What do you think is gonna happen?

What's Hot

Comments

• MickMick Frets: 98
    Emp_Fab said:
    Right, I've edited everything, locked all the forums with the exception of the 'www.thefretboard.co.uk' sub-forum (which I've now moved to the top of the root) and stuck 'Read Only' notices everywhere.  Frankly, after all that, if you don't get that we have all migrated over here, then you need to have your keyboard taken off you. :D
    Yep, I think that should do it nicely. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 344
    Emp_Fab said:
    Right, I've edited everything, locked all the forums with the exception of the 'www.thefretboard.co.uk' sub-forum (which I've now moved to the top of the root) and stuck 'Read Only' notices everywhere.  Frankly, after all that, if you don't get that we have all migrated over here, then you need to have your keyboard taken off you. :D
    Please sir, I need to get back in...

I wanted to post my Firebird build thread over here, but I now can't quote or edit my posts to be able to copy the text and image links (copying the text from the forum misses out the picture info). :-<
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    I like it here. I have no particular for or against regarding Future, but the usability of this site is tenfold that of the old MR forum. It's quicker (a lot quicker on my devices), cleaner, more navigable, and generally just easier to use. Thanks very much to all those who made it nice :)

I just liked the people on MR really; as long as we keep a coherent community here, I can't see why I'd want to go back.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• MickMick Frets: 98
    dchwhite said:
    I like it here. I have no particular for or against regarding Future, but the usability of this site is tenfold that of the old MR forum. It's quicker (a lot quicker on my devices), cleaner, more navigable, and generally just easier to use. Thanks very much to all those who made it nice :)

I just liked the people on MR really; as long as we keep a coherent community here, I can't see why I'd want to go back.

The reason the MR site was difficult to navigate was because they used VBulletin, and personally find any site using it hard to use. That was also the reason they got hacked, because there was a security law in the version they were running.

Instead of upgrading and fixing, they just turned of the features that didn't work.  All back end stuff had to be handled by a separate department including it seems just minor admin stuff.  No way to run a forum IMO.  It was the same over at Digital Camera World, (Previously DCM, then PhotoRadar, then DCW). Hence why the staff favoured Facebook and Twitter in the end. 

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    Misterg said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Please sir, I need to get back in...

I wanted to post my Firebird build thread over here, but I now can't quote or edit my posts to be able to copy the text and image links (copying the text from the forum misses out the picture info). :-<
    Try again now - I've reinstated editing rights.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Mick said:
    dchwhite said:

The reason the MR site was difficult to navigate was because they used VBulletin, and personally find any site using it hard to use. That was also the reason they got hacked, because there was a security law in the version they were running.

Instead of upgrading and fixing, they just turned of the features that didn't work.  All back end stuff had to be handled by a separate department including it seems just minor admin stuff.  No way to run a forum IMO.  It was the same over at Digital Camera World, (Previously DCM, then PhotoRadar, then DCW). Hence why the staff favoured Facebook and Twitter in the end. 

Interesting - I didn't know that, thank you. IIRC, someone over on EF's forum mentioned Future's Facebook posts had stepped up a lot since their fora went down - it's the same with their Twitter accounts, I follow a few of them and they all seem to have gone a bit nought to sixty over the last couple of weeks.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 344
    Emp_Fab said:Try again now - I've reinstated editing rights.

All sorted now, thanks.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    I think we have done well.

It is early days yet but I am happier here than under the thumb of a corporation.
    Are we going to put ads up to generate a bit of income and maybe fund some advertising?
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    mike_l said:

Menturm/DrewFX was over at MR, he got himself banned. If he does here what he did there he'll get banned again.

I'd prefer that he doesn't, by not acting like a dick (rule #1)....

I do like the fact that we can just tell people 'rule #1' over here if they start acting like cocks. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    I think we have done well.

It is early days yet but I am happier here than under the thumb of a corporation.
    Are we going to put ads up to generate a bit of income and maybe fund some advertising?
    It's something the admin team are thinking about. 

If we do it will be in the style of Penny Arcade in that the companies will be selected as people we trust and respect and the ads will be served from the site such that we know they will be unobtrusive, but unblockable. As it stands we have had a lot of spontaneous pledges so it really comes down to what the comunity would prefer. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    edited August 2013
    I'd be OK with unobtrusive, useful advertising. I always used to like the old Thomann ad/link on the right on a previous version of MR - it was handy for quickly checking prices, and I even bought something from them once!

What I would not like to see is the level of crap that was on the last version of MR if you went there on someone else's computer without the level of adblock I have on mine... it gets ridiculous when you can barely even see the forum because annoying, obtrusive (even moving, on the mobile version) non-music-related ads are all over it. I can't imagine it's actually helpful to the advertisers either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26630
    ICBM said:
    I'd be OK with unobtrusive, useful advertising. I always used to like the old Thomann ad/link on the right on a previous version of MR - it was handy for quickly checking prices, and I even bought something from them once!

What I would not like to see is the level of crap that was on the last version of MR if you went there on someone else's computer without the level of adblock I have on mine... it gets ridiculous when you can barely even see the forum because annoying, obtrusive (even moving, on the mobile version) non-music-related ads are all over it. I can't imagine it's actually helpful to the advertisers either.
    Believe me when I say that won't be happening. The idea is to maintain the focus of this as a community, rather than an advertising platform. Besides which...at the moment, there's not much of a problem with sustainability given that you lovely people have all been filling the coffers with your generosity. Even if/when the site outgrows its current hosting, there will almost certainly be enough in the bank to get us over the hump without immediately jumping to advertising.

I never actually saw the ad-addled version of MR - I AdBlocked it to death back when they first put the intrusive animated ads in there, and I never saw any reason to change that given the amount of complaints there were.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    I did assume that would be the case but it's nice to hear it confirmed, and that it shouldn't be necessary anyway :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'd be happy to disable AdBlock, and do a few clicks.
    My V key is broken
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861

Good to see everyones thoughts. I will be giving this forum the best go that I can, it's great, but I do think that myself and no one else should have any negative feeling towards someone that might use BOTH forums if MR ever did come back.

I like to cast the net out wide if it's a serious Gear,Theory or Technique question I'm asking and the more places you throw out the question, the more chance you get of educating yourself. I still ocassionally post on TGP because it's one more place my question will be addressed.

I would expect most people on here are grown up enough to not "Send someone to Coventry" or show less favour to Dual Forum users, should that ever arise.

I'm not casting aspersions here, but I do understand that there is a less favourable side to Human Nature sometimes.

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I likes it here, works on a phone (no shit advertising, fits on the screen etc).
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10505
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    The heart has been torn out of MR's forum ... and I don't think, even if it comes back, which I'm not at all sure it will, that it will be a shadow of it's former self. most likely the kiddies, ignoramuses  and flamers will move in if it does. it will then shudder to an ignominious end looking much like the Les Paul forum.
    I'm fully committed to this place ... staffed as it is by people I respect (and Sporky :)) )with a new and fresh style ... and more good content than you can waggle a waggly thing at.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26630

I would expect most people on here are grown up enough to not "Send someone to Coventry" or show less favour to Dual Forum users, should that ever arise.

I very much doubt anybody would react badly, but then...there a few hundred things that made the MR forum a great source of information, and most of them are here ;)

I think it would take a critical mass of people deciding to go back there to actually make MR a place worth inhabiting again, and I doubt that's going to happen.

However, I'm on several forums and my presence on one doesn't necessarily detract from my presence on another; as was mentioned last week while we were putting this place together, online communities are not a zero-sum game. It may even be nice to encourage some cooperation and joint activities with other forums in the future, once we've settled in :)
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28392
    staffed as it is by people I respect (and Sporky :)) )
    :D

Have a "LOL".
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861

@TheGuitarWeasel

I'm just expressing some inner concerns that's all, I'm sure this place will be great. I just tend to have to get things off my chest, so to speak.

You might have to tell me what a "Flamer" is though. As for Ignoramuses, I am an Ignoramus as far as playing cool Jazz solos and complex Jazz Progressions goes, so I hope my presence is acceptable.

;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.