Western Jam, Saturday 2nd October, 2021 -- Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    You can stick me down for rhythm on That's Entertainment if that helps. 

And, to confirm, the songs I'm playing bass on, I'm happy to play them twice if wanted. 

I'll have a look at the bass part for some of the other songs and see if there is any chance I can manage one of two of them as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 91
    mart said:
    You can stick me down for rhythm on That's Entertainment if that helps. 

And, to confirm, the songs I'm playing bass on, I'm happy to play them twice if wanted. 

I'll have a look at the bass part for some of the other songs and see if there is any chance I can manage one of two of them as well.
    Thank you @mart ;
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 550
    Brocco said:
    okay, suggesting that we drop Bathroom Wall, Rock of Ages, Rebel Rebel, London Calling, The One I Love, Under The Bridge and Johnny B. Goode, as each of these tracks has only two band roles filled, which has remained the case for sometime. 

In terms of the remaining tracks (see the updated list in the first post), it probably makes sense to consider these to be our provisional setlist. Key roles that remain unfilled in this shorter list include vox for You Really Got Me, Talk Dirty To Me and Since You've Been Gone, and lead guitar on Hard To Handle and Rocks. Several bass roles also remain unfilled.   
    Stick me down for Lead on Rocks if you want. I might as well while I'm there  =)
    @bobblehat many thanks, list updated 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    I didn’t think there was any lead as such on rocks ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited August 2021
    Brocco said:
    @bobblehat many thanks, list updated 
    not much about 4 bars 

• It looks likely that I will be able to make it now.

Although guitar is my primary instrument, I would be happy to fill in on bass as required.

I'll bring my bass as well as a guitar. I don't have a bass amp but I understand there might be something there that I can use.

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 great news and thank you!
    I'll bring my bass as well as a guitar. I don't have a bass amp but I understand there might be something there that I can use.
    Glad to hear of another bassist coming.
    I'll be bringing a head, and there was an Ampeg 8x10 last time, so we should be ok.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2218
    edited August 2021
    Can I check the keys, of what I think are the current potential songs

Cold Hard Bitch: A

Hard To Handle: B

Is She Really Going Out With Him: Bb (but starts on Dm7)

Johnny B. Goode: Whatever, it's a 12 bar

Just What I Needed: E

Keep Your Hands To Yourself: A

Lil' Devil: D

Richard III: A

Rocks: A

Since You've Been Gone: G

Talk Dirty To Me: G but 1st chord is a C (a semitone higher than the original because IIRC that's what someone requested)

That's Entertainment: Gm

You Give Love A Bad Name: Cm

You Really Got Me: Ab or A. The original Kinks version is about 1/3 cent above concert pitch Ab. And I believe Van Halen did it in A tuned and down a semitone? Will the Van Halen stuff only work in A? I don't mind but I guess the vocalist might. 

It's not a competition.
    Would prefer to sing Lil' Devil tuned down a semitone but can see how it goes on the day and adjust to suit  :# 
    last push to try and complete the provisional setlist:

anyone up for lead on Hard To Handle, Is She Really Going Out With Him and That's Entertainment (if indeed there are lead guitar roles on the last two)?

anyone up for vocals on Since You've Been Gone, Talk Dirty To Me and You Really Got Me?
    edited August 2021
    I believe Hard To Hand also needs a bass player as well, looking at the original post. I can do lead guitar or play bass on Hard To Handle. Although I can't do both at the same time, unless you want a bass solo (which is not a good idea)  

I don't think there is lead guitar as such on 'Is She Really Going Out With Him' or 'That's Entertainment'. Someone correct me if I've missed something there.

I'm happy to fill in on guitar (lead or rhythm) or bass on any of the tracks currently listed, to fill any gaps where needed.

It's not a competition.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    No lead on Joe Jackson or Jam 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    I'll do the bass on Hard to handle, leaving @stratman3142 free to do lead.
     Brocco said:
    last push to try and complete the provisional setlist:

anyone up for lead on Hard To Handle, Is She Really Going Out With Him and That's Entertainment (if indeed there are lead guitar roles on the last two)?

anyone up for vocals on Since You've Been Gone, Talk Dirty To Me and You Really Got Me?
    thanks for all the commitments, specific or open, to fill some of the open band roles: only vocals for Since You've Been Gone, Talk Dirty To Me and You Really Got Me now remain open.

A couple of points on the setlist in the first post: where you see "covered" this means that someone has kindly given a commitment to step in should someone not specifically request that band role.

In a similar vein, where we have more members interested in a particular track than there are band roles, we will run through the track as many times as is necessary to ensure that everyone who has specifically requested to play on the track gets to do so. It follows that anyone whose forum name is shown in brackets are part of band line-up #1 for a track, and it is assumed they are also happy to play on additional run-throughs should no-one else come forward to take that role in band line-up #2 or #3, etc.

A thought for the multi-talented amongst us: if you are interested in taking more than one type of band role that cannot combined in one performance (say bass and guitar), there is no reason why you have to choose one over the other, simply request to play on both and we will ensure that the final running order accommodates you.  :)   
    edited August 2021
    Brocco said:
    ...there is no reason why you have to choose one over the other, simply request to play on both and we will ensure that the final running order accommodates you.      

I'm happy to be a gap filler on guitar or bass. I'm happy to play or not play on any song.

I've done chord charts for all of them so I don't have to memorise them, because I'm afraid my memory is crap these days. As I said before, if anyone is interest in charts then PM me.

It's not a competition.
    As we will all be together at Factory Studios 5 weeks tomorrow, it may be sensible to drop Since You've Been Gone, Talk Dirty To Me and You Really Got Me unless a volunteer for vocals comes forward this weekend. This would leave us with 10 tracks remaining on the 'official' setlist, which I would suggest we complement with very well known classic tracks that lend themselves to informal jamming on the day (no tricky drum parts/timing, no strange keys for vocalists, and plenty of scope for freestyle soloing). Please come forward and suggest a track or two over the course of this weekend. 
    edited August 2021
    Brocco said:
    As we will all be together at Factory Studios 5 weeks tomorrow, it may be sensible to drop Since You've Been Gone, Talk Dirty To Me and You Really Got Me unless a volunteer for vocals comes forward this weekend. This would leave us with 10 tracks remaining on the 'official' setlist, which I would suggest we complement with very well known classic tracks that lend themselves to informal jamming on the day (no tricky drum parts/timing, no strange keys for vocalists, and plenty of scope for freestyle soloing). Please come forward and suggest a track or two over the course of this weekend. 

Regarding well known classic tracks, I'll go with whatever the vocalists suggest and the keys they want, provided I know in advance so I can check I know them.

As food for thought, below are some ideas, but feel free to ignore me.

The Thrill Is Gone (BB King) - a nice minor blues
    Crossroads (Cream)
    Ain't No Sunshine
    Pride and Joy (SRV) or Sweet Home Chicago (Blues Brother) - one or other because they're quite similar
    Let's Stick Together
    Wild Thing
    Tush (ZZ Top)
    Get It On (T Rex)
    Long Train Running
    Superstition
    Funky Music

It's not a competition.
    Adding to the suggestions from @stratman3142 for jamming tracks, how about:

Beat It