What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    Batman -v- Superman extended / ultimate version.

A Democratic Senator from Kentucky???

Goodbye credibility!

Batfleck was pretty good. This version of Lex Luthor was bloody awful though. Gene Hackman or GTFO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Now You See Me

Magicky saturday night fluff. Silly ending and not as clever as it think it is, but still a fun watch all the same.  Though the CGI got in the way rather than helping. It would've been better with much less flashy bullshit. Woody Harrelson is excellent and Mark Zuckerberg plays himself, as usual.

Anyway, looking forward to the new one for more nonsense on the same theme.
    Woody Harrelson is almost always brilliant... You should check out Now You See Me 2 (Now you see me with a Vengeance? Better than Now You See Me 2: Now You See Me Harder*). Woody makes the film in more way that one. 

*had a long chat with a friend who thinks all movie sequels should be named in line with the Die Hard films... Though he will concede that :The Revenge or Re-Animated are acceptable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Myranda said:
    Now You See Me

Magicky saturday night fluff. Silly ending and not as clever as it think it is, but still a fun watch all the same.  Though the CGI got in the way rather than helping. It would've been better with much less flashy bullshit. Woody Harrelson is excellent and Mark Zuckerberg plays himself, as usual.

Anyway, looking forward to the new one for more nonsense on the same theme.
    Woody Harrelson is almost always brilliant... You should check out Now You See Me 2 (Now you see me with a Vengeance? Better than Now You See Me 2: Now You See Me Harder*). Woody makes the film in more way that one. 

*had a long chat with a friend who thinks all movie sequels should be named in line with the Die Hard films... Though he will concede that :The Revenge or Re-Animated are acceptable. 
    I'm sure I'll catch it soon, either in cinemas or on another upcoming flight. Should be enjoyable if not exactly highbrow! 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Spy.

The first Paul Feig movie I've actually watched right through. Ye gads. Peter Serafinowicz is very very good, as is Jason Statham. Also, Melissa McCarthy falls over, and vomits, and farts. And bloody Miranda shapable-face is in it. All of which is precisely why people got upset about Feig-Busters because it's just dull lazy comedy. I did laugh at handful of witty jokes in this one, but it's pretty rubbish. 5/10

Fight Club
    One of my favourites as a student, but I hadn't seen it in a few years for fear it might have aged a bit badly, as Se7en has. It hasn't. It's still a marvellous movie start to finish.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    The Railway Man. Colin Firth is brilliant as a former POW tortured by his past. Made me tear up a bit at the end.

Very, very good. 10/10. 
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    I happened to watch 'Lucy' the other day.

The lass from lost in translation has some blue drugs kicked into her belly, she shoots some people causes a multi car pile up travels through time and eventually turns into a memory stick. 

Shit, zero out of ten.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Suicide Squad.

It is a good going romp.  I believe that this passes the @Clarky Test ie Lots of action and lots of fun.  I may go and see it again.

I have come to realise that I know nothing about films: I do not dislike the film the critics tell me to. 

• BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Suicide Squad.

It is a good going romp.  I believe that this passes the @Clarky Test ie Lots of action and lots of fun.  I may go and see it again.

I have come to realise that I know nothing about films: I do not dislike the film the critics tell me to. 

I enjoyed it too, no idea why it got slated, great action romp.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • Sharknado 4 - The 4th Awakens.

Brilliantly crap, just like the other 3! Tara Reid, The Hoff, and as many cameos as they could squeeze into just over an hour. If you've seen the others and got it, then more of the same and then some. If not, I'd advise against this as your first 'Nado outing.

I gave 'Nado 3 a 10/10 due to the space scenes, this only gets a 9/10 though.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • xsheqxsheq Frets: 71
    edited August 2016

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    BGG said:
    Suicide Squad.

I enjoyed it too, no idea why it got slated, great action romp.
    this one is totally on the list
    play every note as if it were your first
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Ab-Fab.

Total shite.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    rlw said:
    Ab-Fab.

Total shite.
    Allegedly they didn't give out preview copies to the critics. I think that should have warned everyone it was a complete dog. 

Saw Jason Bourne the other day. It was ok, the usual not much plot/fights/explosions/car chases. Some gaping holes in the plot but I guess you come to expect that. I do wish they'd lay off the trendy ultra-fast choppy editing though, gives me a headache. 
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Spike Island

Recorded earlier this year and got around to watching it last night.

You'd have thought, given the subject matter that it's target audience would have been those of us who were fortunate (or unfortunate depending on your point of view) enough to have been there. Instead it seems to be "coming of age" story targeted at a much younger viewing public. 

Very clichéd and it plays one the Manchester thing just a tad too much.

it was interesting to hear how good The Stone Roses sounded - they absolutely didn't sound like that in real life, I know 'cos I was there! 

Great sountrack.

Overall 6.5/10
    We are all Chameleons...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28230
    About a third of Wing Commander.

Maybe half of Riddick.

Neither worth the investment, despite very low expectations.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Not a new film, but me and the Missus watched 'Red' the other night.

What a brilliant film! Helen Mirren, Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Karl Urban, and a fantastically crazy John Malkovic. Lots of action and some dark humour. What more could you want?!?

Going to be watching 'Red 2' as soon as possible :)

9/10

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    It Follows. Standard horror fayre, 6.385/10.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Nikko said:

Not a new film, but me and the Missus watched 'Red' the other night.

What a brilliant film! Helen Mirren, Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Karl Urban, and a fantastically crazy John Malkovic. Lots of action and some dark humour. What more could you want?!?

Going to be watching 'Red 2' as soon as possible :)

9/10

Red was better than Red 2, but Red 2 is still more-of-the-same funennspek said:
    Things in that film felt so anachronistic that I wasn't sure what I was meant to think about the setting - that strange touch-screen-clamshell-phone-thing that one character is always using, but all the cars look late 80s early 90s ... big corded phones... but the internet is a thing... it's done to create a time setting that could be any decade - but comes out as no decade instead... and its distracting from a horror-ish film that is otherwise fairly well put together

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Yes I found the anachronisms both confusing and annoying. It was reasonably well done but I couldn't shake the feeling the film was trying to say something but never quite spat it out.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22864
    Myranda said:

ennspek said:
    Things in that film felt so anachronistic that I wasn't sure what I was meant to think about the setting - that strange touch-screen-clamshell-phone-thing that one character is always using, but all the cars look late 80s early 90s ... big corded phones... but the internet is a thing... it's done to create a time setting that could be any decade - but comes out as no decade instead... and its distracting from a horror-ish film that is otherwise fairly well put together

I loved that timeless aspect of It Follows!  Brilliant film, in my opinion, but I can see it's not for everyone.