Boxing thread

What's Hot
2456727

Comments

  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    I can’t see any method of scoring that could give it to Taylor 114 - 111. 

    Embarrassing - you can’t blame Taylor of course but in the post fight interview he said he landed the better quality shots and came on strong. He got put down in the second half of the fight FFS.

    It was messy with all the holding and clinching as well by both and not the best fight.  
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not a great fight. Scrappy and neither fighter really demonstrated their considerable talents, but how Catterall is not champion now is beyond me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    From what I’ve read it seems like it was a huge robbery. 
    Adam Smith (Sky Sports) sounded disgusted with the judges scorecards
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12433
    So Fury vs Whyte and lickle Fury fighting someone who has actually won a fight.  I agree with the pundits that Fury wins but I think will be a lot closer than people suggest and he may well have to get up off the canvas again to win it.

    I predict Fury r9 by KO.

    Have bit the bullet and paid for it, anyone else watching it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    Yip I'll be watching but only the main event, shocking undercard, it's about time Fury fought someone who's actually good and I'm hoping for a Whyte win, he deserves it and think he has it in him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    Yeah I’ll be watching all being well. 

    Was at Manchester for the Conor Benn fight at the weekend. Billham-Smith v McCarthy was the bout I was looking forward to and it didn’t disappoint. The rest of the card wasn’t great but it was a decent night out. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12433
    Iamnobody said:
    Yeah I’ll be watching all being well. 

    Was at Manchester for the Conor Benn fight at the weekend. Billham-Smith v McCarthy was the bout I was looking forward to and it didn’t disappoint. The rest of the card wasn’t great but it was a decent night out. 
    I’ve seen the benn fight, it’s difficult to rate him so far. Algieri was somewhat of a gatekeeper but I’d like to see him in with someone better before he goes for a title. 

    The lightweight tournament in sky was pretty entertaining one of the best tournaments I can remember.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    munckee said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Yeah I’ll be watching all being well. 

    Was at Manchester for the Conor Benn fight at the weekend. Billham-Smith v McCarthy was the bout I was looking forward to and it didn’t disappoint. The rest of the card wasn’t great but it was a decent night out. 
    I’ve seen the benn fight, it’s difficult to rate him so far. Algieri was somewhat of a gatekeeper but I’d like to see him in with someone better before he goes for a title. 

    The lightweight tournament in sky was pretty entertaining one of the best tournaments I can remember.  
    Yeah Eddie is definitely being cautious with him and he’s not really hiding the fact. Risk v reward with some fights and the potential marketability of Benn means his being handled with extra care. Who would you like to see him in with?

    Hatton jr was lower down the bill - he’s very much a work in progress at the moment. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12433
    Iamnobody said:
    munckee said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Yeah I’ll be watching all being well. 

    Was at Manchester for the Conor Benn fight at the weekend. Billham-Smith v McCarthy was the bout I was looking forward to and it didn’t disappoint. The rest of the card wasn’t great but it was a decent night out. 
    I’ve seen the benn fight, it’s difficult to rate him so far. Algieri was somewhat of a gatekeeper but I’d like to see him in with someone better before he goes for a title. 

    The lightweight tournament in sky was pretty entertaining one of the best tournaments I can remember.  
    Yeah Eddie is definitely being cautious with him and he’s not really hiding the fact. Risk v reward with some fights and the potential marketability of Benn means his being handled with extra care. Who would you like to see him in with?

    Hatton jr was lower down the bill - he’s very much a work in progress at the moment. 
    I just watched the Hatton fight. He is so open and wild. Entertaining but risky. 

    Id like to see benn fight kell brook, I think he may well lose it if he does but not a career or health damaging loss and would be great experience for him. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    munckee said:
    Iamnobody said:
    munckee said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Yeah I’ll be watching all being well. 

    Was at Manchester for the Conor Benn fight at the weekend. Billham-Smith v McCarthy was the bout I was looking forward to and it didn’t disappoint. The rest of the card wasn’t great but it was a decent night out. 
    I’ve seen the benn fight, it’s difficult to rate him so far. Algieri was somewhat of a gatekeeper but I’d like to see him in with someone better before he goes for a title. 

    The lightweight tournament in sky was pretty entertaining one of the best tournaments I can remember.  
    Yeah Eddie is definitely being cautious with him and he’s not really hiding the fact. Risk v reward with some fights and the potential marketability of Benn means his being handled with extra care. Who would you like to see him in with?

    Hatton jr was lower down the bill - he’s very much a work in progress at the moment. 
    I just watched the Hatton fight. He is so open and wild. Entertaining but risky. 

    Id like to see benn fight kell brook, I think he may well lose it if he does but not a career or health damaging loss and would be great experience for him. 
    Not sure Kell Brook will fight again tbh. Retiring would be sensible IMO. Nothing to prove to anyone and he is getting on a bit. 

    Fury - I think he'll wallop Whyte. Whyte isn't that good, let's not kid ourselves. CBA staying up to watch that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    munckee said:
    Iamnobody said:
    munckee said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Yeah I’ll be watching all being well. 

    Was at Manchester for the Conor Benn fight at the weekend. Billham-Smith v McCarthy was the bout I was looking forward to and it didn’t disappoint. The rest of the card wasn’t great but it was a decent night out. 
    I’ve seen the benn fight, it’s difficult to rate him so far. Algieri was somewhat of a gatekeeper but I’d like to see him in with someone better before he goes for a title. 

    The lightweight tournament in sky was pretty entertaining one of the best tournaments I can remember.  
    Yeah Eddie is definitely being cautious with him and he’s not really hiding the fact. Risk v reward with some fights and the potential marketability of Benn means his being handled with extra care. Who would you like to see him in with?

    Hatton jr was lower down the bill - he’s very much a work in progress at the moment. 
    I just watched the Hatton fight. He is so open and wild. Entertaining but risky. 

    Id like to see benn fight kell brook, I think he may well lose it if he does but not a career or health damaging loss and would be great experience for him. 
    Forgot to reply to this, the new boxing thread reminded me. I’m not sure about the Brook fight. It seems Kell wants £10 million! The Michael McKinson fight would be be a decent shout. Two undefeated fighters the winner goes on for a title shot. Makes a great fight but maybe not business.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12433
    If Brook is demanding £10 million to fight then he has technically retired!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12433
    munckee said:
    If Brook is demanding £10 million to fight then he has technically retired!
    And he did!

    I've delayed posting about Canelo's loss to Bivol until I had seen the fight.  Got up at stupid o clock and it wasn't even on the radio, I had to follow round by round updates.

    The apparent shock of the result has glossed over the hidious marking.  I would say he maybe won round 5 and he could have had a share of one or two others if you were extremely generous.  119-109 was the most common score I saw from journalists and all three judges were 113-115.  You can imagine the whispered conversations saying we can't even make this a draw we'll get lynched.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    munckee said:
    munckee said:
    If Brook is demanding £10 million to fight then he has technically retired!
    And he did!

    I've delayed posting about Canelo's loss to Bivol until I had seen the fight.  Got up at stupid o clock and it wasn't even on the radio, I had to follow round by round updates.

    The apparent shock of the result has glossed over the hidious marking.  I would say he maybe won round 5 and he could have had a share of one or two others if you were extremely generous.  119-109 was the most common score I saw from journalists and all three judges were 113-115.  You can imagine the whispered conversations saying we can't even make this a draw we'll get lynched.
    I didn’t watch it live but was able to watch it yesterday when I woke up without knowing the outcome.

    113-115 is a joke. If Canelo had a good last round they’d have scored it a draw? 

    Bivol executed the plan perfectly and like you I’d give 3 generous rounds to Canelo. 

    He looked bad and frustrated towards the end blowing etc and Bivol looked fresh composed and in complete control. 

    I haven’t read any of the post fight analysis yet but the DAZN comms team are shocking at the best of times. They seemed so relieved that the right man won on the night but completely glossed over the piss poor judging as you say. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 341
    No way it was 113-115. The fact that Canelo got so frustrated shows how little success he was having. Boxing scoring has become a joke in many ways. I've been following Bivol's career for some time and I was pretty confident he'd win on points if it went the distance. I think Canelo has gone a weight division too far at light-heavy (he started around welterweight from what I recall). I had Kovalev ahead in their light-heavy fight until the knockout and the Russian was well past his best when they fought. Canelo undoubtably has a lot of power for his natural weight, but Bivol took a hell of a shot from Joe Smith Jr when they met and that shows he's able to cope with power punches from naturally bigger men. He's a natural light-heavyweight and moves well as a result. Canelo looked knackered at the end of the fight on Saturday. Bivol vs Beterbiev will be much more interesting, assuming the latter beats Smith Jr. Beterbiev doesn't have Bivol's skill, footwork especially, but he has freakish power and is better than many give him credit for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7242
    Agree re the weight thing , the only welterweight I can think of that looked at home at light heavy was The Hit Man and he must have been at least 4 inches taller than Canelo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 341
    Agree re the weight thing , the only welterweight I can think of that looked at home at light heavy was The Hit Man and he must have been at least 4 inches taller than Canelo
    True. Hearns also had an impressive reach, which Canelo doesn't. That hampered the Mexican against Bivol whose skilful footwork helped him to keep a safe distance. For all his ability, I think that Bivol has room to improve even further. His lateral movement isn't his greatest strength - he's more of an in-out counter puncher. Now, if he was to take a leaf out of Lomachenko's book (easier said than done, I know) and combine great side movement with his already excellent forwards-backwards footwork, he'd be very, very hard to beat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    I’ve only seen the highlights of Canelo v Bivol, but have been watching people on YouTube discussing the fight. Most seem to be scoring it either: 10 rounds Bivol/ 2 rounds Canelo or 9 rounds Bivol/ 3 rounds Canelo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    edited July 2022
    Anyone have any thoughts on Eubank Jnr v Connor Benn??? Apparently they're just agreeing the rehydration clauses before announcing.

    I know there's 13lb difference between the weights they fight at but I'm still intrigued and think it will be interesting. Eubank Jnr is a talent that never stepped up successfully, has a good chin but between styles whereas Benn is just like his dad, wears it on his sleeve, can and will bring a fight however is young and untested against decent opposition.

    Plus with their dads lurking in the background could be a lot of fun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12433
    Tone71 said:
    Anyone have any thoughts on Eubank Jnr v Connor Benn??? Apparently they're just agreeing the rehydration clauses before announcing.

    I know there's 13lb difference between the weights they fight at but I'm still intrigued and think it will be interesting. Eubank Jnr is a talent that never stepped up successfully, has a good chin but between styles whereas Benn is just like his dad, wears it on his sleeve, can and will bring a fight however is young and untested against decent opposition.

    Plus with their dads lurking in the background could be a lot of fun.
    I’ve a feeling this might be too soon for Benn with the weight difference. I feel like he might be on top but get worn down and stopped., a bit like Haye against Thompson.  

    Should be a decent fight though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
Sign In or Register to comment.