Eventide Timefactor

What's Hot
russpmrusspm Frets: 443
I’ve had one of these a short while but yet to get to grips with it yet. Some of the presets have absolutely amazing sounds for a delay pedal. I’m wondering if there was a preset that sounded like pitch shifting. I’d be grateful for any knowledge from seasoned users.
The auto wah sounds on bank 11 are amazing.
Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There are... I don't recall the presets, but I have the H9 Max and they include the delays... and some of them have pitch shifting. That doesn't help, but if you download their free software, it's easier to go through the presets and create your own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The pitchfactor has delays too.

From memory all the pitch shifting delay action comes from the algorithms on the pitch factor.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    The pitchfactor has delays too.

From memory all the pitch shifting delay action comes from the algorithms on the pitch factor.
    It looks that way as I can’t find any on the Time Factor.
    There are... I don't recall the presets, but I have the H9 Max and they include the delays... and some of them have pitch shifting. That doesn't help, but if you download their free software, it's easier to go through the presets and create your own.
    How is the H9 @BDJohnston, ;Is it easy to use or is it heavily reliant on the software?
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    I really like this pedal, but it's a pretty big spectrum pedal for me, it does somethings so well and the presets are great, the vintage tape setting on it is superb, but then some of the other stuff on it is meh and the presets are meh, and after spending days fiddling with the presets, it's still meh.

knock ~£80 of this and it's an amazing pedal, I just think it does a little too much and as a result some of the stuff is not great, but the majority is excellent, never tried the auto wah stuff on on it.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Its never been the Instagram guitarist’s delay of choice but I bloody love the Timefactor. No pitch shifting delays that I can remember, but some of the filters sort of push towards a similar vibe if you use them at their extremes
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Timefactor is the delay pedal I keep comping back to.
    Had mine about 10 years I guess- still sounds excellent.

No pitch effects really, although you can repitch the looper using the speed knob.
  • russpm said:
    There are... I don't recall the presets, but I have the H9 Max and they include the delays... and some of them have pitch shifting. That doesn't help, but if you download their free software, it's easier to go through the presets and create your own.
    How is the H9 @BDJohnston, ;Is it easy to use or is it heavily reliant on the software?
    Heavily reliant. You have to understand that there are categories, e.g., delay, reverb, modulation, pitch shift, etc. It contains ALL the Eventide pedals, if you can imagine that. Some things have dual functions, e.g., a reverb can have a delay, but you can't combine a pitch shift with a phaser or flanger (which is why some pros have two on board). 

The point is, you use the software to find the effects you want... tweak them, and then create a preset. If you're doing gigs, you can create a group of presets within a block or library, which means as you shift up and down, you only do so within that block or library (so that you don't accidentally skip out of your group of presets you want for a gig). You can add a multiple footswitch or controller.

And so, explore with the software, find all the effects you want, create your ideal effects, then forget about the software (unless you want to explore some more).
  • darcym said:
    I really like this pedal, but it's a pretty big spectrum pedal for me, it does somethings so well and the presets are great, the vintage tape setting on it is superb, but then some of the other stuff on it is meh and the presets are meh, and after spending days fiddling with the presets, it's still meh.

knock ~£80 of this and it's an amazing pedal, I just think it does a little too much and as a result some of the stuff is not great, but the majority is excellent, never tried the auto wah stuff on on it.

What I notice with Eventide is that they max out on the 'mix' with many of their presets, and they can sound off, weird or too much. As soon as you dial back so that the mix is modest, they pop. This is very true of stuff like pitch shifting, which can sound like a badly tuned guitar if up too high, but a great thickener when dialed back to 10% or even less.
  • I much prefer the Factor series of pedals to the H9 series of pedals. The Timefactor was great, and the SPACE was beautiful! Wish I'd kept mine!

Bye!

edited April 2021
    I find the H9's UI a bit of a pain.
    I wish they'd made it twice the size with more knobs and buttons- but given how much it can do I am not sure that would necessarily have hugely improved things, so I guess I see why they did what they did with it.

I'd really like to see them develop a full sized multi fx unit/modeller like the Helix.

I am absolutely loving the H9000 for the studio, I wish I could afford a second one for my guitar rig.
  • octatonic said:

I'd really like to see them develop a full sized multi fx unit/modeller like the Helix.

I'd be all over that like a white guy from the Midlands all over Japanese birds

Bye!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I use it for a second delay, my Korg SDD 3000 is my main delay and it’s just the dogs nuts.
    I do like the Time Factor especially how you dial in separately each of the dual delays. It’s something you can’t do on the Korg.
  • NoiseNoise Frets: 8
    I think the only way to get pitch orientated effects out of the TF is to see what you can come up with using the looper, which is excellent for off the wall stuff. Even then I think emulating pitched delays is off the cards.
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    ISTR you can hetrodyne the signal by setting the delay time really really close too. voila pitch-shifted :) 

I'll see if I can find the settings :) 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    I much prefer the Factor series of pedals to the H9 series of pedals. The Timefactor was great, and the SPACE was beautiful! Wish I'd kept mine!
    I agree 100% with this.

The Time and Space just sounded better to my ears than the H9, which always sounded ‘digital’...

Maybe it’s just me too :)
  • ClassicClassic Frets: 40
    EvenMidi may be the company for you:

https://www.evenmidi.com/
    Classic said:
    EvenMidi may be the company for you:

https://www.evenmidi.com/
    That is genius.