NGD (of shame)

What's Hot
There's no easy way to do this so I'll just have to come out and say it:  I have bought a Gibson. Yep, the company that is to public relations as Genghis Khan was to making friends with other people. The company that can take a single-barrelled shotgun and blow both its feet off in one go. I had thought it was safe to go ahead as the Agnesi debacle was starting to fade into history but then of course Gibson had to do it again with the Maestro mess. I can only throw myself on the mercy of the court and say that I was seduced - seduced your honor - by years and years of listening to the sound of a strummed J-45. I had to have it. [Breaks down sobbing  in the dock. Sympathetic murmuring in the public gallery. Women dab their eyes with their handkerchiefs.]

Exhibit A

As I'm damned anyway I might as well say that I am really loving this guitar. With the war chest I had built up from selling gear and saving money I could have bought something more expensive - a Martin or a custom luthier job - but that wasn't the point: they wouldn't have scratched the itch. Strum down on this and the sound, especially from the top three strings, is that sound. It makes all the finger pointing and the people crossing the street to avoid me worth it. :)
0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Very nice. Say what they like about Gibson, there's nothing like a good J45.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited August 2021
    Your distress and guilt are clearly too much to bear. I'll be round tomorrow before vespers to take it away. You'll have time to kneel and seek forgiveness, as the heavenly sounds of of the nuns surrounding you fills the air and empties your tortured mind of devilish strumming.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jolly good show, enjoy it , Slash would like it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • J.PJ.P Frets: 44
    Congratulations! That’s badass. Despite some questionable marketing decisions and a lil corporate naffness, Gibson still make awesome guitars. I bought one of the new Southern Jumbos from Peach last year and it’s blumin magical. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    That’s looks wonderful!
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Stunning. J45s are gorgeous. Congrats. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Fabulous. Just bought a 'original '50's series' J-45 myself. What a lovely guitar, and what a lovely sound they make. Congratulations. 
    Call me Dave.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    edited August 2021
    A good J45 has a mid range unlike anything else.

I saw one of my favourite solo acoustic players playing his original 60's one live and the sound of it still haunts my dreams. 

Congratulations on your new J45. May it bring you lots of pleasure.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    I had a ‘61…

Stupidly sold it. So stupid. My biggest guitar regret by far. I can still remember exactly what it sounded like - I’ve played a couple of others the same sort of age but neither was quite as magical, and I can’t afford one now anyway.

Enjoy, and don’t sell!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Thank you all for the kind words, and @ICBM I take good note of your wise advice.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Gibson never seem to make the same build quality mistakes with their acoustics as their electrics so I’m not surprised you’re happy with it. I’m not usually a fan of dark sunburst guitars but that’s a sweet looker. Enjoy that sound. 
  • Dunt matter whether it's a Gibson or a Lowden or a Martin or anything else you're after, if you have an itch, nothing - nothing - else will scratch it.

Enjoy, and don't let your tears of sorrow and guilt rust too many sets of strings down the years. ;)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got one of these earlier this year and I absolutely love it. You can feel it in your chest.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9568
    Great write up - laughed and loved it !! 

Congrats
  • Rat_SaladRat_Salad Frets: 1
    edited August 2021
    I played a 2nd hand leftie J-45 deluxe (think it was in Macaris' but anyway it was somewhere around Denmark St) - it sounded beautiful but I wasn't really in the market for "another" guitar at the time. I ummed and ahhed all afternoon, then decided to go back and buy it, bloody thing was sold ! 

I've tried four or five J-45's since and none of them sounded as good as "the one". Biggest guitar regret by far. 

Looks like a beaut, above - nice one.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    nothing wrong with that at all - enjoy ;)