Cheap headphones to use with amp modellers

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Jfc, you guys will argue about anything.

In other news, Superluxes came this morning. Perfect for my needs - they sound very good for both guitar and also plugged into my laptop to listen to music and play games.

Thanks guys
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Jfc, you guys will argue about anything.

In other news, Superluxes came this morning. Perfect for my needs - they sound very good for both guitar and also plugged into my laptop to listen to music and play games.

Thanks guys

Yep, for the money Superluxes are better than their AKG/Senn/Sony/etc counterparts, pound for pound!
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    Jota said:
    If you don't mind in-ears, KZs are great.
    I love my ES4 set. Also have a KZN Pro set that is sturdier and sounds a bit more "modern" and had a ZS10 set that had more drivers but sounded weird to me! The stereo separation was very odd!
    I've found KZ ZS10 Pros to be the best in their range. 

Even better though are Blon BL-03. Best sounding in ears I've ever used and astonishing they are under £40 given they are as good as anything you could get for £200. 

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    I'm off the cheap headphone bandwagon (which I did for many a year!). We spend loads on guitars, amp modellers, computers, etc., and then try to save a few quid on arguably the most important element. Absolute madness  :)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sitting here looking at a pair of HD681s sitting on the desk in front of me, I can only concur!
    Some interesting reviews here ..

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/superlux-hd-681.12304/reviews
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    edited April 2021
    I'm running an Axefx into full range monitors, it sounds great
    However my pricey HD650 headphones sound weedy with it

I wonder if headphones designed for drummers to use with e-Drums might have more impact ?
    e.g. the Roland RH-300V with bigger drivers than the RH-300 studio ones
    Roland - RH-300V | V-Drums Headphones
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    Jota said:
    If you don't mind in-ears, KZs are great.
    I love my ES4 set. Also have a KZN Pro set that is sturdier and sounds a bit more "modern" and had a ZS10 set that had more drivers but sounded weird to me! The stereo separation was very odd!
    I've found KZ ZS10 Pros to be the best in their range. 

Even better though are Blon BL-03. Best sounding in ears I've ever used and astonishing they are under £40 given they are as good as anything you could get for £200. 

I sold them to a drummer because he tried a set from his keyboard player and loved them!
    They're probably good for live playing but, I guess I'm so used to the ES4 set that everything else sounds a bit off.
  • Freebird said:
    I'm off the cheap headphone bandwagon (which I did for many a year!). We spend loads on guitars, amp modellers, computers, etc., and then try to save a few quid on arguably the most important element. Absolute madness  :)
    "We" may spend loads, but I don't. It doesn't make sense to me to pay more for a pair of headphones than I do for a guitar. But as you say, when you scale up the expenditure on everything else, there's no reason to stick with cheap headphones.

You're right about the reviews. And I don't have any quibbles with the weak points they identified. I'm certainly not wearing them as a fashion accessory!

I wonder if headphones designed for drummers to use with e-Drums might have more impact ?
    HD650 are fairly accurate (flat). You need headphones with a V-curve if you want to exaggerate the top and bottom end. Personally I prefer flat headphones so I can hear what is going to be recorded, but I also own some fun headphones for messing about.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928

I had the same issue - I have a couple of sets of mid-priced headphones, and the patch I use on my Helix sounds horrid into them, but great into my monitors. It also doesn't sound great into my FRFR. So now I have 3 different variations of a patch for each use case. Which makes sense because all three are wildly different.

It's easier to tune your modeller to your monitoring gear than the other way around, IMO.
    edited April 2021
    Bidley said:
    I had the same issue - I have a couple of sets of mid-priced headphones, and the patch I use on my Helix sounds horrid into them, but great into my monitors. It also doesn't sound great into my FRFR. So now I have 3 different variations of a patch for each use case. Which makes sense because all three are wildly different.

It's easier to tune your modeller to your monitoring gear than the other way around, IMO.
    Yes, live and studio sound are two different things, and it can even vary from room to room. The fun really starts when you discover the nightmare of mix translation, there is some proper voodoo going on there  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3399
    edited April 2021