Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Head or combo?

What's Hot
Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
edited September 2013 in Amps
Right - with my Matamp hat on.

Heads or combos. Which do you prefer and why? Either or both?? Matamp don't do combos as a rule, I think they're missing out.... Opinions if you please!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Heads. More versatile.

Thing is speakers make the biggest change to the tone of any user replaceable parts. I have two nice cabs with a third on the way and once you find what sounds really good why would you want to play an amp through anything else?
  • heads

so you can mix and match cabs

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Do you work with Matamp?

I've only ever had Combos BTW. 
    Always meant to get into head and cab, but never actually owned one. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Combo for me for defo, to the level of my head that i picked up converted to a combo by Zilla, but then I'm a fan of low-ish watts, single speaker set ups so carrying the cab Seperate seems pointless, and combos look so nice if you get them right. If I was into high watt, multi-speaker, I can see the appeal of seperates.
  • I do, between making pickups and teaching, even gigging now and again....busy boy me!
  • I see a place for both - but I think there's a core of players who just go combo...
  • I see a place for both - but I think there's a core of players who just go combo...
  • It always boggles my mind when people say they want combos "because I'm after a more portable rig". Fuck that, combos are - by definition - heavier than anything you have to carry with an equivalent head and cab. In fact, you can usually carry a head in one hand and 2x12" in the other far easier than lugging a combo, because you don't have to rely on your back muscles for balance.

Head and 2x12" for me, definitely. I actually don't like the sound of a 4x12" or 1x12", so it all works out rather well :)
    <space for hire>
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Combo, but needs to be able to take an extension cab.

I mostly play at home, so generally don't need anything other than a combo. So much so that both my amps (ok 1 is just a practise amp) are combos.

However, If I was regularly playing medium/large venues it would be head/cab set-up.

And while we're here, you don't need  a 100w stack to play small pubs

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Head and 2x12 cab. My back will thank me for it at a later date.
  • mike_l said:

pffft

god dam hippy

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    It always boggles my mind when people say they want combos "because I'm after a more portable rig". 

It works for a 1x12, combo in one hand, guitar in other, pedalboard and leads in backpack, one trip from car, boom.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I like both but probably prefer head's and cab's.    I gig mainly with a fender twin and it's really convenient having it in one package but there is something about a head/cab I really like.  Not sure why but I think some makes suit a combo better - It would certainly be missing out not to offer both options.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:

pffft

god dam hippy

Hippy maybe, but my hearing is (mostly) intact.....

Actually, I've been accused of being a lot of things (including a guitarist), but never a hippy......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Depends entirely on the gig, for me; I LOVED my Peavey Delta Blues 1x15" combo but I'd never use it with a 'rawk' band - I'd want the look of a head + cab setup as much as anything else, shallow as that may make me. If I were playing with a more sedate rock 'n' roll outfit, covers band or whatever I'd get another DB in a heartbeat (or possibly even a solid-state Fender, Deluxe 90 or Stage 100 probably).

For recording, head all the way, though; as hywelg says, the single biggest tonal change you can get at a stroke is usually by switching cab, so it seems pointless to be tethered to what's built into your amp. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    i normally prefer heads and cabs
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Horses for courses. I have both and some suit certain gigs and some suit others. A jtm45 and 4x12 would make for a pretty heavy combo and it would be a bit daft to split a Princeton in to a head and cab
  • Heads and cabs for me.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    It depends what size you go to. 

A small amp works well as a combo. Wheres things like Twins are just a pain in the arse. 
  • Head and cab for me. Trusty old bandmaster reverb head (choice of 2, a 73 or a 76) Plug it into a choice of cabs at the rehearsal rooms and when I'm gigging I have a lightweight Alnico loaded 4x10. Big sound and easy on the back!
    The Swamp City Shakers