PSA: New Jet City amp in the UK

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Yes Simon called and emailed me regarding the parcelforce issue I've had, they're gonna assess the damage when thy get it back and well go from there. The comms so far have been first class, especially when you consider we are talking about budget equipment here. They only brought 2 JCA20HV's into the country to start with! and mine was one of them (the others sold).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I don't understand the non warranty of valves in amps, AFAIK that's actually against your statutory consumer rights and would never hold up in court if you pressed them. The Valves are an integral part of the amp and as such are covered by Uk law for the first 12 months of ownership. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72371
    Si_ said:
    I don't understand the non warranty of valves in amps, AFAIK that's actually against your statutory consumer rights and would never hold up in court if you pressed them. The Valves are an integral part of the amp and as such are covered by Uk law for the first 12 months of ownership.
    Does the same apply to guitar strings?

If not, why not, and why does it apply to valves? Both have a limited life expectancy, are intended to be replaced at regular intervals, and are known to fail with no warning or fault of the guitar/amp manufacturer.

Just curious. Personally I agree with you on new amps, although not on second hand ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    2nd hand I agree with, it's totally different. 

I can see sense in people only giving a warranty on valves for 3 months as like you said these a perishable items, but how can a company not warranty a valve from new for any length of time like Jet City are doing.. that can't be legal. They are basically saying if your amp arrives DOA then though, you're not covered. That's illegal.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26608
    Si_ said: 2nd hand I agree with, it's totally different. 
    I can see sense in people only giving a warranty on valves for 3 months as like you said these a perishable items, but how can a company not warranty a valve from new for any length of time like Jet City are doing.. that can't be legal. They are basically saying if your amp arrives DOA then though, you're not covered. That's illegal.

It may be different for the UK guys. I bought a JCA22H from the US and they shipped it over here (back before they opened the UK shop) - turned out to have a fault which
    looked like it was a valve issue. However, they still paid for it to be checked out by a tech and then - when it wasn't a valve issue (it was a broken bias pot, IIRC) - shipped the part over and paid for the tech to fix it as well.

It's entirely possible that the UK shop operates under different rules - I don't know what the equivalent laws are like in the UK and the US. Relevant bits from their T&Cs:

9. Warranty
    9.1 All goods supplied by the Supplier are warranted free from defects for 6 months from the date of supply (unless otherwise stated). This warranty does not affect your statutory rights as a consumer.
    9.2 This warranty does not apply to any defect in the goods arising from fair wear and tear, willful damage, accident, negligence by you or any third party, use otherwise than as recommended by the Supplier, failure to follow the Supplier’s instructions, or any alteration or repair carried out without the Supplier’s approval.
    9.3 If the goods supplied to you are damaged on delivery, you should notify the Supplier in writing via the email address shown above within 48 hours.
    9.4 If the goods supplied to you develop a defect while under warranty or you have any other complaint about the goods, you should notify the Supplier in writing via the email address shown above, as soon as possible, but in any event within 7 days of the date you discovered or ought to have discovered the damage, defect or complaint.

So...looks like a 6 month warranty (which I don't actually believe, because conversations I've had with them suggest that it's a year). In any case, there doesn't seem to be any exemption for valves, so they appear to be covered too.
    <space for hire>
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Seriously tempted to get a 100 HDM at the price they're after, not heard a bad demo of those things, Soldano-esque tones for under £400 quid? Derp.
    sted said:
    Seriously tempted to get a 100 HDM at the price they're after, not heard a bad demo of those things, Soldano-esque tones for under £400 quid? Derp.
    I've got to say...while I was using my Celestion-based cab (V30+G12T), I was really starting to get desperate for a depth control. However, now that I'm back to using the Jet City speakers in a Jet City cab, I don't feel like I'm lacking any low end at all. Even though my original assessment of these speakers was that they're fizzy and toppy as hell, now that I've spent some time with them I've found that the presence control is actually useful (most people using Celestions just keep the presence on zero, as I did) now that I've got the bottom end back in my tone.
    <space for hire>
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Do you know how long it's going to be before they have 20HV back in stock on daily basis?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    How many are you planning on buying?!?!?! :D
    Well an update from my failed NAD. The JCA20HV was returned to Jet City due to being "damaged" according to Parcelfarce. Jet City have tested it and apparently it's absolutely fine, not even the box is damaged! So they're posting it back out for Monday delivery, fingers crossed!

Have to say that comms from Jet City UK shop has been really good.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Their comms with me was awesome too.
    So far i'm really chuffed with everything Jet City.

If only i've have listened to you guys and got one months ago. 
    dindude;316171" said:
    Well an update from my failed NAD. The JCA20HV was returned to Jet City due to being "damaged" according to Parcelfarce. Jet City have tested it and apparently it's absolutely fine, not even the box is damaged! So they're posting it back out for Monday delivery, fingers crossed!

Has it arrived mate? I'm very tempted, but only thing I can do is join the wait list. @digitalscream - any idea when they'll have them in stock?
    Has it arrived mate? I'm very tempted, but only thing I can do is join the wait list. @digitalscream - any idea when they'll have them in stock?
    I've asked, but they're a bit busy at the mo. Unfortunately, my JCA22H was a non-starter - they tried replacing the valves, but it still failed so they sent it to a tech and it turns out there's a fault with the board :(
    <space for hire>
    dindude;316171" said:

Nothing yet! Was supposed to be here yesterday, I have been at work but I know from last time that Parcelforce didn't even leave a card to say they had been. Jet City provided a tracking number last time which is why I knew it had failed, have emailed them for the tracking number for this latest delivery but it is getting a little silly now. I get loads of things delivered which either go to the neighbours or I pick up from depot, not sure why this is proving so difficult.
    Hope You have finally put your hands on it mate!
  • Looks awesome... 

:D

I'm on the lookout for an amp in the coming future and my main concerns are reliability, build quality and great edge of breakup and downright dirty rawk tones.  The 100HDM looks like a very real contender.  

Actually, if the 20HV had a clean(er) channel, I'd go for that - the depth control really seems to be an essential from the demos I've seen of the HDM.  

Perhaps something that may come soon...?
    Looks awesome... 

:D

I'm on the lookout for an amp in the coming future and my main concerns are reliability, build quality and great edge of breakup and downright dirty rawk tones.  The 100HDM looks like a very real contender.  

Actually, if the 20HV had a clean(er) channel, I'd go for that - the depth control really seems to be an essential from the demos I've seen of the HDM.  

Perhaps something that may come soon...?
    The depth control is only really necessary if you don't use the Jet City cabs - they have waaaaay more low-end than the average Celestion or Eminence. Also...if you don't have the depth control and you use (for example) V30s, the presence control needs to stay on 0 - 1. If you use V30s and do have the depth control, the presence control is a lot more usable.
    <space for hire>
  • Cheers man.  

I will see what happens - I have my eyes on an amp at the moment, I just need to wait a couple of weeks before I have the dollar.  But if it sells before then, Jet City seems a logical choice, or a used Laney Ironheart.  

I'd rather the Jet City methinks, just for the reliability and repairability, but the HDM looks like you can get a pretty nice clean tone from it.  :D
    BigBearKris;321984" said:
    Hope You have finally put your hands on it mate!
    Er, no. I've asked for a refund. Second delivery came, didn't leave a card and returned to supplier! No hard feelings to the UK Jet City guys (although they should really look at their carriers, doesn't make great business sense to not be able to get product to customers).

If you're quick in you might get your hands on it yourself.
    dindude;322135" said:
    [quote="BigBearKris;321984"]Hope You have finally put your hands on it mate!
    Er, no. I've asked for a refund. Second delivery came, didn't leave a card and returned to supplier! No hard feelings to the UK Jet City guys (although they should really look at their carriers, doesn't make great business sense to not be able to get product to customers).

If you're quick in you might get your hands on it yourself.[/quote]

Oh no man! That's too bad...
    It's not JCA's fault, but bad courier is a problem for me too - apart from ups and dpd, collections and delivered are a nightmare with my address. I'll contact the store and see if there's any chance to book different courier. Such a shame, I was looking forward to review!