Western Jam, Saturday 2nd October, 2021 -- Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 91
    Have added You Give Love A Bad Name to the list of tracks (suggested by @onlyonebradders) on which I will attempt rhythm 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Brocco said:
    Have added You Give Love A Bad Name to the list of tracks (suggested by @onlyonebradders) on which I will attempt rhythm 
    Oh I’ll do that one too (lead), know it off by heart!
    Superb - just need a bass player and vocalist to complete the band - any volunteers?
    we are still also looking for a bass player for Cold Hard Bitch and Hard To Handle, vocalist and bass player for Talk Dirty To Me and Richard III, and bass player and lead guitar for Lil' Devil and Rocks to complete a full band line-up for these 6 tracks
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14646
    edited August 2021
    Not I.

The very thought of that song gives me traumatic flashbacks to a rehearsal room in a galaxy far, far away. 

Nurse! The sedatives!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4651
    OK, I'll have a crack at the lead on Lil' Devil.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

OK, I'll have a crack at the lead on Lil' Devil.
    Top man!
  • Brocco said:
    we are still also looking for a bass player for Cold Hard Bitch and Hard To Handle, vocalist and bass player for Talk Dirty To Me and Richard III, and bass player and lead guitar for Lil' Devil and Rocks to complete a full band line-up for these 6 tracks

I'm willing to have a look at those on bass if you're really desperate. I know Hard To Handle is OK, I'll just have to check out the others. I can bring my bass but I haven't got a bass amp.

It's not a competition.
    spark240 said:
    Anyone up for ?

Joe Jackson -  Is she really going out with him
    The Jam - Thats Entertainment
    The Clash - London Calling 
    Bowie - Rebel Rebel

Apologies, I have just realised that the list in the first post must be incomplete in respect of Is She Really, London Calling and Rebel Rebel - rhythm or lead?
    mart said:
    Brocco said:
    @mart - have added you to the list of attendees in the first post 
    Thanks.

For songs, how about Rainbow's Since you been gone, and REM's The one I love. 
    I think based on an earlier comment I put you down tentatively for bass on The One I Love but for some reason not on Since We've Been Gone (obviously if you prefer to play guitar on either please just say)?
  • onlyonebraddersonlyonebradders Frets: 19
    edited August 2021
    Just wondering; is there a total number of songs we are aiming for? There still seems to be a lot of songs lacking ‘members’ and was thinking should we look to cut down the list unless people commit to them by a certain date? Or is the intention that people will just wing it on the day?
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited August 2021
    Brocco said:
    mart said:
    Brocco said:
    @mart - have added you to the list of attendees in the first post 
    Thanks.

For songs, how about Rainbow's Since you been gone, and REM's The one I love. 
    I think based on an earlier comment I put you down tentatively for bass on The One I Love but for some reason not on Since We've Been Gone (obviously if you prefer to play guitar on either please just say)?
    I'm happy to do bass for both. And I can do the bass for You Give Love if that's still vacant.

I'll also bring a bass head, assuming they still have the ampeg fridge like last time, so that should be the bass amp covered.
    Just wondering; is there a total number of songs we are aiming for? There still seems to be a lot of songs lacking ‘members’ and was thinking should we look to cut down the list unless people commit to them by a certain date? Or is the intention that people will just wing it on the day?
    Andy, this is a fair and understandable question. These events usually comprise players of differing abilities and experience, and the original idea was to create events that anyone could attend and participate in. The opportunity is given to all who express interest in attending to propose tracks, out of which a setlist emerges, based on the level of interest expressed in being in the 'house band'. 

Of the 20 tracks still under consideration, we currently only have 2 for which we have a full house band. We are probably close to the point where we should consider dropping any songs for which we do not have at least 3 band roles filled (if we were to do that right now we would have only 11 tracks remaining on the list). 

We could consider a reserve list of tracks that are easy to play and could be 'jammed' on the day, but I imagine no-one wants to play endless 12-bar variations.

My personal preference would be to have a full house band for a minimum of 10 tracks so we have some structure and those involved can practice and prepare. I have amended the list in the first post so you can more clearly see the 11 tracks that are looking most likely at this point in time.

What does everyone else think?

@stratman3142
    @bobblehat
    @Vibetronic
    @spark240
    @nickp
    @roberty
    @Jonathangus
    @onlyonebradders
    @Funkfingers
    @nicos236
    @mart

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    sorry guys, I haven't been paying a lot of attention - I'll take a look at the song list and stick my name down for something and answer above

@Brocco  - sounds good. Happy to play on anything really, even if it’s on the fly….but bearing that in mind, it might be useful if people could bring a couple of chord sheets for their choices. I can pick stuff up easily enough but my memory is awful (even for stuff I’ve written myself!). 

I’ll pay later before I forget too. 
    @Vibetronic - the thought occurs that your track suggestions (VH version of You Really Got Me and Johnny B Goode) would be good candidates for the 'reserve' track list idea. I'd be be up for rhythm on VH.
    edited August 2021
    Brocco said:
    @Vibetronic - the thought occurs that your track suggestions (VH version of You Really Got Me and Johnny B Goode) would be good candidates for the 'reserve' track list idea. I'd be be up for rhythm on VH.
    Sounds good. Despite my shred tendencies they’re nice easy songs (3 & 5 chords respectively) that people could learn the rhythm parts for over the afternoon. I’m not fussy about playing lead or rhythm and happy to help anyone out/provide backing as necessary. Please excuse clumsy typing if you saw unedited version of this, currently in a darkened room supervising baby sleep!!
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 550
    @Brocco ;
    Might be useful at this stage if people Pm'd you exactly what parts/songs they would like to play on the day. There's a lot of "I'm happy to do" I don't mind" etc . which is great but not helpful in finalising a list of songs.
    bobblehat said:
    @Brocco ;
    Might be useful at this stage if people Pm'd you exactly what parts/songs they would like to play on the day. There's a lot of "I'm happy to do" I don't mind" etc . which is great but not helpful in finalising a list of songs.
    As a priority it would be ideal if everyone could please look at the list of 11 tracks in the very first post of this discussion over the next few days and come forward as @bobblehat suggests, as 9 of the 11 tracks do not yet have a full 'house band'
    quick question for @bobblehat - I have moved you from lead to rhythm for Hard To Handle and just wanted to check I have got that right?
This discussion has been closed.