SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Community Studio Gear

What's Hot
Hi All - - - I'm not sure if this is the right place to place this, but I'm part of a small group who are trying to build a community creative hub for school-age children. The plan is to offer free introductory lessons on various instruments and recording tech, as well as a space for rehearsing and rudimentary recording. We have access to a scout hut out of hours and in holidays and already have acquired a number of instruments through donations. I'm looking at anything cheap or going spare that we could use for the facility. Mixers/monitors/fx/speakers etc, anything that would help get the project going. 

Has anyone here done anything similar? If so, it would be great to hear from you as well for tips/advice!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I'll have a rummage...
  • That would be much appreciated @Stuckfast
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27485
    @Legionreturns ; might have some relevant experience to share ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    edited December 2021
    You need to establish your bona fides first. I'd suggest at a minimum, starting some social media page where you name and explain the group and its aims. You'll almost certainly get locals donating stuff, too.

And I'm sure you've thought about it - the security of an average scout hut is zero. Once word gets out that there's music gear stored there, it'll be robbed. Sadly. Not sure what the solution to that issue is?

Good luck - I may find a few things that are useful...

• @goldtop - I’ll bring these suggestions up when we meet at the weekend. It’s a small community estate and we would be open to kids from here joining. We weren’t planning on advertising it far and wide, just some flyers/closed FB group for parents. The hut is actually pretty secure and has CCTV, but it’s a great point not leave any laptops or anything of value in there.
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    Might be a good plan to say where you are located, rough idea of the area, so that anyone wishing to donate can drop it off and avoid packing and carriage costs.
  • Good point @JohnS37 - - - based in Chorley, Lancs!
  • Thanks all for advice and offers - - - we’ve got a couple of small mixing desks and also managed to get some laptops with free DAWs
  • skitzigol said:
    based in Chorley, Lancs!
    I used to run a community music group in Wigan. We ended up drawing funding from something like 5 sources and we used to run a studio, regular lessons, and 6-week outreach projects in a variety of settings, for a variety of providers. It was great fun but ultimately the politics of it all killed the joy for me. We ran it for nearly 10 years and it motivated me to do a PGCE, but it was hard work, keeping everyone onboard. 
  • Thanks @danowens - - - we will be getting it going in the next few weeks, although we will keep it small time and hopefully avoid all of that
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    skitzigol said:
    Thanks @danowens - - - we will be getting it going in the next few weeks, although we will keep it small time and hopefully avoid all of that
    Hey bud, do you get around much ?…..I have a couple of bits but I’m in Bham 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • I do travel quite a fair bit with work actually, probably starting up again later this month/early Feb. That’s very kind of you. What’s available and what would the prices be?