Nutcase on Gumtree

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30924

There was a lovely Gretsch Elliot Easton model G5570 on Gumtree.

I made contact with the guy- I offered him £425 on asking price of £450. He said no, but I did like it so offered him the full price. At this point I kind of gleaned he was a little strange....however, he agreed to do it, I said I'd transfer the money and asked him for details.

The next thing I know is, whilst I'm playing cricket, he's totally stuffed me on the deal because seemingly he'd googled my house and had decided that I was a music shop (I live in a converted warehouse as a few on here have seen when we've done deals)

He then said I'd not asked enough questions to prove I was legit.....like this is a binary thing- I'm not going to ask someone I don't know what a guitar is like as inevitably it'll be 'as new' 'untouched' etc if he's trying to sell it- so I stick to my price and work on caveat emptor...

My own view is he's a bit strange but also incredibly judgemental.

His name is Adam and he lives in Bolton.

It's a shame as I have always wanted one of those but I believe in Karma and I reckon any money he spends on a new guit will prove painful.

Rant over

Save to say if anyone has a G5570 inbox me!!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Email him this thread- we can all vouch for you.
    Well, some of us.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Did you let him know you are a wealthy Nigerian business man and you were offering him money for the exchange of his bank details? Because, that might of swayed him.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    gooooood morning sir, my name is george agdgdgdgwingo and i'm just calling you say.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30924
    LOL nice one..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    why would he care whether you're a trader if he gets the price he wants when he wants it?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Is it because he's a nutcase?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7873
    was it the Chinese or Korean model Eston Eliott?

I've seen minty Chinese ones go for as little as £280 on eBay.  

Marlin
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    I used to work in Bolton and found the people were almost always delightful - he sounds risk averse - I wouldn't take it personally.

Rather than just e-mailing him this thread, I'd e-mail links to all your recent 'GAS' threads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited July 2014
    Why not try and get one of 'us' to buy it for you? If I lived in Bolton I'd collect it for you - perhaps someone on here lives nearby?

If you like the guitar and think it's a fair price don't let the buyer put you off.

Where there's a will there's a way etc etc...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Ive had a few Gumtree nutters over Camera gear, Ive met some lovely people too. Law of averages I guess...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TheMarlin said:
    was it the Chinese or Korean model Eston Eliott?

I've seen minty Chinese ones go for as little as £280 on eBay.  

Marlin

Korean....

Lads thanks- this was the last piece in my recent collective activity....I'm annoyed. If anyone sees one give me a heads up.

jeztone2 said:
    Ive had a few Gumtree nutters over Camera gear, Ive met some lovely people too. Law of averages I guess...

Yeah I got my Anderson on Gumtree from a lovely Scots guy and he's been texting me to see what I think....he really loved the Anderson but lost his job...

(I think it's the best guitar I've ever owned...)

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Gumtree is a bizarre place to trade.

If I get another 'what is you lowest price' texts, I swear I'll never pick up another hitchhiker again...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @bogwhoppit

Hmmmmmm- what are you selling ? (just so's I can text you!)

Anyway, whilst he was pulling out of the deal I was creaming a little 86 off 71 balls at Lord's v England Deaf Cricket, occasioning the MCC Skipper to ask me 'Were they fucking blind as well as deaf?!"

So whilst pissed off, that softened the blow....my body is now officially as wrecked as Rory's strat.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Avoid Gumtree, everyone on there is nuts or a criminal.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    edited September 2017
    Not true @mellowsun. I've had some good deals on Gumtree and met some good honest, genuine people. Haven't met a nutcase yet (I said YET.) Off to meet a guy tomorrow to pick up an early 90s LP. It's eBay that seems to have the nutjobs, freaks and rip off merchants!
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    I got my Two Rock from Gumtree. Was a fabulous item at an even more fabulous price, and the guy was an absolute legend to deal with. Even hired a rehearsal space for an hour for me to crank it… and brought a CS Strat, a vintage TS808 and a Klon along for me to hear (I didn't know or even ask for any of this, he sorted it on the same day I called and collected it!).

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Why on earth would he google you? That's just creepy. I googled some guys address when I was picking up a pedal just so i knew what the house looked like. But googling a buyer is a bit wrong in my book.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    Don't worry mate, anyone else who tries to find you will only get this ;-)

• NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    Gassage said:
    @bogwhoppit

Hmmmmmm- what are you selling ? (just so's I can text you!)

Anyway, whilst he was pulling out of the deal I was creaming a little 86 off 71 balls at Lord's v England Deaf Cricket, occasioning the MCC Skipper to ask me 'Were they fucking blind as well as deaf?!"

So whilst pissed off, that softened the blow....my body is now officially as wrecked as Rory's strat.
    Are you an egg and baconer?  :)