Fans of tape style delays.. Which pedal is your favourite?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72328
    Boss RE-20. Really does the Space Echo sound pretty accurately, including the tin-bucket reverb!

The Akai Headrush E2 is nice as well, although it's much more often used as a looper.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Limited delay features but great sound ......Strymon Deco .........does a lot more besides
  • None of them sound like the real thing.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 66
    I've loved the T-Rex Replicator Junior. There was a bizarre moment a while ago where the new price for them tanked. I'm sure the modellers are great, but I love the sound and simplicity of it.
    Another vote for a replicator. I have one along with an Empress. I love the Empress, but real tape is just so imperfect that it’s still its own thing. That said, I wouldn’t want to have to use it as my only delay being mechanical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Try plugins, Valhalla Delay, Replika XT etc.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Chandler Stereo Digital Echo. It's a rack unit, but worth it.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Another vote for the Dunlop Echoplex Delay. Love it’s ease of use and plugging in a tap button expands its delay capability to 4 secs.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3850
    Dunlop Echoplex. Sounds superb and simple to use. The delay that (finally) got me into delay.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Keeley Eccos. My favourite delay pedal ever,. 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    MXR/Duncan Echoplex sounds great and you can add the "crinkled" sound of a worn out tape for a touch of warble, if that's your thing.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    El cap is lovely, but only 2 presets is a pain. 
    Volante is very good, sits really well in mix, and hours of fun with all the heads and stuff. 
    I'm a fan of the binson and space echo models in the helix too. 

Very keen to play with the Keely eccos aswell. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2197
    I would really like to try the Belle Epoch Deluxe 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    I have a TC Alter Ego X4 which purports to model a long list of old-school delay/echo effects. Tapes, drums, disks, oil baths, vintage digital or analog delay lines - you name it, there’s a version of it in there!

I have no clue as to how accurate to their inspirations the various models are but they’re all interesting in one way or another, usable, and distinct. Then there’s the tone print stuff on top which allows access to a whole lot of extra downloadable presets (some of which are very nice indeed) and, if you’ve got the PC app allows you all kinds of deep editing potential to play with and create your own models/patches/presets.

I really like it...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Boss RE20

A mate of mine's big brother had a Space Echo back in the day when I was just starting out.  It sounded amazing and I always wanted one.  The RE20 gets really close and the Helix emulation is great too
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    I picked up a Mr. Black Tapex 2 a few months back and I’m really enjoying its simplicity and its sonics. Fun pedal. 
  • Nocturne Mystery Brain
  • KeyrohKeyroh Frets: 59
    I'd go with Keeley Eccos for a standalone unit.
    For a multi use delay it'd be a toss up between the deep dive of the SA Nemesis or the simplicity of the DD-200
  • slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
    has anyone A/B'd the MXR echoplex with the Skreddy Echo? Not a million miles in price difference.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6110
    I've ended up with a used El Capistan and have to say I'm very impressed.  The wow & flutter, tape crinkle and age settings are sublime. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    Yes El Cap for me too. Doesn't always sound amazing at home levels but sounds fantastic at band volume.