NGD - Koa top RG (GSPBASSES content)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    That looks really nice. Enjoy the hell out of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    That's an absolute stunner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Nice! Good job!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Philly_Q said:
    Oh wow.  Reb Beach meets Guthrie Govan.
    Yep. It's pretty awesome :D 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Could you give us a few more details on the finishing process?  Have something in similar woods that I'm trying to figure out what to do with, and that looks great
  • RichardrichardRichardrichard Frets: 353
    edited April 2021
    There's a thread in the making and modding section, and WezV's thread/video on Tru Oil is worth a look.

I started off sanding to 600 grit and using Wez wet sanding method, but ultimately I wasn't happy with how scratched up it got after each pass (my fault, I'm sure). I sanded it back to 600 after probably 4-5 coats of Wez method and reverted to applying oil with an old T shirt, then immediately wiping it off so the coat was as thin as possible. Once dry, a light going over with liberon 00000 steel wool, wipe down then tack cloth, then another coat - probably 4 additional coats like this.

once I was happy I sanded from 600 to I think 1500 grit, then used the gun stock wax and buffed to a satin sheen. 

Worth noting, no stain, grain fill or anything else fancy.

Neck very similar approach but only 3-4 coats total (no wet sanding method) and then I run through the grits from 400-2000 grit in a burnishing sort of fashion so it feels raw but as smooth as glass - there's a good thread on this method on the warmoth forum (search for burnishing a raw neck). I do this to all my necks and can't stand a lacquered neck now, this is sooo much better!
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1003
    i bloody love that guitar
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• RichardrichardRichardrichard Frets: 353
    edited April 2021
    Looks awesome! Looking forward to hearing it. I think that'll be a good set of pickups for that (though I would say that).
    I recorded myself noodling for 5 minutes or so, THR10 with no pedals, effects or post editing and I didn't adjust the amp at all. Just showing how the guitar goes between my two favourite tones on the switch and volume control alone. If you like listening to a guy noodling around with EVH and SRV riffs, enjoy!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Got me gassing for another @GSPBASSES guitar. Hoping to have some funds by autumn and maybe I can go for a nice les paul double cut with a nice top.