Fans of tape style delays.. Which pedal is your favourite?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
Looking to pick up one myself soon so... what one rocks your world?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Real ones, or modelled ones???

I like the Volante.

Bye!

• Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    Volante is probably the clear winner here but it's expensive.

The Disaster Transport Sr by Earthquaker does some great Tape delay noises, as does the DD200, all available 2nd hand at considerably less than the Volante.

If you're not 100% on which delay type you really like, the DD200 would be my choice as it covers a lot of ground for the money.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    DOD Rubberneck
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    edited April 2021 tFB Trader
    The MXR Echoplex is nice because it's very simple if you just want a basic tape delay.

It does get quite hot though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    The only thing I have is an old headrush e2 looper/delay pedal. You can do interesting things with the 4 output sockets. 
  • The only time I heard a real tape delay it didn't really sound anything like the modern emulations of tape delays.

Actually, it was quite a bit cleaner - more like an analog or even slightly older digital delay. Maybe it had recently been serviced or something.

I wasn't playing it at the time, someone was noodling on it in a store. Such a cool thing! 
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    El Capistan. You can dial in a massive range of sounds with the tone control and record level options etc, the modulation is really good, and the hold tap for oscillation thing is awesome. Plus the weird degrading looping, and you can make messed up chorus and vibrato sounds with it too. And the spring reverb is icing on the cake. If you can live with just one preset it's really good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    For cheap I really liked the Tone City Tape Machine.

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Watkins CopyCat. Retro but going for £200-£300 used on the Bay.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    El Cap is best I've tried. The Spring Reverb really makes it. It's better than the one on the Flint IMO. Looper is fun too. 

Not tried the Volante and the Keeley Eccos gets good reviews - if I were looking for a change I'd start there. 

Nod to the humble TC flashback too. Some great tape sounds. Troy Van Llewellyn's 'warble tape' tomeprint in particular. 
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    Skreddy Echo
  • I love my El Capistan. Sounds great, lots of features and control over the sound but also really easy to use. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6999
    +1 for the WEM Copicat.  It’s big though, about the size of a briefcase.  And it may need to be modified to meet current electrical safety standards.

For a more pedal sized solution, the Catalinbread Belle Epoch is a brilliant take on the Echoplex.  And unlike Dunlop’s offering, it actually includes the preamp circuit.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30913
    I found the Volante very very digital.

The Boonar is excellent

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Cols said:
    For a more pedal sized solution, the Catalinbread Belle Epoch is a brilliant take on the Echoplex.  And unlike Dunlop’s offering, it actually includes the preamp circuit.
    I prefer the Dunlop Echoplex for the same reason :)  Not a fan of the preamp sound personally, and you can't turn it off in the Belle Epoch if you don't like it (well, the Deluxe version I had anyway).

If cost is a consideration I'd look into the Nux Tape Core Deluxe, which has three "tape heads", seven presets (not footswitchable), and reverb, bass, treble, wow and flutter available via software and a laptop.  Pretty decent for 50ish quid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've loved the T-Rex Replicator Junior. There was a bizarre moment a while ago where the new price for them tanked. I'm sure the modellers are great, but I love the sound and simplicity of it.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    El Capistan is great. I’ve been tempted by the Belle Epoch too but not tried it yet.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Gassage said:
    I found the Volante very very digital.

The Boonar is excellent
    It's not tape delay though?
    It's a binson copy

Amazing pedal though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    My favourite for tape-style delay is the EHX DMM 1100-TT with a graphic EQ in the loop to cut the bass and boost the treble, tilt-EQ-stylee. I tried an Empress Tape Delay once but it sounded thin after analog.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I really love the Tape engine in the Source Audio Nemesis. If you dig into it with the app,  it can get really close.