How many of us

What's Hot

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    poopot said:
    rlw said:
    Or by people with lots of money who can afford the very best
    Not really... I can afford to buy one tbh... it’s just I don’t feel the need to drive around in a massive penis extension!...

again... most Porsche owners very rarely take their cars on a track... I’d say the majority
    of porsches are driven at normal road speeds to the shops and back...

a parallel can be drawn to folk who buy the expensive branded guitars but can’t play...

why? Just to pose... end of.

I'm not sure if you are intending to be offensive and I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

As you say - end of.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    rlw said:

I'm not sure if you are intending to be offensive and I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

As you say - end of.
    Not sure I follow? Who am I being offensive to?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    poopot said:
    rlw said:

As you say - end of.
    All the people who have different motivations and criteria for choosing guitars than you do, by calling them posers.

If that's not what you're intending to say...perhaps it might help to explain by re-wording it in a less confrontational manner?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021
    poopot said:
    rlw said:

As you say - end of.
    All the people who have different motivations and criteria for choosing guitars than you do, by calling them posers.

If that's not what you're intending to say...perhaps it might help to explain by re-wording it in a less confrontational manner?
    I don’t understand the mentality of dismissing a guitar because of looks, not the correct brand, different headstock shape etc etc when that guitar could be the “one” that you are searching for!

If you are looking for a decent instrument to play what does it matter if it doesn’t conform to what is the expected norm?

You have a few jaden rose guitars, I’m not a massive fan of the looks tbh but I wouldn’t rule one out just based on that!. 

I’ve just put together what could be considered the ugliest guitar I’ve come across and it’s a bit marmite even for me, but it hangs really well on a strap, plays and sounds cracking and has to be the most comfy guitar to play sat down!... I honestly am not sure about the looks but it’s staying because it’s a great guitar. 

Not meaning to be confrontational at all... and contrary to what folk may think, I do realise people have their own reasons for choosing whatever guitar they want and that’s great. But to just dismiss something based on looks or future resale etc is alien to me. Each to their own n all that!.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Inverted snobbery is still snobbery. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    I had a Gibson Studio ES-339 for a while, and the logo turned out to be the best thing about it. That was my first (and only so far) Gibson. It was a real dud, and not worth the money I paid for it. However, due to the name, I was able to sell it at a reasonable price.  
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    poopot said:
    poopot said:
    rlw said:

As you say - end of.

I don’t understand the mentality of dismissing a guitar because of looks, not the correct brand, different headstock shape etc etc when that guitar could be the “one” that you are searching for!

If you are looking for a decent instrument to play what does it matter if it doesn’t conform to what is the expected norm?

You have a few jaden rose guitars, I’m not a massive fan of the looks tbh but I wouldn’t rule one out just based on that!. 

I’ve just put together what could be considered the ugliest guitar I’ve come across and it’s a bit marmite even for me, but it hangs really well on a strap, plays and sounds cracking and has to be the most comfy guitar to play sat down!... I honestly am not sure about the looks but it’s staying because it’s a great guitar. 

Not meaning to be confrontational at all... and contrary to what folk may think, I do realise people have their own reasons for choosing whatever guitar they want and that’s great. But to just dismiss something based on looks or future resale etc is alien to me. Each to their own n all that!.
    That's much better ;)
    <space for hire>
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    It's a funny word ' Poser '
    We are all ' Posers '.....whether it's the car ,the house, boat,clothes,jewellery, Holiday choice , even mundane items like the Dyson .I guess the first Neanderthall to strap on a fur thong was considered a Poser by his naked Cave-mates !
    Some people are orientated towards different priorities .....drive a shitty car but buy a valuable house and some live in an ex-council house but have a Range Rover on the drive 
    Somebody who drives a Ferrari ( irrespective of whether they drive on a racetrack ) may just be somebody who gets excited by cars and it makes them feel good or they simply love the looks /engineering .....I regard Porsche as a very discreet Sports car .Practical and humble ....a VW Beetle on steroids with a minimum of fuss and fancy.That was the design ethos of the 911 although sadly they have strayed from that mantra ;it was a car you could take shopping with no fuss or highly strung engine antics.
    An antithesis of a Poseur 's car.
    It's a real shame that they have moved on from that ethos with blingy over-sized water-cooled models that have become a bit grotesque after the 996/ 997 shape.I drove a Panamera 4s from Hertfordshire to Suffolk last week and it was pretty soulless.
     I have had 911 E and 911T in the years when the Italian sports car equivalent was a Dino or Boxer or even a Miura that spent more time in the garage than it ever did on the road but the little Porsche with it's little boxer 2 litre engine or 2.4 just kept reilably plodding on like it's VW cousin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

The OP asked who would be prepared to look at a guitar without a famous brand on the headstock.

My view is that if your criterion for buying a guitar is looks, brand or resale value then a custom made bespoke guitar isn’t going to be for you.

I’ve witnessed exactly what it takes to turn a pile of wood into handcrafted instruments. It’s a shit load of time, effort and skill. To dismiss the possibility of owning such a guitar based on looks etc undermines what guitar builders are trying to do... I’m fairly certain the like of Daniels, feline and Ivison are fed up with hearing that their guitars don’t compare to the big brands because of X, Y, Z.

it’s a shame because you really will be getting a better quality instrument compared to the big brands...

As for being a snob? I gig a couple of fender teles and a couple of my own guitars...I don’t own any bespoke instruments built by anyone other than myself. I have played more than a few handbuilt guitars and have been lent a few as well... 

to answer the original question of would I consider a guitar on its own merit? Every day of the week!!!

as for the Porsche thing, there’s a tool for each job and that tool doesn’t have to be the most expensive or big branded tool!... it was said Porsche are bought by folk who “have lots of money and want the best” try getting 10 sheets of 8x4 plasterboard in one and see how that stacks up!... ;)

• tsj93tsj93 Frets: 56
    think that's the first time i've seen the word steroids being used without the words les paul and tele in the same sentence 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited April 2021
    I'm late to this one but as someone who's job is to get up everyone morning to create new music and get it recorded, I couldn't care less about resale value, because I very rarely move instruments on. That does not mean that I don't have a lot of stuff from familiar makers and brands, If I think the instrument will give me something that either makes me think differently about my music in terms of feel, handling and tonal options, I have probably bought it and used it. When I need fresh inspiration and feel a bit jaded, I will pull out another case or two and see if anything works to unblock the creative process. Sometimes that means dragging out a 70's Yamaha as opposed to a CS guitar that, while still great is not doing it for me on the day in question. There is no cool /uncool, investment/cheap as far as the end product goes whether it's a bit of screen soundtrack or a song for the publisher to sell. A lot of friends in a similar area of the business to me have stuff in regular workday use that would be anathema to some gear focussed types who inhabit the various guitar forums ( the FB isn't too bad to be fair ).

If I am honest, my real love has always been acoustic guitar. That world is quite interesting in relation to the OP's question. At a general " I fancy a good acoustic guitar but not sure what to get ?" level , the general consensus would be Martin, Gibson, Taylor (the latter frowned upon for many years for not looking traditional enough, until time moved that one out of the way )After that you will get the, probably more honest answer to such a question ( more disliked on USA based forums ) "get a Yamaha, Eastman etc. it will do you just as well". This point could be debated for years, and has been already. 

Then there is a whole other ballgame in the acoustic scene, that does not really translate to the relatively conservative electric market, the world of boutique built guitars. Here it gets interesting. There are a plethora of builders, very small shop or single man enterprises, who while being mostly unheard of to the mass market buyers, have 2/3 year waiting lists and run at £20k plus in quite a few cases. Every year there are new names on the "in the know" list, while others inexplicable fall off. The guys buying at the boutique end of the acoustic scene have to be either a) rich enough to risk losing a lot if they are gambling on an investment ,b) Wanting an special instrument to have as some kind of talking point or c) players who, while being able to afford it, are looking for a special guitar and will play the hell out of it to make music regardless of any thoughts to resale or whether anyone looking on recognises the maker.

Before the zombie apocalypse, I used to get out and tour twice a year solo. The thought has just hit me that two of the guitars that were top of my list to gig ( and still get used a lot now ), have no makers name on the headstock and do not look anything like a Martin or a Gibson. I guess that there were those in the audience who wondered  if I couldn't afford a proper guitar, I will let them go on wondering
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8705
    poopot said:

The OP asked who would be prepared to look at a guitar without a famous brand on the headstock.

My view is that if your criterion for buying a guitar is looks, brand or resale value then a custom made bespoke guitar isn’t going to be for you.
    My view is that this thread is about our personal values, and how they influence our guitar buying decisions. It surprises me that people will have a bespoke guitar made, and then stick a Fender logo on it. That’s just my personal value set. There’s nothing right or wrong about it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    poopot said:

My view is that this thread is about our personal values, and how they influence our guitar buying decisions. It surprises me that people will have a bespoke guitar made, and then stick a Fender logo on it. That’s just my personal value set. There’s nothing right or wrong about it.
    Well that wrong obvs but just goes to show how much folk care about what they are perceived to be playing I guess... 
    Well I'm sorry if I took poopot's post the wrong way as, I said, each to their own.

All I will say is that I suspect I'm in a minority on here if I say that I have actually used a 911 on track, somewhere in France where they run a bloody long race.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18758
    ^ Tour de France?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe?
    Not even close :)
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4779
    rlw said:
    Not even close :)
    Circuit Paul Ricard, Bandol. The real home of the Bol D'Or. 

I'm assuming you didn't get to drive at Le Mans on a closed road. Or did you?... 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    rlw said:
    Well I'm sorry if I took poopot's post the wrong way as, I said, each to their own.

All I will say is that I suspect I'm in a minority on here if I say that I have actually used a 911 on track, somewhere in France where they run a bloody long r
    In all seriousness I don't think a 911 makes a great track car .....I used to have a '73 RS many years ago ( I know ,if only I had known then ) and had some hairy moments in that on track .....I suspect a modern GT or RS3 is great on a track but the standard road going cars are not particularly fun as they are road-user friendly and a little bit sterilised and de-horned .
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Dominic said:
    rlw said:

All I will say is that I suspect I'm in a minority on here if I say that I have actually used a 911 on track, somewhere in France where they run a bloody long r
    In all seriousness I don't think a 911 makes a great track car .....I used to have a '73 RS many years ago ( I know ,if only I had known then ) and had some hairy moments in that on track .....I suspect a modern GT or RS3 is great on a track but the standard road going cars are not particularly fun as they are road-user friendly and a little bit sterilised and de-horned .

You can probably have more fun on the roads in a horrible little car.  My first car was a Peugeot 104.  It had typical soft French suspension and really leaned when you took corners fast.  Some corners felt really fast in that at 40mph.  In my friend's dad's nice new car, you could cruise round them at 60mph no problem.