Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is there a well known band you'd have liked to have been in?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22804
    Guy did some lockdown videos if anyone is interested in his approach ( and wants to see if they can recognise him).  
    I watched a Saucerful of Secrets gig on TV and thought Guy had turned into Rick Stein.

Now, thankfully, he is sporting a beard so there's no risk of people asking him about interesting things to do with fish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Just picked up this thread ... brilliant question to pose. 
    Immediately I would say Thin Lizzy ... saw them three times ... great rock band live (before it went Pete Tong) ... Live And Dangerous still a good listen.
    Imagine trying to keep up with Robbo and Lynott off-stage. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    The Blockheads, 1980s era
  • Interesting thread. Totally get what you mean. There are bands I love who I wouldn’t want to actually be part of myself - Depeche Mode, for example, Iron Maiden (as a previous poster mentioned), Prince - but some bands I reckon I would feel at home in  - in a spiritual/ artistic sense if, sadly, not in a talented-enough-for-the-job sense...

Black Crowes probably top the list, but I’d love to jam with Gov’t Mule (or Warren Haynes in any of his many musical endeavours) or the Marcus King Band.

I reckon Buddy Guy would be ace to jam with too, but I wouldn’t pretend I knew his oeuvre well enough. 

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Philly_Q said:
    Guy did some lockdown videos if anyone is interested in his approach ( and wants to see if they can recognise him).  
    I watched a Saucerful of Secrets gig on TV and thought Guy had turned into Rick Stein.

Now, thankfully, he is sporting a beard so there's no risk of people asking him about interesting things to do with fish.

Has he played with Fish too?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    It would need to be a band at about my competence level and undisciplined approach to learning stuff accurately, which would limit it somewhat...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I've always thought the E Street Band would be my #1 pick for this. Then probably U2.

I reckon Prince's band would've been a damn fun place to be if you could keep up.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • vizviz Frets: 10693
    Good question. I’d love to have the opportunity to play in Sinead o’Connor’s band. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Genesis, Yes, It Bites...
    Teacher, musician, generally an enthusiastic and peaceful idealist. Run the Contemporary Guitar Performance Workshop education project and the Audio Design Workshop studio. Online guitar and piano/keyboard lessons available over Zoom/Skype. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Parliament/Funkadelic 

Try keeping up with THAT lot :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Alice Cooper seems to be a great guy to work with.

I'd like to play in any of the bands my friends were in at school - I wished I'd picked up a guitar when I was a kid, as by now I'd presumably be on stage with Steve Vai, or showing Yngwe a thing or two.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Cardiacs
    Last Exit (i.e. Brötzmann, Jackson, Laswell, Sharrock)
    Stump
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1578
    stufisher said:
    Just picked up this thread ... brilliant question to pose. 
    Immediately I would say Thin Lizzy ... saw them three times ... great rock band live (before it went Pete Tong) ... Live And Dangerous still a good listen.
    Imagine trying to keep up with Robbo and Lynott off-stage. 

Yeah great call. I'd have to work round (a) the lack of talent (mine not theirs) and (b) the fact that Lynott hated Robbo with a passion. Maybe go out on the tear with each on alternate nights :)
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited October 2021
    Well, I always thought Led Zep would have sounded a lot better live with a second guitarist...I’d just stand in the background somewhere like Malcom Young and let Jimmy do his thing.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Thin Lizzy during the Live and Dangerous era
  • Squeeze probably, when I'm not playing for Elvis & the Attractions. 
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited October 2021
    On a slightly different tangent, I was at a gig in Edinburgh probably about 3 years ago now. About two thirds the way through, I remember thinking to myself " If I had a choice, I'd be in a band like this one"..... Warpaint. Obviously not feasible for me to be in an all female Indie band, but to play in a band that can really rock with a a decent degree of subtlety and a bit of quirkiness would really suit me down to the ground.

Looking forward to seeing them again in 2022. Ticket bought last week as soon as bookings became available.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Eagles for me.  Or maybe The Byrds...

• DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    edited October 2021
    I'm close friends with Vern Miller, the bass player for the 60's Boston band, The Remains. In 2013, their drummer died suddenly. After a month or so, I had a talk with Vern and told him I wanted a chance at the drum chair. He told me all he could do was offer my name as a possible replacement, but ultimately, the decision was up to guitarist/leader Barry Tashian. I knew the material and had seen the band several times live. It never happened. Barry called Peter Wolf, who recommended a drummer he knew from Connecticut. He did several dates with them before the band finally decided to call it quits a couple of years ago.  

I wanted that so badly, I could taste it. I knew I could make them sound good. It was very disappointing. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6999
    ZZ Top.  Judging by the excellent documentary “Little Old Band From Texas”, being in the band was an absolute hoot and they never had any major fallouts.