Can you do this stretch, or am I just a bit pants?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• newi123newi123 Frets: 863
    So was listening to Runnin With The Dweezil this week about Diver Down - apparently on Hang em High Eddie plays a similar stretch - Frets the B on the 2nd fret of the A string and then stretches to the A at the 7th fret of the D string. Had a go at this and it`s tough!

@Danny1969 - know you`re a VH fan - have a go!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    newi123 said:
    So was listening to Runnin With The Dweezil this week about Diver Down - apparently on Hang em High Eddie plays a similar stretch - Frets the B on the 2nd fret of the A string and then stretches to the A at the 7th fret of the D string. Had a go at this and it`s tough!

@Danny1969 - know you`re a VH fan - have a go!
    Yeah it is a big stretch but I can do it, in fact I can stretch from A# on the A string to the A on the D string. Once you teach your hand to stretch these big stretches become really easy ...... it's just normally people don't actually practice stretching, I certainly never did until a few years ago. Now after 2 or 3 years I'm quite good at it.

I know it can be achieved from practice because I have a 13 year old student who can do the Message in a bottle riff Ok and his hands aren't even fully grown yet. I taught him to start up the top playing the root, 5 and 9 across 3 strings then when comfortable move down where the frets get larger. 

John Mayer has some of the trickiest stretches to pull off as he plays riffs that use the thumb on the bass note but then the fingers are a few frets away from the thumb. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5467
    Yes. An odd question. It is way less stretchy than things most acoustic players do as routine up at the cowboy end of the fretboard where the frets are nearly twice as far apart. Don't see why it would be any different on electric. Well, either that or else I've misunderstood the question.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom