Re: Strings, is there a trade off between longevity and sound Quality?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Thank you for the suggestions. I might try the monels and/the elixirs next time. The guitar tech fitted Ernie Ball's to the my 12 string last time, but not sure how long they will last
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7269
    telehack said:
    bertie said:

One naked string to avoid tho,  Thomastik Spectrum Bronze  - dull as bloody dishwater 
    It just goes to show how different guitars and preferences affect this. I too dislike coated strings but I really liked the SB112 Spectrum strings from Thomastik on a Gibson acoustic. One man's dull is another man's rich.  =)
    That's the same for me.  Perhaps I actually prefer slightly "dull" (probably best described as mellow) as opposed to bright zingy strings.  I have never really liked the sound of brand new strings, particularly on an acoustic, and I always enjoy the sound just after they have begun to lose that new string brightness.  I use the Thomastik Spectrum Bronze SB111 on a few of my acoustics and find that the low end sounds more like the 12s of many other brands while retaining a more flexible, softer feel that I find easy on the fingers.  One make and type of string obviously don't suit everybody though, and that's the reason you can fill a wall of a large music store with packs of strings alone.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom