Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'Noise' solos?

What's Hot

Comments

• No one's mentioned Sonic Youth....... a plethora of Ranaldo and Moore noise fests in their catalogue. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    4on6 said:
    Haven’t seen Fripp or Belew mentioned yet?? (Or did I just miss it??) Surely they are naturalised in these climes?? Fripps solo on Bowie’s Fashion and Belews on Talking Heads The Great Curve come to mind... then does anyone remember the Flying Lizzards cover of Barrett Strong's Money? No idea who that was but it interested me at the time. 
    It's very pedantic but people give too much credit already to the mop tops. 

I was thinking of songs like Heroes and Boys Keep Swinging although I haven't listened to them for ages. Fripp plays on some of David Sylvian's solo work and I love the atmospheric playing although probably not many defined solos ( that come to mind anyway).    
    Of course!! I stand correctly corrected. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Loobs said:
    Marc Ribot on some of the early Tom Waits stuff probably qualifies. 
    I think that his work with Waits can be very melodic but with an amazing, gutbucket sort of sound.

If you want some noisy Ribot, look no further than Ceramic Dog:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy Bell of Ride going ballistic with the wah on this scorching version of Seagull

https://youtu.be/Xy44DgD_F6g

Kim Thail also loves his off the wall wah solos

https://youtu.be/gkPDK0m8Ir4

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Basher said:
    Loobs said:
    Marc Ribot on some of the early Tom Waits stuff probably qualifies. 
    I think that his work with Waits can be very melodic but with an amazing, gutbucket sort of sound.

If you want some noisy Ribot, look no further than Ceramic Dog:

Seeing them for the second time in December, Ribot is an absolute favourite of mine and huge inspiration!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Think it is Phil Manzanera on this -

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Loobs said:
    Or maybe Graham Coxon on Coffee & TV by Blur? 
    Also "There's no Other Way" but someone probably mentioned that by now.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22883
    Another from Page Hamilton.  Starts building up around 2:20 then kicks off after 2:50.

• I know it's not really noise (except for the Arc Weld thingy), but Neil Young's soloing always sounds like a fight between melody and cacophony. Absolute filth.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    Redlester said:
    Robert Quine is the master. Exhibit A: Waves of Fear by Lou Reed. 
    Also, his playing on Mathew Sweet's 'Girlfriend' and 'Altered Beast.'

David Torn

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22883
    Greatape said:
    Redlester said:
    Robert Quine is the master. Exhibit A: Waves of Fear by Lou Reed. 
    Also, his playing on Mathew Sweet's 'Girlfriend' and 'Altered Beast.'
    I love those albums.  Such a great combination of beautiful catchy pop songs and filthy guitar.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    Terror Couple Kill Colonel by Bauhaus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    https://youtu.be/eURiSqDih6M

16:16 onwards. Love it.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Officially the best thread on tfb this year. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Slayer's solos are generally an awful noise.
    haha, was going to say Kerry King! Yep, they always remind me of a young fella learning how to play lead guitar, or learning how to shred, is kind of half way there, but figures out how to use a whammy bar and shitloads of distortion to make it sound really cool. Still, it worked for Slayer, and was part of their sound, so more power to them!
  • OP reminded me of Slayer meets Max Cavalera.  I need to listen to more Helmet.

I improvised this solo at around 3m 10s which is maybe more dissonant than just noise but was quite happy with it, as I tend to play much more controlled and measured way:

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I've always had a soft spot for this video of Glenn Branca beating up a telecaster in 1978

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Slayer's solos are generally an awful noise.
    haha, was going to say Kerry King! Yep, they always remind me of a young fella learning how to play lead guitar, or learning how to shred, is kind of half way there, but figures out how to use a whammy bar and shitloads of distortion to make it sound really cool. Still, it worked for Slayer, and was part of their sound, so more power to them!
    I'm not very familiar with Slayer but I remember reading an interview with him years ago in which he said his approach to solos was pretty much just making random noise, I was never quite sure whether he meant it or not. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Does the 15 or so seconds from 3:50 count as a solo? Some pick scrapey things

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Slayer's solos are generally an awful noise.
    I'm not very familiar with Slayer but I remember reading an interview with him years ago in which he said his approach to solos was pretty much just making random noise, I was never quite sure whether he meant it or not. 
    He meant it - I played in a Slayer cover band and can tell you that a lot of Slayer 'solos' are based off the exact same fretboard run, with varying amounts of random whammy action thrown in  - not exactly musical , but thats the point. I love Slayer