How many of us

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    rlw said:
    Not even close :)
    Circuit Paul Ricard, Bandol. The real home of the Bol D'Or. 

I'm assuming you didn't get to drive at Le Mans on a closed road. Or did you?... 

I did.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Dominic said:
    rlw said:
    Well I'm sorry if I took poopot's post the wrong way as, I said, each to their own.

All I will say is that I suspect I'm in a minority on here if I say that I have actually used a 911 on track, somewhere in France where they run a bloody long r
    In all seriousness I don't think a 911 makes a great track car .....I used to have a '73 RS many years ago ( I know ,if only I had known then ) and had some hairy moments in that on track .....I suspect a modern GT or RS3 is great on a track but the standard road going cars are not particularly fun as they are road-user friendly and a little bit sterilised and de-horned .

Agreed. Too bouncy.  My last one was a 996GT3 which was not bouncy at all.  Should never have sold it.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Most check book bikers are big brand snobs, well when I used to ride sports bikes, I wasn't a poser, I was a courier doing 50k a year
    Been through blades, gsxrs, zx6 etc and trashed the lot but some good fun too

The posers had all the gear and no idea, especially on a track.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    At some point if there is enough uptake an unknown brand becomes a known name or even a revered name.

Happened to PRS, Suhr Charvel, Jackson, etc

It doesn't happen overnight but it starts off with players taking a punt on something that feels great/sounds great and inspires them to play, rather than obsessing over resale value at every moment in their life.
    then as the new popular brand gains acceptance or becomes greatly desired it holds its own resale value just as well as the previous established brands.

Gibson, Fender, Martin etc earned reputations when their competition was maybe lagging far behind, but many other companies caught up in terms of build quality and functionality, but they often lacked the 20+ years of being used by major artists, which is to this day something that drives sales.

But you should be judging each individual guitar on it's own merits as you can get some pieces of wood that work amazingly well together and make a fantastic guitar, but doesn't have the desired brand.

As someone that upgrades, fret dresses and sets up all different brands of guitars and then gets to play them, so many guitars have more in common than differences once nicely set-up assuming not lacking in vital areas.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    edited April 2021
    Thought i'd just chip in here, its been interesting to see where the thread has gone.
    Some people seem to be forgetting your guitar choices are a personal thing no right or wrong and no judgement asked.I was trying to see if there were people like me,  a guitar enthusiast who looks  upon an instrument, regardless of who made it, in its own right. 
    That was all!
    Personally I've been through 100's of guitars, lost interest in Fender and Gibson, happy with Eggle and Musicman, and still have a bitsa strat which has been tinkered with over the last twenty odd years and still isn't "right".and would love to be able to afford a Didonata Guitar but he isn't building the one I lust after anymore so thats that
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3008
    When I joined this forum knowing virtually nothing about guitars, it seemed to be that anyone who was playing at an advanced level had a Gibson or a Fender (for me 'advanced' meant being in a band or playing since they were a kid. I suppose you could swap the word advanced for the phrase 'know what they are doing')

Now, they either could tell the difference between a really expensive Gibson/Fender and a lesser guitar or they just wanted one because they too were led down this path as a beginner.

And so the cycle continues!

Until say, a really good guitarist in a really great band comes along and is playing something completely different. Others follow suit and before you know it another quality brand has been born.

Thing is, this hasn't quite happened has it ?  Gibson's and Fender's have stood the test of time. People will still pay thousands of pounds for them.

They must be doing something right.

Maybe in a collection there is room for an up and coming brand who just might become the new Gibson or Fender in thirty years time. Something bought for a few hundred quid now could be worth double or treble that in the future. 

Question is: who is this new brand in 2021 that guitarists in 2051 will drool about owning?  The original 2021 edition, bought for £200, sells for £20k!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    Shrews said:
    ... Until say, a really good guitarist in a really great band comes along and is playing something completely different. Others follow suit and before you know it another quality brand has been born.
    Eddie Van Halen?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited April 2021
    Roland said:
    Shrews said:
    ... Until say, a really good guitarist in a really great band comes along and is playing something completely different. Others follow suit and before you know it another quality brand has been born.
    Eddie Van Halen?
    Absolutely.

While thinking about this topic and even though he isn't such an obviously innovative force, I can't help but think of Brian May who managed to carve out a fairly decent career and some passable guitar noises  while playing an odd shaped, one off plank with no name on the headstock or discernible existing guitaristic reference points ( I know that's not quite true, but an even more Frankenstein guitar than EVH's , in it's way )
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    All about the individual guitar.  I’ve owned ans sold PRSs, Gibsons and Fenders, my 3 favourite and most used guitars are Japanese Gretsch, and Tokai and a partscaster 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    I've had an Arrowhead Telecaster, a Sandberg bass when nobody had heard of them, and a Marleaux when they were made in a tiny cabin in Germany.

All superb.

Couldn't give a crap about the name on the headstock.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I've had an Arrowhead Telecaster, a Sandberg bass when nobody had heard of them, and a Marleaux when they were made in a tiny cabin in Germany.

All superb.

Couldn't give a crap about the name on the headstock.

Just thought you'd mention them anyway though?

;) 
    Let's face it we all care about how we are perceived, and the ones that go on about how much they don't care probably care the most  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Let's face it we all care about how we are perceived, and the ones that go on about how much they don't care probably care the most  :)
    I like your thinking  =) 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    That’s as logical as many other playground retorts. 

What the thread shows is how emotional some people get when others don’t share their values. I don’t personally have any interest in reliced guitars, and I’m not inspired by branding, but I’m not going to denigrate those who are.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Nah it’s the internets innit!.

in real life I’m a complete cunt!
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    At some point if there is enough uptake an unknown brand becomes a known name or even a revered name.

Happened to PRS, Suhr Charvel, Jackson, etc

It doesn't happen overnight but it starts off with players taking a punt on something that feels great/sounds great and inspires them to play, rather than obsessing over resale value at every moment in their life.
    then as the new popular brand gains acceptance or becomes greatly desired it holds its own resale value just as well as the previous established brands.

Gibson, Fender, Martin etc earned reputations when their competition was maybe lagging far behind, but many other companies caught up in terms of build quality and functionality, but they often lacked the 20+ years of being used by major artists, which is to this day something that drives sales.

But you should be judging each individual guitar on it's own merits as you can get some pieces of wood that work amazingly well together and make a fantastic guitar, but doesn't have the desired brand.

As someone that upgrades, fret dresses and sets up all different brands of guitars and then gets to play them, so many guitars have more in common than differences once nicely set-up assuming not lacking in vital areas.
    On the subject of brands,

Could I ask a question regarding something IMO is sometimes overlooked, probably not to you though.

Do you notice certain brands have softer fretwire than others?
    Roland said:
    That’s as logical as many other playground retorts. 

What the thread shows is how emotional some people get when others don’t share their values. I don’t personally have any interest in reliced guitars, and I’m not inspired by branding, but I’m not going to denigrate those who are.
    That is not how I read @LastMantra 's  post at all. There is a certain position that states that the individual in question will not be seen playing X,Y, or Z, because of the particular brand / guitar's associations to either bling, uncoolness, value, blah blah, and then states that they don't care about what anyone else thinks about the guitar they are playing. The problem is that they. very much do, and have a level of intolerance to those who do not fit to their own perceptions of acceptability. I may have it wrong and apologise to @LastMantra if I misrepresent their views. 
    You've probably both got a point