Ovation acoustics, are they still going?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• I went through a series of Adamas II guitars in the 80s and 90s (trying different depths, cutaway/non cutaway, different colours). They all had the best necks I’ve ever played (quite distinct V and I always liked the sound. For me it was full depth with cutaway that worked best. 

I also owned three nylon string Ovations that were really excellent, narrowish classical neck - very playable and good plugged in sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    The subject happened to come up in conversation with my local luthier/repairer this week. Before saying too much, he asked if I liked Ovations. (I think he was just checking in case he had to be tactful if I'd said "Oh yes, my favourite guitars".)

Anyway, he said he gets a lot of them in for repair with a characteristic fault: cracking in the wooden top. As he put it, the plastic bowl back can't move (with temperature and humidity changes) while the top has to move. Result: peculiar cracks which sit up above the rest of the surface and are very difficult to repair neatly. He did say it was mostly old ones. Whether that is because the new ones are better made and have some better way of coping with expansion or whether it is simply because hardly anyone buys them anymore, he didn't say.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited December 2021
    Interesting about the cracks in the tops. Not seen that myself but I've not seen old Ovations where issues have had longer to develop. I've heard Ovations (a guy last night who came on after me at a gig played one) and to my ear they sound thin  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72403
    edited December 2021
    The cracks are usually in the finish, not the wood as far as I've seen. Very common on older Ovations. The finish is an early and very hard polyester as far as I know - very resistant to wear and scratching, but prone to cracks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ovations are still the best guitars for the stage! I was playing a Legend 1617 200 nights a year for 16yrs. Reliable, never out of tune and sound that cuts through anything. Now I have guitars from the big makers but none can beat Ovations 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @Costai ; firstly, welcome to the forum :). Yes, AFAIK, Ovation is still making guitars.