Comments

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    Cash price £156! ...if only  :'(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
    Thanks Albert, I’ve been pm’d about him as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Holy crap, that is the cleanest original 60's Fender I have ever seen, and never seen one with the original receipt in that condition either.  The whole thing can pass as brand new.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9314
    If you were selling, I’d be talking to Mike at ATB. The right buyer will probably pay early 5 figures for it at a guess. The lack of original case knocks it back and it’s not a custom colour which fetch really top dollar.
    chris78 said:
    If you were selling, I’d be talking to Mike at ATB. The right buyer will probably pay early 5 figures for it at a guess. The lack of original case knocks it back and it’s not a custom colour which fetch really top dollar.
    I nearly bought an era correct case (£450) but this is how it was originally purchased. It’s the condition and provenance that sets it apart imo. I’ve got the Vintage price guide arriving Tuesday which should also help, then I’ll call ATB.Thanks.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2288
    edited May 2021
    There’s an overseas market. Japan. USA. Don’t underestimate the “birth year” and “Dream Tele” value to the right person at the right time,  someone born in 66 might be searching for that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1347
    chris78 said:
    I think you are in the right range here. I'd guess retail at £12k ish, maybe 13 max. ATB has had a number of very nice 66s around £9k, and also understands the extra value of a minter, so would be well qualified to offer advice. I think for a post CBS instrument the ceiling for a mint example is significantly lower than for 64 and earlier.
    Lovely looking guitar BTW, does it play/sound as well as it looks? I have a blonde 66 of my own, they are fabulous guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10222
    edited May 2021
    Make sure you contact other vintage shops too. There’s plenty of other places who will give you a quote/make you an offer. 

@GuyR 1965 Fenders are often L series too and are still very valuable. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 743
    edited May 2021
    Use the search facility on the Gardiner Houlgate Auctions website

https://auctions.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/auction-results/

Type the name of your guitar in the "Search Past Auctions" section and this will tell you what a specific guitar has sold for in their previous auctions. If any have gone through.

You're right to say something is only worth what someone will pay for it and this gives the prices people have paid for it! 

(I just typed in "Fender Telecaster guitar" and it gave me 137 lots).

Have fun.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 743
    Just had a quick scroll through. 1960's Telecasters go for between £1-6K. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10222
    edited May 2021
    DavidR said:
    They’ll go for double that through a private sale and more through a dealer. There isn’t a huge indication as to whether it’s a refin, partscaster, etc. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14266
    tFB Trader
    Link keeps dying on me so can't see enough for long enough to know what is what - With such a guitar originality has such an impact - Finish, pots, pick-ups etc, so I can't see any detail at the moment to ascertain any relevant info - Might be just the link and what I can down load - Any comments on what you know about the guitars history/originality

Plus what is the valuation for

Insurance purpose - View to a sale to a dealer or as a private seller - For an estate/probate - All will/can have a different value - As @fretfinder mentions you can ask ATB but a buying price and selling price are different values 
    It's a totally original guitar that has spent 50 years under a bed.I am the second owner and it has the original purchase documents.It was purchased in Manchester in 1968 in a second hand case which is still with it (non Fender) .I have a letter from the original owner stating how his father set up the HP agreement etc and the payment and contract paperwork is in the case.The original owner consigned it to 'under the bed' for many years before deciding to let it go. Condition is all original and 'museum grade' for want of a better expression.Neck date is 3rd Jun 66.Rosewood board plays great. Finish is see through blonde , minuscule marking on frets ,ashtray present, unmolested solder ,totally untouched and original.
    Valuation is for insurance and interest.I've had it 11 years and changed my insurance from Allianz and added it to my home insurance.I've been reticent to approach dealers as stated above for the reasons you mention.I 'd like to know a fair valuation if i had to claim on insurance and go and buy another if I could find one.It is not a guitar for sale atm . I hadn't considered the estate /probate valuation. Sorry about the link ,I think i've done it right at my end,I can see the pictures alright.
    Sorry for a late reply - I was out late afternoon/early evening - Wow that is a nice story to go with it - Many like such additional info and not many guitars have it - An original case would be a bonus, but in due course you could find one via the likes of Reverb to complete the package

As I mentioned earlier there is no official used price guide line - Part is based on gut feeling - part is based on historic info via the likes of Rverb - Part is based on artist related ie I have the same Tele as 'Keef' etc - The vintage book price guide line I often find is to generic to help with such examples as yours - Could I find another 66 Tele for sale, then yes - Could I find such a good example with that history ? - Maybe but it would be a longer search and I'd expect to pay more unless I was lucky - In an auction like G&H you only need 2 interesting potential buyers and it would sell for more - Less fees

For insurance I would not insure below £15,000 and I'd be probably looking at £18,000 - But remember this is not what a dealer would pay - It is effectively a price for insurance valuation - As it is a more expensive item they may well request a written valuation from a dealer 
    GuyR said:
    chris78 said:
    I think you are in the right range here. I'd guess retail at £12k ish, maybe 13 max. ATB has had a number of very nice 66s around £9k, and also understands the extra value of a minter, so would be well qualified to offer advice. I think for a post CBS instrument the ceiling for a mint example is significantly lower than for 64 and earlier.
    Lovely looking guitar BTW, does it play/sound as well as it looks? I have a blonde 66 of my own, they are fabulous guitars.
    It’s very easy to play, a low action and a great sound. I don’t play it that often . When I was a teenager I could only afford a second hand Jedson ‘Tele’ and vowed one day I would get a real one.
    Make sure you contact other vintage shops too. There’s plenty of other places who will give you a quote/make you an offer. 

@GuyR 1965 Fenders are often L series too and are still very valuable. 
    I’m not  really after offers as I’m not selling, I’m more interested in getting an accurate insurance figure. I know it’s not an exact science but since I’ve owned it for over ten years I thought it would be wise to seek a fresh appraisal.
  • Wow.

Seems a shame it's not played, I'm sure it'll end up in the hands of a gigging musician one day though. Cool thing! Can't help with valuation sadly. 
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2051
    edited May 2021
    DavidR said:
    An auction isn’t a great a great reference point it’s a one off event where sellers are taking a huge gamble that someone in attendance is willing to pay up on the day. You can’t gauge from “1960s” as pre cbs is more valuable than cbs. Then there is each guitar on it’s individual merits, condition and originality are integral. This 66 Tele is worth upto double the £6k and pre cbs in original condition £15k upwards.

Actual sold prices are not always fool proof for example Reverb sold prices are based mostly on the US market which tends to be cheaper and on an average of the last 20 guitars sold so if this includes refins, neck repairs and heavily modded guitars then the value will look lower for a mint one so it’s not a like for like.

Ebay is a little more reliable but there are now plenty of sold listings where actual sales haven’t taken place and it’s some guy with 2 accounts winning his own auction trying to fix it with the guitar appearing for sale again next time fees are £1.

Anyway I’m no expert but I am confident in what I have said above.

• ATB_GuitarsATB_Guitars Frets: 214
    A ‘66 Tele in that condition we would market for just under £15k assuming the back is just as nice and it’s all original inside.  Hope that helps. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Wow.

Seems a shame it's not played, I'm sure it'll end up in the hands of a gigging musician one day though. Cool thing! Can't help with valuation sadly. 
    It’s not a shame, I still get pleasure from owning it and occasionally playing it.If I was a gigging musician I wouldn’t be taking it to the pubs where I watch bands, that is for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s a lovely thing to be cherished. No idea what it’s worth but I wouldn’t kick it out of my rack :-) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow.

It’s not a shame, I still get pleasure from owning it and occasionally playing it.If I was a gigging musician I wouldn’t be taking it to the pubs where I watch bands, that is for sure.

Yes, definitely not one for the dog and duck! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom