Jason Isbell Signature Tele Anyone Seen One?

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    If I wanted/needed another Tele this would be #1 without a doubt. I love Isbell and the guitar looks fantastic.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    If I wanted/needed another Tele this would be #1 without a doubt. I love Isbell and the guitar looks fantastic.
    It really is a superb guitar, absolutely love it.
    To quote Mick at 01:15 "Let's say it upfront. I love this guitar". I know @markj and myself are pretty pleased that we purchased one too. 
    Absolutely no regret on the purchase. In my NGD thread I said I’d had a couple of AVRI teles, the tone out of the Jason Isbell is superb. It’s quite thick and fat with a little bit of drive.
  • There’s a parallel universe right now where I have one. It was the Isbell Tele and AO60s on the shortlist when I was shopping with my head. Just wasn’t realistic to get hold of either at the time to play then before you know it I saw the used CS strat I ended up with because I bought from the heart again, rationalised I’d sell my AV strat probably…now I have 2 Strats I’m happy with, 0 teles and even though I’d say I’m a Les Paul guy only the 1 of those.

Bloody guitar player logic.
  • Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    To quote Mick at 01:15 "Let's say it upfront. I love this guitar". I know @markj and myself are pretty pleased that we purchased one too. 
    At 13:41, he says "and I'm going to chuck some keys at it" 

You do that too?

I kid looks like a great guitar, sort of same vibe as what the brad paisley ones are doing in the market. 
    Rocky1991 said:
    At 13:41, he says "and I'm going to chuck some keys at it" 

You do that too?

I kid looks like a great guitar, sort of same vibe as what the brad paisley ones are doing in the market. 
    No mine has been aged more than Mick Taylors one.
  • I've buckled. I couldn't resist and have one arriving tomorrow 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited July 2021
    Despite putting the link up, I've only just watched most of this. 

I know there's personal preference etc but MT seemed to do quite a bit to this guitar. For the users that have them, is the guitar actually fine of off the peg?
    Kebabkid said:
    Despite putting the link up, I've just watched most of this. 

I know there's personal preference etc but MT seemed to do quite a bit to this guitar. For the users that have them, is the guitar actually fine of off the peg?
    Absolutely fine. The intonation is near enough for me with the standard brass bridge. Pickups are superb and definitely would never change.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I don’t get the chucking keys bit. My Les Paul is looking nicely worn in from just playing it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Kebabkid said:

Can’t find the bit again but when I was skipping through it I’m 99% sure he himself said it was fine out of the box but just preference
  • Kebabkid said:

It was fine for me. A bit of lemon oil on the fretboard and adjusting the intonation on the brass saddles after I'd changed strings was all that I've done since it came out of the box. Really not sure why MT changed the bridge tbh! 
    Kebabkid said:

It was fine for me. A bit of lemon oil on the fretboard and adjusting the intonation on the brass saddles after I'd changed strings was all that I've done since it came out of the box. Really not sure why MT changed the bridge tbh! 
    I think it was a personal choice. I tweaked the truss rod less  than a quarter of a turn and put lemon oil on the fretboard. I went to my local luthier Thomson guitars in Wigan, he cut the bone nut that was cut a little bit high for a £10. And I  fitted a set of Curt Mangan 10.5. It’s a fantastic tele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited July 2021
    Good to know and thanks chaps.
    Enjoy your guitars and they look and sound great

One thing. I thought Fender put strict controls on their prices yet there's a difference between Anderton's, GAK and Guitar Guitar 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    I can't get over how fake and shitty the relicing looks.

It's such a shame they can't just make them nitro so they age nicely and leave it at that. If you want to get it reliced you can pay to to it properly or better still just play the bloody thing.

Other than that it looks and sounds excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine arrived today and after a bit of tweaking it plays brilliantly. It sounds fantastic too and definitely a lot hotter than any other Tele I've played. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11791
    Mine arrived today and after a bit of tweaking it plays brilliantly. It sounds fantastic too and definitely a lot hotter than any other Tele I've played. 
    How was setup out of the box and what sort of tweaking did you need to do?
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Yeah Mick seemed to change a lot on it... I'd leave it stock. 
  • oldhorsemurphyoldhorsemurphy Frets: 321
    edited July 2021
    Offset said:
    Mine arrived today and after a bit of tweaking it plays brilliantly. It sounds fantastic too and definitely a lot hotter than any other Tele I've played. 
    How was setup out of the box and what sort of tweaking did you need to do?
    The setup was a bit high for my liking but that seems to be par for the course as far as Fenders go for me. 

I didn't have to do anything too major at all. I had to oil the fingerboard, drop the saddles and give the truss rod a bit of a tighten. I prefer the action a bit lower and the neck a bit straighter than Fenders usually arrive with. 

I've got a spare black switch tip knocking around somewhere that I'll put on it, fussy bugger that I am. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Yeah Mick seemed to change a lot on it... I'd leave it stock. 
    Me too. My recent Roadworn Tele was fantastic, nothing needed changing.  I think Mick’s video have been a bit short if he just admitted it was good out of the box!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom