Fender Tonemaster Amps

What's Hot

Comments

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    edited July 2021

Oh come on, your comment did come across as snarky and unnecessary. Even if you didn’t mean it like that it’s how it looked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Classic strategy:

Cause offence.
    Accuse people of taking offence.
    Act indignant.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I certainly wouldn't buy something purely based on a new amp/guitar/pedal/whatever review on here. 
    Seen the same thing happen too many times.
    People trying to justify their GAS  ;)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Hattigol said:

Good on you, Waz. I love your reviews and as you say, it's good to have the balls to try these things. 

Ignore the petty snipers. Bit of jealousy present, I suspect...
    Since when does it take balls to spend money (unless you’re living well beyond your means)? Giving the pastime some kind of macho is laughable.

Re the Tonemaster, I haven’t tried one but we’ve been around the block enough times with the ‘digital finally matches up to valves’ theme to know that for many people (home players mostly I imagine) having had a chance to live with it for a while and do detailed contrast and compare, they come to the conclusion that digital doesn’t quite match up yet. For lots of gigging and pro musicians it’s likely a good bit of work kit.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    JezWynd said:
    Hattigol said:

Good on you, Waz. I love your reviews and as you say, it's good to have the balls to try these things. 

Ignore the petty snipers. Bit of jealousy present, I suspect...
    Since when does it take balls to spend money (unless you’re living well beyond your means)? Giving the pastime some kind of macho is laughable.

Re the Tonemaster, I haven’t tried one but we’ve been around the block enough times with the ‘digital finally matches up to valves’ theme to know that for many people (home players mostly I imagine) having had a chance to live with it for a while and do detailed contrast and compare, they come to the conclusion that digital doesn’t quite match up yet. For lots of gigging and pro musicians it’s likely a good bit of work kit.
    Bingo. 

For me it’s irrelevant - a DRRI is simply way too loud for home, so it’s irrelevant which sounds better at full tilt. I’d wanted a “DR for home” for a decade and the TM version does a damn great job of that for 1/3 the cost of a DRRI and decent attenuator.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4195
    I had a TMDR which I couldn’t fault - sounded great at any volume, DI was excellent, weight etc. But…one day out of curiosity I dug out my neglected Fender Bassbreaker from the garage and plugged it in and suddenly I was like “ah…valve amps are bloody nice aren’t they..” I can’t really explain what it was, but a low end valve amp was giving me some joy that what I would consider the apex of modelling wasn’t. So I swapped my TMDR for a Hot Rod DeVille and haven’t thought about it since. I’d still recommend them, because they really are objectively great tools.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5753
    I'm in this post. I bought a TMDR and sold in on again in just few months. I shouldn't have, it was perfect for my needs but I was tempted by a gorgeous boutique black face sound amp for a great price and I sold the TM to get it. Yes that amp sounded better than the computer it replaced but after I'd gotten past feeling very pleased with myself for getting such a glorious thing, I started to miss all the things the TM offered me. I should have stuck with the TM, it's both a great amp and a perfect tool for many many jobs.
  • Waxed lyrical about mine, still got it and still very happy with it. It's getting the most use out of my amps right now, whether that's headphones to line out, attenuated down or clicked up when I get the chance. Just had a look back and I've had it coming up to 12 months.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I love mine. I use it in an apartment with the attenuation, and later in the evening I can use an XLR to 3.5mm conversion cable to use headphones. I’ve recorded out of the XLR Into Logic, and I’ve now used it at band volume and it was fantastic. There’s nothing I don’t like about it.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    edited July 2021
    Very happy with my blonde TMDR.
    Early days for me but Waz was right - it’s brilliant kit. Used to have a Carr Sportsman which was gorgeous but very happy with my TM and suits all my needs at home, live at church with DI etc.
    It has stopped my amp GASSING too.
    Thanks again Waz…. Jon 

• birtnerbirtner Frets: 65
    I bought one used to try out, it’s great. I use it at home (shits all over small “practice” amps) and when I went to my last practice at a place where it’s a pretty long walk from the car park, knowing we were in the upstairs room which meant definitely having to helping the drummer, I picked up my valve amp, thought fk that!, picked up the TM and walked out of the house smiling. 
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    I’m still waiting for the “ honeymoon is over” period so I can pick up a lightly used one for a bargain price. Seems to me the few secondhand ones that are available are being snapped up quickly for good money and new prices are holding very firm. I have also seen a couple of second hand vibro champs offered secondhand as well, and they’re proper valve combos ;)
    I think it’s more to do with people springing for the latest hot thing and then realising later it doesn’t give the more than what they have. That, of course is something I’d never do…..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 335
     Toms_Dad said:
    I’m still waiting for the “ honeymoon is over” period so I can pick up a lightly used one for a bargain price. Seems to me the few secondhand ones that are available are being snapped up quickly for good money and new prices are holding very firm. I have also seen a couple of second hand vibro champs offered secondhand as well, and they’re proper valve combos ;)
    I think it’s more to do with people springing for the latest hot thing and then realising later it doesn’t give the more than what they have. That, of course is something I’d never do…..
    BAX SHOP have 2 new black ones at £693 delivered.
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    I think Wazmeister’s reviews are really informative, so keep them coming. Sound clips or videos would be even better!

I’m keen to try a TM even though I don’t really need one. The concept seems spot-on to me and I’m interested in what you lose in ‘feel’ ,if anything, vs a valve equivalent when they’re overdriven. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Are they better than the modelling of this amp on other Fender modellers, say the Mustang GT200?

And if so, bearing in mind how much more those amps do, does the extra likeness outweigh those advantages? 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Hattigol said:
    Are they better than the modelling of this amp on other Fender modellers, say the Mustang GT200?

And if so, bearing in mind how much more those amps do, does the extra likeness outweigh those advantages? 
    Yes, significantly better imo. I don’t know how much of that is the modelling and how much is down to the proper can and speaker 
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Yes, significantly better imo. I don’t know how much of that is the modelling and how much is down to the proper can and speaker 
    I'm about to throw a very angry cat into a massive flock of Pigeons here.....

Following on from @stickyfiddle 's comment about the cab and the speaker.

How much of it is also down to it looking identical to a 65 Deluxe Reverb?

Most of us hear with our eyes to some extent - I know I do and it's part of the reason why i wanted one.

gubble said:

I'm about to throw a very angry cat into a massive flock of Pigeons here.....

Following on from @stickyfiddle 's comment about the cab and the speaker.

How much of it is also down to it looking identical to a 65 Deluxe Reverb?

Most of us hear with our eyes to some extent - I know I do and it's part of the reason why i wanted one.

For me it’s all about that! Gear has to look right as well as sound good. No doubt I’m shallow :) 
    I just watched the Pedal Show comparison. Hmmm, even allowing for not being in the room, YouTube sound qual etc the TM sounded OK and nothing more. 
    The visual definitely helps. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have wanted one as much if it looked like the typical modeller covered in buttons and lights