Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can you play Fingerstyle on a Dreadnought?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    Michael Watts SIr , lovely playing and touch ......I used to enjoy your NAG demos as much for the voiceover as the music .
    You have a very soothing voice ........get up to speed with the Country World ....Whispering Bob Harris can't go on forever and I think you're just the chap for a seamless transition !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11898
    Dominic said:
    ICBM said:
    bertie said:

both my elbows are buggered,  its the right one that impacted body size "changes"  I snapped my biceps tendon off, had to have it re engineered and attached with a metal pin  - that severely impacted what was and wasnt comfortable.
    My left elbow had a tendon debridement and repair - but hasnt affected me so much, oddly
    I can understand that. I actually like the bigger body sizes because my right arm seems to naturally hang in the right place over the top when I'm playing sitting down, so I imagine if your elbow is causing trouble it could affect that. I also like the neck to be a bit higher up, which helps my left-arm position - a smaller guitar has the neck lower down because the body is narrower. I'm probably playing wrong, but I prefer to have the neck roughly horizontal, not angled up like a classical guitarist would - apart from when I'm trying to play a classical ;).

For what it's worth I also find Telecasters more comfortable than Strats to play sitting down! The squarer body edges make it stay put, whereas a Strat tends to try to slide downwards and outwards.
    I know exactly what you mean ...........bizarrely it also about what trousers you are wearing !
    Some have less friction resistance and the guitar slides away ( sweat pants are pretty awful for this but don't get me started on the Lycra ! )
    I use those rubbery work mats

• LewyLewy Frets: 4211
    Dominic said:
    Michael Watts SIr , lovely playing and touch ......I used to enjoy your NAG demos as much for the voiceover as the music .
    You have a very soothing voice ........get up to speed with the Country World ....Whispering Bob Harris can't go on forever and I think you're just the chap for a seamless transition !
    Imagine a conversation between Michael Watts and Paul Davids. I can feel my blood pressure lowering just thinking about it......
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Dominic said:
    ICBM said:
    bertie said:

both my elbows are buggered,  its the right one that impacted body size "changes"  I snapped my biceps tendon off, had to have it re engineered and attached with a metal pin  - that severely impacted what was and wasnt comfortable.
    My left elbow had a tendon debridement and repair - but hasnt affected me so much, oddly
    I can understand that. I actually like the bigger body sizes because my right arm seems to naturally hang in the right place over the top when I'm playing sitting down, so I imagine if your elbow is causing trouble it could affect that. I also like the neck to be a bit higher up, which helps my left-arm position - a smaller guitar has the neck lower down because the body is narrower. I'm probably playing wrong, but I prefer to have the neck roughly horizontal, not angled up like a classical guitarist would - apart from when I'm trying to play a classical ;).

For what it's worth I also find Telecasters more comfortable than Strats to play sitting down! The squarer body edges make it stay put, whereas a Strat tends to try to slide downwards and outwards.
    I know exactly what you mean ...........bizarrely it also about what trousers you are wearing !
    Some have less friction resistance and the guitar slides away ( sweat pants are pretty awful for this but don't get me started on the Lycra ! )
    I use those rubbery work mats

As trousers?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5450
    No no Prigmnr, as underpants. Do try to keep up.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Absolutely beautiful fingerstyle playing there from Michael Watts. It was clear to me though that the guitar came alive when being flat-picked. The dreadnought sounds absolutely monster in bluegrass bands.

I have a folk singer/guitarist mate who plays a Martin dreadnought and he's about 5'5" tall. He doesn't seem to have any difficulty with it at all and it sounds wonderful both finger-picked and strummed. As a finger-picker I've played guitars from 00 up to super-jumbo of various makes and qualities and find I'm most comfortable with an OM or LG2.

This comparison of Martin D18 and D28 by talented finger-picker Pauli Halme is interesting: