Multi effects as a recording interface

What's Hot
daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
Ive been looking for a small desktop amp to use as a recording interface but have come across the Boss GT-001 which would also do what I want, a desktop solution for recording. Has anyone got any experience of this or similar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    I use a GT-1 plugged into a pair of monitors for home playing. I'm not 100% sure but I think they are pretty much the same unit, one optimised for live and one for recording. 

If it is the same it works well and the sounds are pretty good. 

To me the HX Stomp had it beat in terms of amp sims but the second hand price of the boss was a third of the S/H price of a stomp and it's perfectly adequate. 

I haven't recorded with it but I'm assuming it sounds pretty much the same as is coming out of my monitors so it should be fine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    I've got Stomp but haven't used it as an audio interface. I've got an old Tascam interface that does everything I need. Incidentally and possibly irrelevant, I've had just as good results using a Joyo American Sound as I have with Stomp amp sims.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • So the best way to run these is by monitoring on the device itself, and not through the DAW. That way you can monitor in realtime, and track at whatever buffer size you want.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    edited July 2021
    So the best way to run these is by monitoring on the device itself, and not through the DAW. That way you can monitor in realtime, and track at whatever buffer size you want.
    Cheers, this is much what I was hoping to get, something to leave set up at the computer rather than go through the faff of setting everything up to record when the mood strikes. That’s something I hadn’t thought of tbh so that’s appreciated
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited July 2021
    I have the older GT100..  I have tried the USB interface, it works fine but there was no real advantage for me over going into the desk/interface and monitoring there in real time . It is just a redundant swap if you have an interface already.

If you do not already have an interface, then it a good option.  You can’t lose as it still has audio outs.  The newer GT units have IRs and more modern sounds. 
  • I use the helix lt like this, and for my online lessons, too I just plug it into the laptop and set it as my input and output device and off you go. I would imagine that the boss would be exactly the same.
  • I’ve used a GT-001 for precisely this purpose - very successful- now sold (on here) as that project ended. 
  • daveyh said:
    So the best way to run these is by monitoring on the device itself, and not through the DAW. That way you can monitor in realtime, and track at whatever buffer size you want.
    Cheers, this is much what I was hoping to get, something to leave set up at the computer rather than go through the faff of setting everything up to record when the mood strikes. That’s something I hadn’t thought of tbh so that’s appreciated
    It works very well with the Helix. Kemper can't do it. Quad Cortex can do it, but I've not tried quite honestly! Don't have experience with the Boss stuff, but can't imagine they've done any poorer than the Helix!

Bye!

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4159
    I had a GT1 and it records great through the USB 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3549
    I use the helix lt like this, and for my online lessons, too I just plug it into the laptop and set it as my input and output device and off you go. I would imagine that the boss would be exactly the same.
    Interesting. In a similar position. I have an id14mk2, and i'm presently trying to get my head around loopback. I'm trying to feed guitar DI, speaking voice and ireal pro audio into Zoom. Frankly, head hurty thinky pain. 

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Helix Stomp. Unless you absolutely need an XLR input.