Jensen P12R

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5162
    Isn’t it weird….I love my P12R in my Cornell Romany Plus…lovely clean and with pedals… perhaps I need to try a Q in it too? Would it be much of an improvement?  I did A/B it with a few speakers I had at the time, and the P12R won hands down (home volume only though) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    It can definitely work great for certain purposes. If you're mainly playing at clean home volume levels and with some pedals, I'd expect it to work well for that.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    ^ I'm not sure about that. I play at home volumes and I really liked it for lower gain/clean tones, but it sounded a bit ratty/spiky once the gain got over a certain level. I wouldn't be surprised mine wasn't broken in yet, but then playing at home volumes isn't likely to break it in, at least quickly...
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    edited August 2021
    Yeah, of course it depends on how much gain you're using amongst other variables. But I'd expect it definitely can work well for some people and I've come across some that seemed quite happy with theirs.
    Yeah definitely, as usual it depends on what you want. For me the cut-off point was around where you would separate overdrive pedals from distortion pedals, if that makes sense.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    There's certainly a risk of unfairly judging a less sensitive speaker as 'less good' due to the standard psycho-acoustic effect of reducing volume slightly, and of apparently losing bottom end due to the Fletcher-Munson curve (top not so much, since no guitar speaker really has much top-end in a hi-fi sense). Even so, I'm just not really a fan of most less sensitive speakers - even when you turn the amp up a bit to equalise the apparent volume - they usually just seem to lack depth and dynamics, for me. Obviously for some people, less bass and more compression is a good thing though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I don't think the sensitivity was really a problem for me, for home playing it can be a good thing!

(Unless you're right and lower sensitivity speakers just don't sound as good for some reason.)