NGD - thinline twinhumbucker strat-like - GSPBASSES, lamf68, Oil City, Feline content

What's Hot
GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2643
edited June 2021 in Guitar
Hi all, 

I've had this for a couple of weeks, so I thought I should post something about it - I saw the body on a post @GSPBASSES made of his work in progress, and it sort of demanded I buy it. @lamf68 did such beautiful job of bringing out the detail that I've got a very strong sense of ugly-guy-with-supermodel-girlfriend syndrome when I play it, but I try not to let that bother me too much. 

I had a bit of a faff looking for the right pickups, partly because I was trying to match what I thought it should be (which was pretty vague, to be honest) to the blurbs on pickup makers websites - I had a few ideas, I thought it should be something by Creamery for a bit, and was waiting for him to reopen orders. Eventually I did what I should have done in the first place and asked Jonathan @FelineGuitars what he thought and he recommended @OilCityPickups Riot Acts, and he's absolutely right - there's a huge range of sounds available with both pickups on, tweaking the relative volumes and coil taps.

Feline did all the putting together and crafting, to their usual amazing standards. It's immensely lovely!

It's turned out to be everything I hoped it would be when I first saw the naked body posted on here, effortlessly outclasses most of my other guitars and, sadly, me. 

I tried to do a short track to showcase it. I don't think I did it justice, tbh, but it's at the bottom of the post - everything apart from the Logic Drummer drums and the Fender Jazz Bass is this guitar. 

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27633
    Pretty, pretty. pretty.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1151
    That’s really cool, congratulations 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11616
    tFB Trader
    Been chatting with Ash at Oil City about the unfortunate pigeon-holing of this pickup set by it's name.
    The inspiration initially from me was the pickup set that Randy Rhoads would have had in his White LP Custom, and the Riot Act name came from a reference to Randy's pre-Ozzy band Quiet Riot.

We set out to make pretty much a Gibson 70s T-Top style pickup  but with an Alnico 3 magnet , which is what was being used at the time when Cobalt was in short supply (as it was a vital element used in atomic bombs and the Nuclear arms race was at full tilt). 

However they are such versatile pickups and offer such subtlety and tastefulness on clean sounds that they are perfect for someone that wants something that doesn't sound too "humbuckery", and as such excell on all sorts of bluesy , country and jazzy tones. However trying to suggest to a jazz player that they need the Riot Act for their guitar just feels all wrong and is likely to put some of those players off.....so I think Ash is quietly brainstorming to find a good name that would allow a rebrand that would work.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    That guitar is a beauty!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    ....I think Ash is quietly brainstorming to find a good name that would allow a rebrand that would work.
    Quiet Riot
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.