Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

****ing Singer Auditions

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I am really pleased for you.  Good luck.  I think you are going to enjoy this one    :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Jalapeno said:
    Singer auditions ? Pah !

Try Drummers ! ;)

Just been on the business end of that myself.

Never fun. Its amazing how many drummers cant play in time. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • MoANjAmMoANjAm Frets: 12
    edited September 2014

We've had a few 'characters' recently. One guy confidently stated that, although he was unfamiliar with most of the songs on our set list, he could learn things at a drop of a hat. Also he did know most of AC/DC's entire catalogue and so was willing to give any of them a try. So we agreed on 'If You Want Blood' and 'Riff Raff' and booked the slot. 

Straight off the bat, he produces the lyrics to IYWB and blue tacks them to mic stand (I was slightly bemused at this), then he proceeded to fail to come in on time repeatedly despite us giving him both visual and audible cue's (concerned now) and then to crown it all, his range simply wasn’t up to it, despite the fact that we tune to Eb. (definitely concerned now) 

Oh yes I forgot, he also added that he'd never sung it live before.(now at 'banging head again room wall' stage) 

So our bassist gives me 'the look' and wonders off for a piss. I'm about to join him when this bloke  wonders across to the bass, straps it on and starts playing; 'Hey, if got this riff I've been working on and I'm wondering have you guys got anything that goes with it?' 

He left soon afterwards…with his head held high and his feet held higher.

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Ahh, singers.

I recall a few years back, I was involved in a fairly heavy rock project thingy.  We recorded an album with the bass player singing, and he readily admitted his voice just didn't cut it for that sort of thing, so we advertised.

Got sent a demo from someone, sounded good, we met up for a beer, he seemed like a really decent chap, so we invited him into our little improvised studio to sing along with the tracks and possibly lay some vocals down.

After a few minutes, the bassist & I politely excused ourselves to go outside for a smoke while he carried on with it.  We sort of awkwardly stared into the distance for a few moments, then both erupted into violent uncontrollable laughter.  It was possibly the most out of tune singing I had ever heard, but belted out with utter confidence which made it obvious he was doing an amazing job.  We had to go back in with tears in our eyes as he said "What do you think, chaps?  Think I got a good one down!"  His voice was also completely different to the demo he sent.  Cheeky bugger. :D

Then there was the one we auditioned for a covers band a couple of years later, who turned up and said "Oh, you want me to use a microphone?  I'm not good with those..."
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • I auditioned for a band a couple of weeks ago (on guitar) and got the gig. The singer was on holiday so I didn't meet him but had seen You Tube vids so knew he was good. Really looking forward to getting out there again. Other guitarist calls me yesterday to say the singer's left so we're off down the audition road. That first gig might be further away than I thought!