What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Despicable Me 2. Very poor compared to the first one.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Noah (the Russell Crowe one). I don't think the words exist that even begin to describe just how appallingly bad this film is. 0/10 from me (and that's with me feeling generous today).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22835
    I started watching Nightcrawler last night but kept falling asleep, so instead I watched Dead Snow 2.  

Very silly but entertaining.  I think it's probably better than the first one, although it has to be said there's not much actual snow in it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    edited March 2016
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens for the second time. Apart from the irritating kids with absent parents I still enjoyed it a lot. I don't buy the "it's just a rehash of the first one" claims. Obviously some themes are similar and there's a big planet-destroying space weapons, but those are just hooks to hang a different story on. Anyway, I'm happy, let's not get into it again! :D

Also currently watching Coherence, which is a vaguely scifi, vaguely thriller thing. Not as clever as it thinks it is, and unless the final act is spectacular I won't see it again (indeed I'm watching as I type, so not 100% engaged!), but it's decent enough. Will update if necessary once the credits roll...

EDIT: Finished Coherence. It ended well. A solid 7/10 I reckon. Considerably better than doing nothing :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5262
    saw Deadpool the other night and thought it was very funny indeed so being the peurile chap that i am 9/10
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    Spectre.

Nice set pieces and Waltz could end up being an excellent Blofeld, but it really needs something new.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    Echoing the recommendations for The Big Short. A boring and frankly depressing subject matter, but a brilliantly engaging movie, not without humour.
    Top drawer.

• The Program.

Story of Lance Armstrong's rise and fall as one of America's great sporting heroes and drug cheats. If you already know the full story it's a bit patchy and there's a few inconsistencies, Lance's 2005 TdeF speech is paraphrased badly for one (I was there).

But overall it's a good movie for fans of this kind of sporty bio-pic. I'd give it a 7.5/ 10, mainly for the performances of Jesse Plemons (Breaking Bad's Todd) as Floyd Landis, and Chris O'Dowd (IT Crowd) as David Walsh. Ben Foster didn't have to work too hard to play Lance, the remit was easy, turn up and be an arrogant prick! ;)

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Mad Max Fury Road. The story of four people sitting in a living room trying to stifle boredom. :!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72344
    Control

I'd missed it at the cinema when it came out but got it on DVD recently.

Very well made, if a slightly unimaginative telling of a predictably sad story. Sam Riley is extremely convincing as Curtis, especially when he's dancing. Lots of period detail that really brought that time back to me - although I was 13 in 1980, so too young to be into the music until later - they really got most of it spot on.

8/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WeegieBoyWeegieBoy Frets: 11
    Deadpool, side-splittingly funny at points and a few crude jokes which went down a treat in a marvel movie for me. 9/10, one of the best comic book movies out there.
    AMY That's a performance featured in the film, not a clip from the film which intercuts that with pictures of Amy looking strung out. I can't see anyone without an interest in Amy Winehouse sitting through it and watching it as a film ( rather than as a film about Amy, if you see what I mean). I'd have hoped it would have focussed more on her talent ( singer, song writer, guitarist)and a bit less on the bulimic junkie. Paints her father as a selfish idiot ( and her adoration of him being much of the root of her downfall) and whilst it doesn't set out a stall attacking the paparazzi the media feeding frenzy over her troubles looks very sad. As with pretty much all documentary films about musicians the makers obviously had access to some great performance footage and why isn't there an edit just with all that stuff in? 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    EricTheWeary;1001188" said:
    AMY

That's a performance featured in the film, not a clip from the film which intercuts that with pictures of Amy looking strung out. I can't see anyone without an interest in Amy Winehouse sitting through it and watching it as a film ( rather than as a film about Amy, if you see what I mean). I'd have hoped it would have focussed more on her talent ( singer, song writer, guitarist)and a bit less on the bulimic junkie. Paints her father as a selfish idiot ( and her adoration of him being much of the root of her downfall) and whilst it doesn't set out a stall attacking the paparazzi the media feeding frenzy over her troubles looks very sad. As with pretty much all documentary films about musicians the makers obviously had access to some great performance footage and why isn't there an edit just with all that stuff in? 
    Interesting about her father. I rarely take an instant dislike to people, but I make an exception for him. He was on BBC Radio London a lot when Amy was alive, but he always seemed to be riding her fame to push himself rather than just being proud of her. I believe he even tried to launch his own singing career, as "a tribute" to her. An odious narcissist.

Sounds an interesting film despite the flaws though.
    boogieman said:
    EricTheWeary;1001188" said:
    AMY

That's a performance featured in the film, not a clip from the film which intercuts that with pictures of Amy looking strung out. I can't see anyone without an interest in Amy Winehouse sitting through it and watching it as a film ( rather than as a film about Amy, if you see what I mean). I'd have hoped it would have focussed more on her talent ( singer, song writer, guitarist)and a bit less on the bulimic junkie. Paints her father as a selfish idiot ( and her adoration of him being much of the root of her downfall) and whilst it doesn't set out a stall attacking the paparazzi the media feeding frenzy over her troubles looks very sad. As with pretty much all documentary films about musicians the makers obviously had access to some great performance footage and why isn't there an edit just with all that stuff in? 
    Interesting about her father. I rarely take an instant dislike to people, but I make an exception for him. He was on BBC Radio London a lot when Amy was alive, but he always seemed to be riding her fame to push himself rather than just being proud of her. I believe he even tried to launch his own singing career, as "a tribute" to her. An odious narcissist.

I'd seen him interviewed before and thought he seemed okay but based on the film he cheated on Amy's mother for years and left the family, pretty much only returning once Amy had some success. He pretty much papp'd his own daughter at times. Both he and Amy's mother seemed to have been aware of her bulimia early on and just thought she would grow out of it. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Kill List was on again of Film4 last night... is such a fucked up plot...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Kill List was on again of Film4 last night... is such a fucked up plot...
    It's a Frankenstein of a film. It's like they changed writers and plotlines halfway through.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    edited March 2016
    EricTheWeary;1001278" said:
    boogieman said:

EricTheWeary;1001188" said:AMY

I'd seen him interviewed before and thought he seemed okay but based on the film he cheated on Amy's mother for years and left the family, pretty much only returning once Amy had some success. He pretty much papp'd his own daughter at times. Both he and Amy's mother seemed to have been aware of her bulimia early on and just thought she would grow out of it. 
    'I ain't got the time,but if my Daddy thinks I'm fine'

Rather telling in hindsight,when you consider she most definitely wasn't 'fine'.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Fifty Shades of Black.  Awful, just awful. As funny as a peadophile in a childrens hospice.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    Zootropolis (might be called Zootopia in the UK, some odd licencing thing around that I think).
    New Disney animated thingy. Quite funny, more adult-targeted jokes than Frozen and no songs, which is good.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Star Trek Horizon (full movie is on YT). An impressive accomplishment for a fan fic movie, but absolute pants. 2/10

(Another bl**dy death star thingy!)