Total Newbie. Finishing an ash body with tru oil?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @ThePrettyDamned I was just about to double check this. With an unfinished neck is it just a case of applying the product or should it be lightly sanded first…?

It'll need sanding, but you said it's satin - if it has a finish on it, and you are wanting to apply your own, it might not work very well. 

If it's naked, you are good to go. I sand to 320 or 400 grit and then rub my finish in thin layers. 

I tried using polyurethane finish, and it does feel nice when cured, but I prefer the feel of wudtone neck finish - although that's most likely a function of how well I finished the necks, rather than the products themselves. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ThePrettyDamned Its actually unfinished. My mistake. Still waiting for it to arrive.
  • @ThePrettyDamned Its actually unfinished. My mistake. Still waiting for it to arrive.
    That's great! In that case, definitely sand it so it's smooth and even, then finish with your choice. @WezV is much more knowledgeable than I, but I really do rate wudtone - and if it is just osmo, you can probably get it cheaper! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Another newbie question. Would it be ok to use tru oil over a stain finish (e.g. one of those finishing stains on the crimson website)?
  • Another newbie question. Would it be ok to use tru oil over a stain finish (e.g. one of those finishing stains on the crimson website)?

It might lift a solvent based stain. I imagine a water based stain would be untouched, but I would definitely test first no matter what - you'll be surprised at what you can learn when testing (like how much darker a stain looks under a clear coat). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

It might lift a solvent based stain. I imagine a water based stain would be untouched, but I would definitely test first no matter what - you'll be surprised at what you can learn when testing (like how much darker a stain looks under a clear coat). 
    Yep, the most obvious advice I should heed! :)