Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any Historic Makeovers in the UK

What's Hot
Recently bought an R8 - lovely guitar but possibly looking at getting the FB replaced as it’s very pale/pau ferro (but plays brilliantly) - is there anyone in the uk who would do something like that ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18757
    Seems extreme, if it's otherwise a keeper then try to dye/stain it first?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    Try https://huwpriceguitar.com/ – he's done a lot of restoration/relic'ing work over the past few years, as documented in the mag and on Guitar.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Are you looking for a full makeover e.g. refin/reshape, or just a fretboard change? if the latter I'd imagine a competent luthier would be able to do that for you?
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Recently bought an R8 - lovely guitar but possibly looking at getting the FB replaced as it’s very pale/pau ferro (but plays brilliantly) - is there anyone in the uk who would do something like that ?

I’d have thought an R8 would have a rosewood board.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    markj said:

I’d have thought an R8 would have a rosewood board.
    Yup I think the only deviation was Bolivian rosewood in 2020?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Assuming it’s the one in your profile pic but can you upload the pics here with the spec sheet?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    edited October 2021
    If its just about colour, it makes a lot more sense to darken the board rather than replace it.   Let's see some pics so we can advise properly

It won't be Pau Ferro.  Don't think Gibson have used it... (edit.  I see that is another name for Pau Fero  so maybe it is)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7222
    edited October 2021
    Pau Ferro is often referred to as "Bolivian" or "Bolivian rosewood".  It is very similar to proper rosewood, perhaps even slightly denser, but is less oily and glue sticks more readily to it without much need to wipe it down with solvent.
    [Edit] - sorry, I hadn't seen your edit Wez.
    Hope this helps (very handsome guitar).

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks sorry much Kittyfrisk, that’s really helpful
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22825
    WezV said:
    If its just about colour, it makes a lot more sense to darken the board rather than replace it.   Let's see some pics so we can advise properly

It won't be Pau Ferro.  Don't think Gibson have used it... (edit.  I see that is another name for Pau Fero  so maybe it is)
    I've got a custom shop LP Special with a very pale, close-grained board which doesn't darken much at all when oiled.  I guess it must be rosewood but it's different from the rosewood on any other Gibson I've owned.
  • Personally I would leave it. Fret doctor oil and forget about it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    I don't think its far off.   Not sure if ot pau Ferro or not from pics, could be Indian.  Check the spec sheet for the model year.

Replacing the whole board to get it darker is definitely going to be an expensive way to do it and it won't sound better or worse for it.

I know historic makeovers do it, but that's specifically to copy more vintage accurate woods and specs.  Very expensive way to go for minimal benefit

I do some fretboard darkening here on a vintage gibson board that was not as dark as yours.
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/211635/replica-les-paul-rebuild/p5

Although on a complete guitar I prefer to go with dye for stability. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Years ago I had a PRS Ltd Edition with a Brazilian board that was lighter than that.  I wouldn't worry about it.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5448
    edited October 2021
    Learn to love it. The days of using Brazilian Rosewood and Red Spruce and mahogany and ebony for everything are over. (1) There aren't enough of those trees left to make all the guitars people want (and where you do get a bit it is often a substandard leftover). (2) There are many, many other timbers as good and better than the traditional ones, people just had to learn what they were and how to use them. All good guitar manufacturers these days know how to use modern tonewoods and are not foolishly wedded to the unsustainable practices of the past. Don't be silly. It's a beautiful guitar. Leave the fretboard alone and play it often.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    What about that stain that was the subject of a 30 page thread here a few months ago?
    Can't remember its name.
  • Could try some Monty’s Montepresso, but not sure how effective the results would be. Cheaper and easier than replacement though
    Sassafras said:
    What about that stain that was the subject of a 30 page thread here a few months ago?
    Can't remember its name.
    Original Sin?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    Another good tip for darkening rosewood boards is bore oil. I’ve had success with this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alisyn-Conditioner-Woodwind-Protect-Condition/dp/B007PDSK84

Better than lemon oil in various respects and the appearance of the 'board is darkened and enriched for much longer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom