Cleartone Conversions in Full Rebrand.

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    For those of us who can't afford a real PCsGC he's also offering retrofit parts.

Tele j-bass scallop edged neck with 38mm nut width (loaded) | eBay

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This needs a H&S assessment before it's played.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18881
    ^ Mmmmm... scalloped nut goodness.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12392
    edited April 2021
    P-C-S-G-C, from the sound of it that's how he tunes a 5 string bass.

Actually there's something about his playing that I like, its a bit wild, off-kilter and unconventional and it's clear that he can actually play.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I quite like his eccentricity.
    We don't have to buy his guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5535
    edited April 2021
    Now that he's rebranded, he can launch a reissue line of his earlier guitars but this time... reliced.  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    Shifting the neck an inch further into the body seems like an interesting experiment.

All his work seems unrefined and counter-intuitive; which makes me think he'll find a genuine innovation before any of the rest of us - as he's applying an artist's curiousity and naivety to a field reserved for craftsman. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    I quite like his eccentricity.
    We don't have to buy his guitars.
    I agree. But it is funny....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    Sarge said:
     I shouldn't laugh.

There's a great/rather sad video of him somewhere trying to do one of these videos while his kid keeps smashing the drums out of shot and he keeps having to tell them off mid-explaination.

I also spoke to someone who actually bought one of his basses the other day...
    Did he look like this?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love him. I think the guitars themselves are not good, but he has some interesting ideas - a classical width electric with scalloped edges isn't necessarily all terrible, there could be a market for classical guitarists wanting an electric for example. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 684
    edited April 2021
    Johnw84 said:
    Sarge said:
     I shouldn't laugh.

There's a great/rather sad video of him somewhere trying to do one of these videos while his kid keeps smashing the drums out of shot and he keeps having to tell them off mid-explaination.

I also spoke to someone who actually bought one of his basses the other day...

Is this the one? 
    That's it. Professionalism personified.
  • I love him. I think the guitars themselves are not good, but he has some interesting ideas - a classical width electric with scalloped edges isn't necessarily all terrible, there could be a market for classical guitarists wanting an electric for example. 
    There was one of his on here the other day & apart from the wide neck, I thought it was a cracking looking guitar
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    I like him too, and he's harmless. The quality of his work - or lack thereof - is plain for all to see, so no one's getting duped.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    Oh god, why do I find those pictures so upsetting? It's brutal.

But actually I've had adult learners with very big hands who have struggled enormously with open chords. I had one where we'd spend really big chunks of time in a lesson trying to hold one chord accurately with all the strings ringing clearly, and sometimes we'd call it a day without success because I ran out of new approaches to try. Incredibly, he kept at it, but most chord changes remain a challenge for him. I'm aware I'm making myself sound like a hopeless teacher here but it really is extremely difficult for some people. 

For students like that, I can see the point of a wide nut. Obviously I'd never recommend one of these abominations, but I have found myself wishing there were an affordable, good guitar with 47-50mm nut width. Maybe it wouldn't help, but I can see that it might. Some people have such wide fingers that it's very difficult for them to fret one string without fouling at least one of the strings either side.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • Oh god, why do I find those pictures so upsetting? It's brutal.

But actually I've had adult learners with very big hands who have struggled enormously with open chords. I had one where we'd spend really big chunks of time in a lesson trying to hold one chord accurately with all the strings ringing clearly, and sometimes we'd call it a day without success because I ran out of new approaches to try. Incredibly, he kept at it, but most chord changes remain a challenge for him. I'm aware I'm making myself sound like a hopeless teacher here but it really is extremely difficult for some people. 

For students like that, I can see the point of a wide nut. Obviously I'd never recommend one of these abominations, but I have found myself wishing there were an affordable, good guitar with 47-50mm nut width. Maybe it wouldn't help, but I can see that it might. Some people have such wide fingers that it's very difficult for them to fret one string without fouling at least one of the strings either side.

Yes, I have really short fat fingers and when I was a beginner it took time for me to adapt. Over time, I figured in some ways it was an advantage (riffing in drop D), and others not so much (big stretches!) but I can get by.

I think if I had huge hands I'd probably lean towards longer scales. I find 25.5 comfy, so I'm not surprised when I see buckethead playing a baritone scale tuned to standard - it makes sense! 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I once saw Segovia playing, I was struck by how podgey his fingers were.
    Can't help thinking how much better he would've been if he'd had a Cleartone Conversions job.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042

Actually there's something about his playing that I like, its a bit wild, off-kilter and unconventional and it's clear that he can actually play.
    This. My eyes are watering, not just from the laughing but from the crazy-legs-crane guitar technique. There's something deliciously Les Dawson about him. The main difference being that Les was intending to play badly... 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• If it wasnt the fact that he seems so completely genuinely invested in what he does I would believe that this was a very long-form trolling exercise.  Still, they're hilariously awful mind.  I would even pick one up cheaply to try and fix
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11946
    skunkwerx said:
    This is my favourite wide neck conversion.

Also if his name is Mark, who the fuck is Phillip?

Edit: its Mark Phillips LOL 
    it all went downhill after Princess Anne remarried
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11946
    I love him. I think the guitars themselves are not good, but he has some interesting ideas - a classical width electric with scalloped edges isn't necessarily all terrible, there could be a market for classical guitarists wanting an electric for example. 
    yeah, he does not have many qualms about trying ideas out