What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16327
    Surveillance.

Five minutes in you think it seems so obvious that the twist will be...that it can't really be that, that's a red herring surely...and then that actually is the twist. 

Fairly unpleasant budget thriller, although Julia Ormond is now on my reserve wife list. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12477
    Olympus has fallen. Ex special forces man with history defeats filthy N Korean terrorists who have taken the president hostage in the Whitehouse. Ooorah!

Predictable cliche-ridden action nonsense but actually not bad.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5586
    Whiplash.

Excellent film. Awesome drumming and J.K. Simmons plays a total cnut.

A solid 11/4
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Rush

I really enjoyed it.  Being about one of my childhood sporting heroes (James Hunt) obviously helped quite a bit - as did getting all the nerdy details absolutely spot-on - but, apart from that, it was just a great movie.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72921
    I watched Avatar on the TV last night - I'd never seen it before, just a few brief sections.

Not sure what all the hype was about.

A lot of the visual imagery was stunning, but overall it still looked like a computer game rather than remotely real. A lot of it seemed to be nicked from 1970s album covers too.

The plot is basically Pocohontas with blue Indians…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    My Week with Marilyn

Stumbled across this on the iPlayer the other night.

Plenty of luvvies turning up, but a pretty captivating film and great performances from Eddie Redmayne (as the young guy, Colin, who blags his way into the movie business) and Michelle Williams doing an excellent Marilyn impression.

True story based on the book by Colin Clark.
    Avatar is awful. It did, however, make a lot of use of 3D. I think you can watch it to demonstrate 3D cinema/ TV but beyond that it is truly awful. And, yes, imagery nicked from elsewhere and the worst sci fi dialogue.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12477
    edited June 2015
    Avatar sold on it's innovative use of 3D CGI alone. Once everyone else had caught up it was revealed as the steaming turd that is really is. Doesn't help that it's got Sam "The Plank" Worthington starring.
    not_the_dj;679430" said:
    My Week with Marilyn

Stumbled across this on the iPlayer the other night.

Plenty of luvvies turning up, but a pretty captivating film and great performances from Eddie Redmayne (as the young guy, Colin, who blags his way into the movie business) and Michelle Williams doing an excellent Marilyn impression.

True story based on the book by Colin Clark.
    I saw that a while ago. I really enjoyed it. Bit of whimsy.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

Kingsman - a good old action romp.

Was watching it with wife and eldest so the last 2-3 minutes were a bit awkward especially the bit after the credits where it turns out she's pre-op TG.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I thought Kingsman was alright. Some nice nods to previous spy films/series. I couldn't see why the ending caused a kerfuffle though. I just thought it was taking the mickey out of Moonraker etc
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    American Sniper
    Bradley Cooper is a good actor, film on the other hand is run of the mill and pretty boring. Not quite sure what all the fuss was about
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited June 2015
    Minions

Birthday treat for my youngests 8th birthday. He loved it, the wife nodded off as we went for a meal before we watched and I ate a lot of chocolate eclairs, my other son (12) will watch anything all the way through and chuckled a bit every now and again. Good kids movie, the odd funny bit, surprisingly had some decent music including a bit of shredding and a nice ending. Overall pretty much what you'd expect.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16037
    jd0272 said:
    hootsmon;674977" said:
    sin city 2
    Fuck. Off.

Just finished watching on Netflix. Enjoyed. Switch off viewing. Marv Rules. Powers was excellently Evil.
    just finished the book vol 1..........Marv is the man right enough Bro....vol 2 of the book is the source of much of the material for the movie 2...goldie...............
    tae be or not tae be
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2949
    Watched Boyhood.    Christ it was long.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10506
    Killer Joe cos I saw @Bingefella or someone mention it 

Awesome movie 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Danny1969 said:
    Killer Joe cos I saw @Bingefella or someone mention it 

Awesome movie 
    Yeah it is very good.  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23528
    Cold in July 

I read the book a long time ago and I think the film's pretty faithful although it doesn't have much of the black humour of Joe R Lansdale's dialogue.  The film is deadly serious but still very good.  Jim Mickle's a good director, I've enjoyed all his films so far.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    finally got around to seeing Jurassic World..
    pretty much new what to expect.. and got it..
    loved it..
    loads of fun..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    edited July 2015
    A few I've seen recently...

Imitation Game: Brilliant, Benedict Cumberbatch was excellent. Heard it's not entirely accurate but I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Nightcrawler: Jake Gyllenhall is well creepy, proper psycho. 

Everly: Salma Hayek trapped in her apartment fighting off waves of gangsters. In her underwear. Not as good as it sounds sadly. 

Maggie: Zombie drama starring Arnie and Abigail Breslin. I posted a thread about this a while back, a different take on the zombie genre and worth watching. 

Mad Max: Missed a big chunk near the beginning so need to watch again but liked what I saw. 

Chappie: Wasn't what I expected but was ok. Didn't realise Die Antwoord were in it, those crazy South Africans!