Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any Historic Makeovers in the UK

What's Hot

Comments

• Definitely leave it! Stunning guitar. I'm never one for LP bursts, often think they look tacky, but if an R8 is as accurate as many say then this is what they're supposed to look like, and I can definitely see the appeal!!

I'd see if there's a stain/oil you could apply but beyond that I can't imagine the work would be worthwhile and you might harm a perfectly beautiful instrument. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22798
    chrisv said:
    Another good tip for darkening rosewood boards is bore oil. I’ve had success with this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alisyn-Conditioner-Woodwind-Protect-Condition/dp/B007PDSK84

Better than lemon oil in various respects and the appearance of the 'board is darkened and enriched for much longer. 
    I've got a couple of bottles of Fret Doctor, which I think is essentially bore oil.  It was quite expensive, as far as I remember, but it's going to last me forever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    I think its freaking gorgeous just how it is!
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    A cheap one to try is walnut oil, available at many supermarkets, a bottle will last a lifetime, and its quite nice on salads.
    I used to follow the HM threads on LP forum, and the final results always looked amazing, but I suspect it is probably cheaper in the long run to find a guitar that speaks to you, and buy it, the financials will stay the same, a full makeover is probably at least the same price as the donor guitar.
    That was when you could pick up an R8 for around £2k, so I wouldn't dare to imagine the implications now.
    There is a good thread somewhere on a Jaeger makeover, which showed some of the worries around fretboard / neck manufacture, a can of worms can be opened.
    It's a nice guitar, I'd just oil the board and play it a lot.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I would just oil it, or try stuff like Monty's Relic wax or whatever it is called.

Replacing a fretboard for the sake of shades of brown is way too big a risk of ruining a perfectly good guitar.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Fern Evergreen? 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    But yeah that guitar is beautiful, wouldn't touch it! 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    try to remember that any oils or waxes you  try will prevent you from trying other methods without going back to raw wood first... this can be difficult 
  • I agree with the OP.  Completely sub-standard and totally worthless.  I'd be happy to arrange proper disposal.   ;)

Seriously, though - give it a good oiling as others have suggested, and if you still don't like it, sell it and buy one you're happy with.  Don't perform expensive surgery on a perfectly lovely guitar just because it's slightly the wrong shade of brown.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Thanks so much for the replies guys, really appreciated - I’ve put some fret doctor on it so far which has helped a little - wondering about Montypresso but worried that the fret doctor will stop it be so effective? 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    edited October 2021
    Thanks so much for the replies guys, really appreciated - I’ve put some fret doctor on it so far which has helped a little - wondering about Montypresso but worried that the fret doctor will stop it be so effective? 
    Give it a go, the price is nothing compared to what you were budgeting for.  Plus, it's not going to get lighter by using it.

Even 5% darker is still 5% darker. 

Take before and after photos.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    FWIW, while other's experiences of Montypresso were, to put it mildly, variable, I got great results om my Pau Ferro Electric Xii.  Slow and steady: clean with naphtha first which seemed to make a difference, and then probably 6-8 coats, leaving each to sink in before polishing off.

A few before and after shots.  Last one being rubbed by walnuts.  Niche kinky shit.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • So, you literally got some walnuts and just rubbed them on the fb ? Lol ! - what does that do ? 

I was also considering making an ebonizing solution but was worried about long term effects of it on the fb ? 

I contacted Gibson and it seems it has an Indian RW fb 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Don’t use waxes or oils. They don’t last and don’t look right either…

if you want it darker the only way is to chemically darken it (and Iron acetate won’t work either)…

before:

After:

poopot said:
    Don’t use waxes or oils. They don’t last and don’t look right either…

if you want it darker the only way is to chemically darken it (and Iron acetate won’t work either)…

before:

Fiebings leather oil/Dye works great as long as its on raw wood,  fully rubbed back, and sealed in with a coat of oil.  Skip those steps and it will leave youw ith dark fingers

Iron acetate an tea tannin worked pretty well on this

The dyes etc never last… what you need is ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ah yes, i forgot about that one.  Is it the same secret stuff that causes checking and makes things glow under UV light ;)
    WezV said:
    ah yes, i forgot about that one.  Is it the same secret stuff that causes checking and makes things glow under UV light ;)
    It’s a solution for everything :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    WezV said:
    It’s a solution for everything :)
    sell it to the government as a cure for Covid!!
  • poopot said:
    The dyes etc never last… what you need is ;)

It's either a secret formula or fairy liquid. 

I'm saying fairy liquid - time for us to get dish soap on our most expensive guitars!! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom