Are you as good as you are gonna get?

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    edited August 2014
    I recently heard a tape of my playing a solo live when I was 21 (in 1985).

It was clear listening to it that I was playing at the limit of my technique and the harmonic knowledge I had at the time. It was bloody marvellous....

Could I replicate that now? In an 'off the cuff' situation - no. Could I learn it note-for-note? - yes. Would it have the 'verve' I had on that tape? Nowhere near....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Got a video of me at a concert back in 87, bloody awful! And by god my jeans were tight !
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ianb62Ianb62 Frets: 22
    Ianb62 said:
    Sadly yes- love music, surround myself with it - love guitars , and used to surround myself with them - but zero talent - and I have tried, practised but no aptitude- so CAGED and "100 songs with 4 chords" for me for life

CAGED is 5 chords so technically you're already improving! :D

The only way is up ! (note to self - how many chords in that 80's classic)

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    I've found that clarity of mind when practicing is very, very important and reflects the amount you learn, retain and so improve. I like to totally focus my attention on the subject, be relaxed and not in a hurry to learn. It's took 30+ years to be at the level I am now and I'm always slowly improving, but there's no hurry, I'm enjoying the journey.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I'm definitely a better player: I have a much wider vocabulary, and much better sense of time and phrasing.

When is doing my most number of gigs (150 or so gigs a year) about 20 years ago now, I got very consistent at doing what I did then, but I wasn't as rounded a player.

I also now play with much better musicians than I used to (certainly much better than me); you should really improve in that environment.

Despite the fact that the guitar is (probably) the most popular instrument, I personnally think that the general standard of musicianship of guitarists seems a lot lower than other instrument players (horns for example).

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    jpfamps;325040" said:
    I also now play with much better musicians than I used to (certainly much better than me); you should really improve in that environment.

Despite the fact that the guitar is (probably) the most popular instrument, I personnally think that the general standard of musicianship of guitarists seems a lot lower than other instrument players (horns for example).
    Its so true that playing with better players develops your skills better than anything else.

I played in a band in the mid-80s with significantly older, top-notch players and I probably learned more in the year or so we were together than at any other time.

I fully agree about the general standard of musicianship among guitarists also.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    Define 'good'.

I'd say I've gotten a lot better at playing with people, listening to what other people are doing, getting my sound to sit well in a band scenario. I'm not afraid of ripping out a solo, but I've firmly in the 'pricking around in the pentatonic' camp and have no interest in speed. As a teen I was into Slayer and Mustaine, and I wanted to shred, but Dinosaur Jr and Sonic Youth put an end to that.

So I guess my answer would be no, I'm not as good as I'm going to get. But if I stopped playing with folk I'd stagnate pretty quickly.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744

jpfamps said:
    I personnally think that the general standard of musicianship of guitarists seems a lot lower than other instrument players (horns for example).

I agree, as a gross generalisation, this is sadly true.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • GuyBoden;325379" said:
    jpfamps said:

I personnally think that the general standard of musicianship of guitarists seems a lot lower than other instrument players (horns for example).

I think this true for the simple reason people pick it up for themselves without trained tutors.
    But guitarists often show more flair and invention than other musicians for the same reasons.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    The older I get the better I was...

But in reality I started late (in my early 40's), and there just isn't enough time to practice and learn - I end up kind of panicking: what should I be learning? Scales? Theory? A bit of each? Which bits?

I would say though that I have noticed definite improvement after sustained periods of practice - which does bolster confidence. And I shall keep at it (now early 50's) as I find it one of the few things that I have to concentrate so much on to get things right, that it temporarily takes my mind off everything else.   

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415

GuyBoden said:

jpfamps said:

I'm not so sure, I've worked with plenty of horn players who could read quite well but couldn't adjust at all when the guy leading the band wanted to change something. If it's not in the dots I can't play it etc. Much as I have respect for musicians who sight read you also have to be able to play with your ears 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:

GuyBoden said:

jpfamps said:

I'm not so sure, I've worked with plenty of horn players who could read quite well but couldn't adjust at all when the guy leading the band wanted to change something. If it's not in the dots I can't play it etc. Much as I have respect for musicians who sight read you also have to be able to play with your ears 

All the horn players I play with both read, are great improvisers and have really good ears.

I think you have mistakenly assumed that I think that horn players are better musicians than guitarists because they can sight read.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415
    jpfamps said:
    Danny1969 said:

GuyBoden said:

jpfamps said:

All the horn players I play with both read, are great improvisers and have really good ears.

I think you have mistakenly assumed that I think that horn players are better musicians than guitarists because they can sight read.
    No, I'm just stating there are horn players who aren't that great at doing both I spose. I  think the standard of session drummers, guitarist and bass players we get in the studio is higher than the standard of horn player. Maybe because you have to be that much better in a more competitive area I spose
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
    GuyBoden;325379" said:
    jpfamps said:

I think this true for the simple reason people pick it up for themselves without trained tutors.
    But guitarists often show more flair and invention than other musicians for the same reasons.
    What I think is incredible is the number of formally trained (especially classical) musicians that don't write...it just completely baffles me that you can get that good at playing but have no interest in what is...for me..the whole reason to be playing in the first place.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Danny1969 said:
    jpfamps said:
    Danny1969 said:

GuyBoden said:

jpfamps said:

No, I'm just stating there are horn players who aren't that great at doing both I spose. I  think the standard of session drummers, guitarist and bass players we get in the studio is higher than the standard of horn player. Maybe because you have to be that much better in a more competitive area I spose
    Well that is not my experience.
    GuyBoden;325379" said:
    jpfamps said:

What I think is incredible is the number of formally trained (especially classical) musicians that don't write...it just completely baffles me that you can get that good at playing but have no interest in what is...for me..the whole reason to be playing in the first place.
    Everyone has their reasons for learning an instrument; just because they don't coincide with yours doesn't mean they are wrong.
  • My reason for playing is sheer enjoyment, hopefully others will like what I do, if not, no problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My reason for playing is sheer enjoyment, hopefully others will like what I do, if not, no problem.
    Me too.
  • My reason for playing is sheer enjoyment, hopefully others will like what I do, if not, no problem.
    Yarp.

I'm miles better when playing with a drummer.  Miles better than even with a metronome, you can really lock into a groove.  Solo, I suck.  I don't really have an internal metronome.