What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited July 2016
    Idiocracy
    A recommendation from ages back I finally got around to watching it last night.
    Here's the thing:  it was made a decade ago but the "future" it predicts is nearly upon us.  The film is set 500 years from now but that vision is here.  Almost. 
    It's a comedy, in a wry "oh shit" that's too true way.  It's a thought-provoking film. 
    I really liked it so passing the recommendation on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition. Far superior to the theatrical cut the film actually makes sense now. Sure Eisenberg is still a poor Lex Luthor and in my opinion the whole Doomsday plot could have been cut completely but this cut somewhat redeems Snyder. I still want him far away from any other DC films though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    Deathgasm.

Imagine Shawn of The Dead crossed with a teenage high school Spinal Tap. Ish. Well.. Not really but it is worth a watch if you like metal and like comedy horror. Genuinely enjoyed it, my g/f picked it out. I was concerned it's be too gorey for me but it is done in a funny way so I could deal with it. Worth a watch 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    edited July 2016

Watched The Babadook last night. Liked it.

...hows that for a review

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Oh,  watched Long Way Down on the TV last night. I enjoyed it's Brittishness (despite a token US actor,  presumably employed to widen the appeal).  No idea how close it is to the book. Described as a black comedy it was quite sad at times. Probably not something I'd have gone out my way to watch but I got engrossed.  

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Was going to watch Deadpool over the weekend but I watched the trailer beforehand and it put me off to be honest. So we watched Dad's Army instead. Not bad 6/10.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Deathgasm.

Imagine Shawn of The Dead crossed with a teenage high school Spinal Tap. Ish. Well.. Not really but it is worth a watch if you like metal and like comedy horror. Genuinely enjoyed it, my g/f picked it out. I was concerned it's be too gorey for me but it is done in a funny way so I could deal with it. Worth a watch 
    Thanks for this! Totally enjoying it ;)
    "Do it again"  =)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22861
    Nikko said:

I'm still waiting for my Mr Babadook book.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Nikko said:

Pretty shite, duck
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Nikko said:

I'm still waiting for my Mr Babadook book.

Id like to have a look at a Mr Babadook book. id read it while I cook...

Fuck me its all gone a bit Dr Zeuss in here!

Nikko said:

Pretty shite, duck

Dammit, Mark Kermode is safe for another week then.
  • Sporky said:
    Grabbers.

Low budget Irish fillum about invading monsters and being drunk.

Thoroughly enjoyable. Very funny.
    Thanks for this.... Great movie ;)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Grimsby. It shouldn't be funny but it really is. Mark Strong being ejaculated over by an elephant was a personal highlight. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Ant Man. It is quite funny and inventive. The only bits I didn't like were the annoying references to the Avengers. MrsTheWeary quite liked it and she doesn't like superhero films at all. Rife with silliness and logical inconsistencies but a fun ride. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Everybody Wants Some!!

The spiritual sequel to Dazed And Confused, which is one of my favourite movies ever. The soundtrack is fantastic, but otherwise not a patch on D&C. Some of the shots are lifted directly from D&C too, as if Linklater's tried too hard to re-create the magic and tipped over into self-plagiarism.

Still, not awful. And boobs.
    All practice and no theory
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    We had The Dark Knight Rises on the other night. I'd seen it before but it was new to MrsTheWeary who only persevered for a bit. It becomes deeply tedious,  shame as otherwise it has things I like about it and much less 'ooh CGI flying thing'  than some other superhero films. 
    I agree. Don't really understand why people like it. It's too long, it's a batman film in which batman barely features, and it's got some truly horrific plotholes.

I love the first Bale batman, and Dark Knight is ok but the third one is dire.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    just seen the new Star Trek film…
    loads of fun…
    really enjoyed it..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Tuscan777 said:
    Deadpool - so wanted to love it, just about liked it. It's just Ryan Reynolds dicking about isn't it?

Well, it's Ryan Reynolds doing a very accurate performance of Deadpool from the comics.

But - yeah. It's the same thing really. Except with less violence than the comics.
    One thing was wrong though as a comic adaptation - because of Marvel the character Deadpool doesn't swear, or rather when he does it's censored, something he finds frustrating. 

Now, I'm not saying they should have done that, but it's a difference to the comic. Also... And I'm not sure how it would come across in a film of this length, but a lot of the time his planning skills verge on the prescient, rather than just reacting to events. 

Otherwise it's a damned good adaptation of the comic character 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    edited July 2016
    Now You See Me

Magicky saturday night fluff. Silly ending and not as clever as it think it is, but still a fun watch all the same.  Though the CGI got in the way rather than helping. It would've been better with much less flashy bullshit. Woody Harrelson is excellent and Mark Zuckerberg plays himself, as usual.

Anyway, looking forward to the new one for more nonsense on the same theme.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Star Trek Beyond is the first sci-fi film in a year that I have thought was fkn awesome.

Let's wrap up the franchise here and finish on a high.

10/10