the PJE’s flying round, nothing seems to have come my way!   Is that an ebony board on your other 96?  What a trio 
    Yes, ebony on the 96 HH Reverse, Santos Rosewood on the Macon and the 96 DT
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11932
    Holy fuck, those drums are the dogs! :-)

More seriously, that's a fab trio.  Why do I always prefer everyone else's guitars to mine?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • alanohaganalanohagan Frets: 120
    That’s a completely awesome collection congrats 
    PJE has to be the U.K’s premium builder, met him once - throughly nice chap
  • zerolightzerolight Frets: 85
    Very nice. The tele in particular looks amazing. Enjoy. 
    edited April 2023
    -------- Another NGD Warning ---------

Thought it was time to update this thread with an additional NGD post (although the actual NGD took place about 2 months ago - I've been busy!)...

Sadly this NGD came at a cost - the green Macon Jnr shown earlier had to go to help fund this one, but I'm still left with the 2x 96s - the droptop HSS and the reverse HH, and now with a Macon carved top to complete the collection...

The Macon CT is an absolutely stunning guitar, bought used from Sound Affects in Ormskirk. The guitar itself dates back 2019 and came in superb condition (excusing the aged nitro finish). Spec is as follows:

• 1 piece mahogany body and book matched maple top finished in lemonburst
    • Mahogany neck with ebony fretboard 
    • Mojo Pickups
    • Ebony pickup surrounds and knobs
    • Gotoh tuners
    • 2 piece ABM bridge
    It's really a stunning guitar, both to play and also look at - tonally it's great with a very versatile range (with the addition of coil splits). So the fact that it's taken me 2 months to add it here is by no means a slur on the guitar itself - I've been craving one of these for a good few years and it was worth the wait!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 466
    It’s another beauty.  How does it compare to the junior in terms of neck feel and the tones available???
    joeW said:
    It’s another beauty.  How does it compare to the junior in terms of neck feel and the tones available???
    @joeW - so, the neck... The overall profile, frets etc are identical to the Jnr, but because the Jnr had a maple neck and the CT has a mahogany neck they do feel different. The 'rubbed through' feel of the Jnr's maple neck felt extremely smooth whereas on the CT you can feel the texture of the more grainy mahogany. TBH, if money or choice were no object I would opt for the maple neck as I loved that super smooth feel, but with my limited budget the mahogany neck was a compromise I was happy to make, and it certainly is a very nice and playable neck.

In terms of sounds, they do sound different although I'm not sure how well I'll describe it... Both guitars sound superb although the carved top does better suit my preferences - I would say it's a smoother and fuller sound than the Jnr which I would say was a little more brash (although use of the tone and volume could smooth out the Jnr).
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9348
    Lovely carved top. Looked at it for ages in saf but didn’t pull the trigger as didn’t like the dots. Decided to go for it and someone got there first. At least it went to a good home.
    A Macon is the best single cut I’ve ever played and I only sold mine to my band mate as a huge favour as he is a singlecut player. It’s his no 1