What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• I finished watching the last of the three anime Godzilla movies on Netflix tonight. I'm a huge Godzilla fan, but, my gods, these films bored the life out of me. Roll on Godzilla: King Of The Monsters.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Baby Driver 9/10

Absolutely brilliant in every way. Must see .
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22834
    Justice League

What to say?  It's not completely terrible.  It's not actually boring.  It's just... there.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited January 2019
    Lets see..
    • Mary Poppins Returns  - nostalgic, not quite as much charm as the original (hard to top such a classic), but still enjoyable with Emily Blunt as Mary
    • Pacific Rim - harmless Sci-Fi nonsense romp, very good effects
    • Venom - good effects but otherwise pretty much rubbish
    • Solo (a Star Wars story) - imaginative prequel, great effects, and compulsory viewing for Star Wars fans
    • The shape of water - very good, but weird & very off-beat - mute woman meets fishman, saves fishman, turns her flat into a swimming pool and has sex with fishman
    • Green Lantern - just checking to see if it was quite as bad as I remembered it (it was)
    • Pale Rider - seen it several times, but really good Clint Eastwood film with ghostly undertones
    • Star Trek into darkness....really good, a must for Trekkies, some nice references and twists to Star Trek II, but much more 'grown-up' - Benedict Cumberbatch makes for a chilling Khan. 
    • The Magnificent Seven - of its time western, but still a great Cowboy version of the original great 'Seven Samurai' (if you haven't seen the original, it's Japanese, black & white, with subtitles - but it's a genuine classic you really should see!)

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • neilg said:

Have you watched the youtube videos showing that Snowpiercer could be a sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate factory?
    Yes, I saw a couple of those pop up on youtube but only watched one this morning. I was on the fence until he justified why Wilford specifically needed children for the machine!

We watched Molly's Game last night. I somehow missed that it was an Aaron Sorkin film until the very end! I really enjoyed it and there is a scene in it that has the best thing Kevin Costner has ever done. Jessica Chastain is tremendous and this is the first thing I've seen Idris Elba in that I've rated him.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    ICBM said:
    Tone71 said:
    Bird Box - Dull with a shit ending
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46846981

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
    Unfortunately she's not eligible for a Darwin Award.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    We watched ultra-lightweight 80s Romcom Mannequin at the weekend. A bit surprising some of the un-PC content, and people riding around on motorbikes without helmets. Kim Cattrall was lovely eye-candy at that age. Andrew McCarthy was in a lot of films back then, his career seemed to die somewhat.
    Victoria

A sort of art-house heist thriller in which a Spanish girl living in Berlin gets unwittingly involved in a robbery.  The big selling point - or gimmick - here is that the entire 136-minute film was shot in a single unbroken take.  By its nature it drags a little at times, but it's a remarkable achievement and quite fascinating.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Biutiful - Javier Bardem as a single dad, barely scratching a living somewhere in Barcelona. It starts off grim and then just gets grimmer. Not a movie to watch if you're easily depressed. Excellent acting by the whole cast, brilliant direction, moving. 8/10

(But will never watch again.)
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5371
    Finding Your Feet
    (2017)

Gave Mrs Snags the remote on Saturday night as I just couldn't be arsed. Turns out there's a lot of shite on the Virgin Movies thing, so it was a toss up between Deadpool and this.

Incredibly, unashamedly British (hell, English) feel-good-but-still-sad understated oldies rom-com type thing. The cast list should give you a reasonable idea: Imelda Staunton, Celia Imrie, Joanna Lumley, Timothy Spall, John Sessions, Josie Lawrence etc.

Fairly undemanding, makes you cry in all the places you expect it would (Mrs Snags, obviously not me, I would never cry at a film <cough>) but still has a warm, life-affirming heart to it. Improved by The Bloody Dog actually letting us sit next to each other on the sofa. A Sunday afternoon film that's better seen in the evening, as it were.

Unlikely to ever make anyone's classic list, mind.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited January 2019
    Colette - enjoyable enough but ultimately forgettable. 6/10

Stan & Ollie - charming film about Laurel and Hardy touring Britain after their best days are gone. Looks at their lives on and off stage. 8/10
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Watched ‘Sully’ the other night on Amazon Prime.

I usually struggle with Tom Hanks as he’s always Tom Hanks to me and it pulls me out of the movie, but I thought he did a good job in this. I’ll have to read up on the inquiry as I suspect it was quite exaggerated for the film. 
  • The War Zone

I went into it not knowing much about it, I really wish I had not watched it, most disturbing film I have ever seen..

but then, subject matter aside, some of the best acting and directing ever.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    The War Zone

I went into it not knowing much about it, I really wish I had not watched it, most disturbing film I have ever seen..

but then, subject matter aside, some of the best acting and directing ever.
    I saw that at the cinema on release. Stuck with me ever since. As you say - brilliant performances, but a very, very tough watch. Tim Roth has never directed another film since.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    Philly_Q said:
    Re:Born

OK Japanese actioner with Tak Sakaguchi.  Basically one long fight scene.
    Similar to 85% of Hollywood’s output then.

Caught This Happy Breed on YouTube, it’s a rip of the latest digitally restored print and it looks beautiful. Having a bit of a binge on 40’s propaganda flavoured films atm and this is one of the best. One of those films where every frame could be a painting, an incredible piece of work by Coward and Lean at the height of their powers.
  • JezWynd said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Re:Born

OK Japanese actioner with Tak Sakaguchi.  Basically one long fight scene.
    Similar to 85% of Hollywood’s output then.

Caught This Happy Breed on YouTube, it’s a rip of the latest digitally restored print and it looks beautiful. Having a bit of a binge on 40’s propaganda flavoured films atm and this is one of the best. One of those films where every frame could be a painting, an incredible piece of work by Coward and Lean at the height of their powers.
    Sounds interesting- I will give it a go. Thanks.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 243
    Green Book 9.1/10  great film really enjoyed it I would watch it again

Bohemian Rhapsody  8.8/10  Another great film the actor played freddie mercury so well no wonder he got oscar for it

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not yet he hasn't.
    Not yet he hasn't.
    Not this year he won't.
  • I watched the Eastrail 177 trilogy...

Unbreakable
    Split
    Glass

Split and Unbreakable both work as standalone films.  Split is probably more interesting to watch, but I did enjoy Unbreakable for its very different take on a superhero, and wanted to make sure I'd seen it before watching Glass.  Glass ties them both in together and if you weren't really sold on either previous film then there's not as much point in watching it standalone IMO.

However I personally liked Glass as the best of the 3, I can see why people might not like it but I thought the ending was pretty good.