What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    Rocker said:
    Downton Abbey

This film is really a two hour episode of the long running TV series.  It assumes that the viewer 'knows' the characters, the plot is simple and the camera work superb.  Sound FX use is minimal, apart from the echo in the downstairs corridors.

If you liked the TV series, a trip to the cinema is a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. 
    I would be fuming if I went the flicks and it was Downtown Abbey, like proper fuming
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22962
    Sassafras said:
    Knock Knock.
    I found it absolutely sickening. The first ten minutes of totally unconvincing  perfect happy American family life was nauseating beyond belief. I actually thought I might throw up. Then it lead into the establishing shots of his life as a successful architect living the American Dream which were equally unendurable. The film was only redeemed by the appearance of the 2 psychobitches who torture him, deservedly in his case I felt.
    Is that the one with Keanu Reeves?  It's not good.  It's Eli Roth though, so expectations shouldn't be too high.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    edited October 2019
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    Knock Knock.
    I found it absolutely sickening. The first ten minutes of totally unconvincing  perfect happy American family life was nauseating beyond belief. I actually thought I might throw up. Then it lead into the establishing shots of his life as a successful architect living the American Dream which were equally unendurable. The film was only redeemed by the appearance of the 2 psychobitches who torture him, deservedly in his case I felt.
    Is that the one with Keanu Reeves?  It's not good.  It's Eli Roth though, so expectations shouldn't be too high.
    That's the one.
    I was particularly annoyed because my local charity shop has raised its prices from 3 DVDs a £1 to 2 for a£1.
    Absolutely fuming that I squandered so much money on such an appalling time waste. It did feature Ana De Armas so not a total waste and the other girl, Lorenza Izzo was quite good.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    Terminator: Dark Fate.

Pretty much what @RaymondLin posted. More in the T1/T2 vein than the subsequent movies and all the better for it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
    Shaun the Sheep; Farmageddon. 87 mins of dialogue free slapstick. It’s had great reviews but I wasn’t as wowed as I expected to be. Still, lots of great gags and references to loads of other films. Just the thing for a wet Monday afternoon.7.5/10.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Shaun the Sheep as well for us tonight. 

I enjoyed spotting the references and my kids loved it. We’ve messed with stop motion animation ourselves so I always end up watching Aardman stuff from a technical point of view. 

Great ‘cameo’ right at the very very end (we were the only ones left at that point). 
  • Shaun the Sheep as well for us tonight. 

I enjoyed spotting the references and my kids loved it. We’ve messed with stop motion animation ourselves so I always end up watching Aardman stuff from a technical point of view. 

Great ‘cameo’ right at the very very end (we were the only ones left at that point). 
    I'm a huge Aardman fan myself as well, been one since as long as I can remember from watching Morph on Tony Hart's shows and I was given an Aardman Animations VHS for my birthday a very long time which cemented my love. 

Do you have any of your stop motion animations online? 

The new Shaun the Sheep looks good, but I'd be surprised if it's as good as the first feature which IMO is a masterpiece!  
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Re-watched The Quiet American. The phrases "finely crafted" and "intelligent drama" are a bit cliched, but really they perfecxtly describe this film. Michael Caine is superb as the world-weary journalist and the moral subtleties of Green's story come through well. Highly recommended.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    Dark Shadows

Tim Burton vampire fantasy with (surprise surprise) Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter, but also Eva Green and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Burton by numbers... I couldn't decide if it was meant to be a self-parody or not, but it definitely comes across as one. Eva Green overacts heroically as the villain, Depp underacts as himself as usual, Pfeiffer smoulders disdainfully throughout the whole thing, and Bonham-Carter is, er, in it. And Christopher Lee has a small cameo, wisely heavily disguised by a beard. Oh, and Alice Cooper is there too, as Alice Cooper!

Even if it's meant to be a send-up or a comedy, it's nowhere near as good as any of Burton's other films I can think of - it's not funny enough, not dark enough, and just seems like they were all just going through the motions. Recycling ideas from previous efforts doesn't help either, there were a couple of bits clearly borrowed from Beetlejuice, and probably more you'll recognise if you like Burton generally.

5/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22962
    I think Tim Burton's been going through the motions for a long, long time.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Philly_Q said:
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople
    I saw Taika Waititi's new film, JoJo Rabbit, a couple of weeks ago and it reminded me that I'd never seen  this.  It's rather wonderful.
    I watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople this weekend. Very, very good film.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
    Effie Gray. Emma Thompson's telling of the story of Effie's marriage to and subsequent annulment of Ruskin. Dakota Fanning as Effie is brilliant casting; she's the still centre of film and has just the look of the women that the pre-raphelites adored. The entire film looks like a lush pre-raphelite painting bought to life.

If I had a complaint it would be that it was too short - the film carries us up to her split from Ruskin but we don't see her achieve happiness with Millais. In fact the ending is quite downbeat but perhaps, on reflection, that's not a bad place to end it; the pre-raphelites had the air of a crew that relished their misery.
  • Official Secrets

Good movie.  The director reined in Keira Knightleys simpering thanks goodness
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Official Secrets

Good movie.  The director reined in Keira Knightleys simpering thanks goodness
    Does she simper?
    Can't say I'd noticed.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    sweepy said:
    Eli  on Netflix is excellent and well worth checking out, won’t say too much as it has a few twists and turns 
    I thought it was good until you find out what’s really going on then it’s super cheesy and cringy.
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited October 2019
    The Shining re-release. Excellent! It was amazing seeing this on the big screen. I never really paid attention to the score before, but when it’s blaring out at you in surround sound it makes the experience twice as unsettling. Hoping for an Eyes Wide Shut re-release, or another re-release of 2001

Edit: just seen the EWS rerelease is scheduled for ‘select cinemas’ at the end of next month  
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    The Shining re-release. Excellent! It was amazing seeing this on the big screen. I never really paid attention to the score before, but when it’s blaring out at you in surround sound it makes the experience twice as unsettling. Hoping for an Eyes Wide Shut re-release, or another re-release of 2001
    Apocalypse Now you want on big screen, Imax or whatever
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Stan and Ollie (free on Prime for all you Amazonians). The two leads are remarkable, they’ve got the look and mannerisms of L & H absolutely nailed down. Nicely judged storyline too...funny and poignant without being too sloppy. 9/10. Recommended. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265

I liked Stand & Ollie too. Very good.

Watched A Quiet Place last night - total bollocks. almost got to the switching it off point. The plot is just unbelievable. Even for a daft film it's just poor.

So many points at which you think, that's just bollocks. Like why walk round barefoot? You could at least wear socks.

the whole premise of the film revolves about having to be as quiet as possible. Well, what if you farted on the bog?

Apparently there is a sequel - won't be holding my breath for that one.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Snap said:

Watched A Quiet Place last night - total bollocks. almost got to the switching it off point. The plot is just unbelievable. Even for a daft film it's just poor.

So many points at which you think, that's just bollocks. Like why walk round barefoot? You could at least wear socks.

the whole premise of the film revolves about having to be as quiet as possible. Well, what if you farted on the bog?

Apparently there is a sequel - won't be holding my breath

It’s utter shite isn’t it? If they can go to the waterfall so the aliens can’t hear them then why not just live next to a waterfall? 

A sequel you say? Gawd help us.