Are you as good as you are gonna get?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Since I joined an acoustic band and started playing acoustic guitar in anger for the first time, my electric and acoustic playing have both got better. So I am better now than at any time in the last 28 years I reckon. I believe I will continue getting "better", be that in finger strength or muscial know-how, although I do not have a goal in mind.

I am still a much worse player on stage than I am in the bedroom so there is room to improve!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4702
    I hope not after less than a month in..............................starting late wasn't the best idea ever though.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • frankus said:
    I think anyone answering the OP's question with no - can be categorised as having a "growth mindset" - is getting there that big a deal? Won't it be dull if you do get there? Will you really have got there?
    I don't know if I understand you.

I'm actually still getting better - I'm not great or anything, but the better I get the happier I am with my playing, and I can branch out and learn more styles.  

I think. 

Or have I completely misunderstood your point? I just love making noises, and as I get better I make better noises which is good. 

So for me, getting there isn't a big deal, but the process of getting there and the rewards for it is what makes playing worthwhile. 
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Certainly not, I have much more to learn and I intend to learn it. After 18 months with my ex who made me feel guilty for even thinking about my guitars, I've got some catching up to do and I had to re-learn a lot of stuff. 
    I'm really focussing on riff writing at the moment, and will hopefully have an EP out by the time I leave 6th form (Before my 19th birthday)
    I'm trying to expand musically, as well as on guitar. So I'm teaching myself to scream right now, and then onto drums and drum programming and then onto mixing/mastering etc.
    I'm also currently saving up for my biggest GAS ever, and it's not something I've seen on this forum before either ;) should open up some nice new avenues to explore for me.

If I was to list the things I need to do:
    • Learn scales etc.
    • break out of pentatonic boxes
    • Speed 
    • cleanliness
    • chord knowledge
    • lyric writing
    • drum programming
    • Bassline writing
    • Improvisation
    • sight reading
    • Theory