Greg Gilbert

Garold86Garold86 Frets: 17
I know he'd been seriously ill for quite a while, there was a crowdfunder back in 2016 for treatment etc., but this one has come as a bit of a shock. 44 is no age whatsoever.

I got to know the Delays a bit back in my younger days in Southampton, not too long after Faded Seaside Glamour came out. Greg always seemed a good lad, and was an amazing artist (check out his biro drawings if you have a spare 5 mins). 

Thoughts are with his family right now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-58756748
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 14266
    I saw them live on the tour for I think the second album back in the day. 

Really great underrated band. 

Didn't even no he was ill, so sad.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 17673
    This one hurts. I absolutely loved Faded Seaside Glamour and they were great live. Very sad news
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1074
    Agree with all this. Greg was a total triple threat - writer, singer, player.

I love the Delays and I'll miss Greg dearly.

• ianian Frets: 4
    Came as a shock to me when I saw the news on the BBC's web site this morning - I didn't know he was ill.

Although I never saw the band, how could I not buy the wonderful "Faded Seaside Glamour" after hearing "Nearer Than Heaven". That track, just like "There She Goes" by the Las, is a piece of pop perfection.

He was taken cruelly early, and my heart goes out to his family and friends, and everybody else for whom his passing has left a hole. RIP Greg.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 993
    I remember hearing Nearer Than Heaven a few times on the radio and being immediately hooked by his voice and the wonderful harmonies. I knew I had to get it despite not catching the name of the band. I was looking at the first 2 LPs that I have on CD the other day and wondering what became of the band. I had no idea he was unwell. So sad.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 4999
    Sad loss of a wonderful musician and songwriter, made genuinely gorgeous pop songs and hopefully they will stand the test of time as they deserve to.

One of a handful of indie bands from the early 2000s I go back to and they were as good as I thought they were at the time.

RIP Greg :(
    We should all probably bear in mind more when posting on here (and I don't exclude myself from this) that the guitar world is very small, the Fretboard is quite well known, and it is not uncommon at all for the subjects of our posts to read them...