Tokyo Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• joneve said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Also caught highlights of the Karate.  Wasn't what I was expecting.  Ladies grunting and waving their arms.  The blokes fight was more lively.
    Was that the two different disciplines?  Kata - the solo demonstration - and kumite - the actual fighting.  I only learned that today, and now they're ditching it for the next Olympics.
    Thank Christ. How something like Kata gets the nod for the Olympics but something like Netball doesn’t is beyond me. 
    Probably because, globally, Karate absolutely eclipses Netball. Very few people outside of a select number of commonwealth countries know what netball is.

Plus, team sports are also a gigantic pain in the arse for multi-sport events like The Olympics. They're expensive to host, and last for a long time in comparison to shorter, solo events. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12397
    edited August 2021
    Philly_Q said:
    And that's that.  God, I love the Olympics.  I did shed a tear at the end of the last highlights programme.  Still, only three years to Paris, although it's depressing to think I'll be 60 by then.
    I’ve really enjoyed this one, even more than Rio I think. I thought it would bomb before it even got going, what with no crowd, athletes dropping out due to covid, the vague hostility and/or lack of interest from the locals. It’s been great though and so good to see the camaraderie between the athletes. Not sure if that’s all down to it being a highlight in a world of gloom, seeing some new sports or just seeing the sporting world changing a little and sticking two fingers up to casual racism, homophobia and general intolerance. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23035
    boogieman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    And that's that.  God, I love the Olympics.  I did shed a tear at the end of the last highlights programme.  Still, only three years to Paris, although it's depressing to think I'll be 60 by then.
    I’ve really enjoyed this one, even more than Rio I think. I thought it would bomb before it even got going, what with no crowd, athletes dropping out due to covid, the vague hostility and/or lack of interest from the locals. It’s been great though and so good to see the camaraderie between the athletes. Not sure if that’s all down to it being a highlight in a world of gloom, seeing some new sports or just seeing the sporting world changing a little and sticking two fingers up to casual racism, homophobia and general intolerance. 
    I think it's all of the above.  I feel like attitudes really have begun to shift in the last couple of years.  Whether that's because of, or in spite of, the pandemic making us all re-think our lives a little, I don't know.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    joneve said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Also caught highlights of the Karate.  Wasn't what I was expecting.  Ladies grunting and waving their arms.  The blokes fight was more lively.
    Was that the two different disciplines?  Kata - the solo demonstration - and kumite - the actual fighting.  I only learned that today, and now they're ditching it for the next Olympics.
    Thank Christ. How something like Kata gets the nod for the Olympics but something like Netball doesn’t is beyond me. 
    Probably because, globally, Karate absolutely eclipses Netball. Very few people outside of a select number of commonwealth countries know what netball is.
    I think karate kata is certain to get a mixed reaction when included in a multi-discipline sporting event like the Olympics. Practitioners of karate will appreciate the extreme skill that is shown in executing a strict sequence of movements. At the other end of the scale there will be members of the general public who see it as thumpingrug does. Think of it in terms of any member of this forum who goes to see a band and is highly impressed with its guitar player when most the audience doesn't give a shit.

It might have helped if the purpose of kata had been explained but even then it is probably best kept to karate tournaments.

Hopefully karate kumite might have an Olympic future as I found it more convincing than this year's taikwondo which seems to have become fencing-with-feet.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited August 2021
    Lauren Price is quite something, international footballer, kickboxing world champion and now an Olympic boxing gold. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    underdog said:
    Lauren Price is quite something, international footballer, kickboxing world champion and now an Olympic boxing gold. 
    Agree. Hope she goes pro. 

I didn't watch as much of the Olympics I did before but really enjoyed it as ever.

There's always a new sport each time I find myself being enthralled by. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Jimbro66 said:
    joneve said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I think karate kata is certain to get a mixed reaction when included in a multi-discipline sporting event like the Olympics. Practitioners of karate will appreciate the extreme skill that is shown in executing a strict sequence of movements. At the other end of the scale there will be members of the general public who see it as thumpingrug does. Think of it in terms of any member of this forum who goes to see a band and is highly impressed with its guitar player when most the audience doesn't give a shit.

It might have helped if the purpose of kata had been explained but even then it is probably best kept to karate tournaments.

Hopefully karate kumite might have an Olympic future as I found it more convincing than this year's taikwondo which seems to have become fencing-with-feet.
    Absolutely this. 

I don't disagree about Karate being globally more popular than Netball; Kumite should have as much place in the Olympics as Judo and/or Taekwondo (which, I agree is the "wrong" kind being included and is essentially just fencing with feet; great analogy), but Kata was basically angry rhythmic gymnastics without the props and more grunting. I'm sure it take a lot of skill to master, but it's really a very niche spectator sport. 

Netball has become more and more popular over the last 10-15 years and is an absolutely fantastic spectator sport. I understand the argument about team sports being a logistical nightmare, but they could easily get rid of football and save fucking LOADS of time and resources here. 

the Olympics should be the pinnacle of any sport, but with Football it absolutely isn't, so should be nowhere near it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

underdog said:
    Indeed. Quite ridiculous! 

I hope Laura Trott does another cycle. She's only 29 so would have at least one more olympics in her legs I'd have thought. Would be great to see her dominate in Paris and become one of the most successful Olympians of all time (well, even more so than she is now!) 

Despite the lack of crowds, these games have been incredible. 
  • joneve said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    joneve said:
    Philly_Q said:

Absolutely this. 

I don't disagree about Karate being globally more popular than Netball; Kumite should have as much place in the Olympics as Judo and/or Taekwondo (which, I agree is the "wrong" kind being included and is essentially just fencing with feet; great analogy), but Kata was basically angry rhythmic gymnastics without the props and more grunting. I'm sure it take a lot of skill to master, but it's really a very niche spectator sport. 

Netball has become more and more popular over the last 10-15 years and is an absolutely fantastic spectator sport. I understand the argument about team sports being a logistical nightmare, but they could easily get rid of football and save fucking LOADS of time and resources here. 

the Olympics should be the pinnacle of any sport, but with Football it absolutely isn't, so should be nowhere near it. 
    Just my opinion but I think Netball is a rubbish spectator sport. The fixed roles/position and the distance rule just kill it for me. Its like basketball but with all excitement removed. 

Would happily bin football from the Olympics mind. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299

When I was a student my housemate’s sister played for the British  lacrosse team. We went to see them play, I had no idea what it was, all I knew was it involved posh girls. Wow, great spectator sport. Hasn’t been in the Olympics for years, that should come back.
    It’s sort of ice hockey with no ice but isn’t hockey. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I just found out that one of the partners in the firm I work for co-owns one of the horses which won Gold in the Team Eventing.  She was out in Tokyo to watch it all (I guess horse owners get special privileges of some kind, or maybe she was actually part of the support team).

She's posted a picture of herself with a gold medal - borrowed from one of the riders, I assume!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2788
    joneve said:

underdog said:

I hope Laura Trott does another cycle. She's only 29 so would have at least one more olympics in her legs I'd have thought. Would be great to see her dominate in Paris and become one of the most successful Olympians of all time (well, even more so than she is now!) 

But it’s only a 3 year cycle and I’m guessing the Trotts might be wanting another baby.  The fact that she has taken time out of her career for a baby and might well do so again just makes what she (and other sportswomen) has done ever greater
    sev112 said:
    joneve said:

underdog said:

But it’s only a 3 year cycle and I’m guessing the Trotts might be wanting another baby.  The fact that she has taken time out of her career for a baby and might well do so again just makes what she (and other sportswomen) has done ever greater
    The Trott-Kennys.  Or Kenny-Trotts, maybe. :)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14331
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    joneve said:
    Philly_Q said:

Absolutely this. 

Netball will probably be in for 2032 in Brisbane as the Aussies will back it on their home turf
    Thing that I don’t get in netball is that the defender is t allowed to jump to stop a shot, it just means that the taller player gets fee shot after free shot

its like people saying we need to remove the mental stress in elite sport, but then only the biggest person with the right genes wins everything, when we know that the most successful sports champions are there because of their mental strength
    tFB Trader
    sev112 said:
    Thing that I don’t get in netball is that the defender is t allowed to jump to stop a shot, it just means that the taller player gets fee shot after free shot

its like people saying we need to remove the mental stress in elite sport, but then only the biggest person with the right genes wins everything, when we know that the most successful sports champions are there because of their mental strength
    The best rule in netball IMO, is that if you commit a foul, you have to stand on the foul spot, where the throw will be taken by the attacking team, so you are out of place until the ball has been passed by the attacking team and is now back in place

Compare that to football - The CB fouls the centre forward - Now the defence can make and prepare a full defensive line to thwart the attack - So often there is no advantage - Often worse in that if the centre forward needs treatment for a nasty foul he can't even join the attack as he can't go back on the pitch until the ref tells him, but the CB can stay on to do his job - Where is the advantage in this 

The defender can actually jump to try and block, but no point as a) they still have to stay 1Metre apart from the shooter and b) as the shooter shoots with extended arms , the actual shot is closer to a vertical trajectory than horizontal plus if you jump, the shooter will read that and time the shot as you are on the way down, so pointless really 

My ex-wife and daughter play a lot so have a decent inside knowledge of the game after spending 30 odd years watching
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:

Agree - If they have it then make it say a 5 a-side tournament, so different and fresh to watch - More akin to Rugby 7's 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Football free kicks really p me off.  They are just to the advantage of the fouling team more often than not.
    joneve said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    joneve said:
    Philly_Q said:

Absolutely this. 

Just my opinion but I think Netball is a rubbish spectator sport. The fixed roles/position and the distance rule just kill it for me. Its like basketball but with all excitement removed. 

I used to think this. But if you watch it at high level it’s really fucking good. Granted, I’ve watched a lot as my wife plays at a high level and it’s basically religion in our household but the elite players are unbelievable athletes and considering the “distance rules” and the fact it’s non-contact, it’s the most vicious non-contact sport I’ve ever watched. 
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    joneve said:
    Philly_Q said:

Absolutely this. 

I used to think this. But if you watch it at high level it’s really fucking good. Granted, I’ve watched a lot as my wife plays at a high level and it’s basically religion in our household but the elite players are unbelievable athletes and considering the “distance rules” and the fact it’s non-contact, it’s the most vicious non-contact sport I’ve ever watched. 
    I've watched my daughter play from U10 and no contact whatsoever and as they progress it gets more acceptable and as you approach 18 and play in senior leagues, then contact is coached into them and as you say not a contact sport - I watch Loughborough Lightning play Saracens 2/3 years ago, a live match, and one player almost body checked another - In football it would be a red card --Rugby a no arm tackle would be a 10 min sin bin - This was just a free kick and re-start with no warning at all

Keeping my Yorkshire flag flying with Cricket, LUFC and the Rhinos at Rugby League, I'm now a Rhinos Netball fan