Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Head or combo?

What's Hot

Comments

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I've switched from head/cab to combo this year because despite the weight it was one less carry.

Then I started using two combos.

Oh well!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited September 2013
    Head and cab without a doubt. Not fussed about how long it takes to set up mainly because if I set up quickly I get roped into helping other people or getting the drinks in!

I use 2 1x12 open back cabs with a 100w head.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    I like either, it really doesn't bother me as long as it's not a 2x12 combo, having said that, as long as I don't have to carry it, it would be ok I suppose....
    ;)
  • I have a 1x12 combo right now, which is compact and reasonably light.
    As I have just started playing again after many years off, it is great for me.

Back in my previous life I went from a large 1x12 combo which did most stuff pretty well when I was growing up in a covers band.
    Then I went straight onto 4x12s which were bloody cumbersome, but did kick ass !
    I used, but never owned, Fender Twin Revebs too, which I loved for their specific tone, but were just as unwieldy as the bigger stuff.
    It's a pain if you have to carry it yourself, so much easier if roadies do it for you though.

So that's partly in answer to the thread, and partly to ask:

What are the alternatives, if I ever start gigging again ?

How do you guys feel about the options and the pros and cons.  I really want to get my head around how people use gear today. 
    A few years, a dodgy back and no road crew mean making some more sensible decisions this time around. :)   Cheers,  Chris

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Separate heads and cabs for anything that leaves the house. So much easier to carry. :)

Also there's the flexibility to use different cabs, as well as separating the electronics from the loud, shouty bit, which is always a good thing

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72504
    edited September 2013
    martinw said:

separating the electronics from the loud, shouty bit, which is always a good thing

I actually think that having the valves in the same box as the loud shouty things is an important part of the 'combo sound'. And yes, it does make them rattle and knacker them more quickly, I know...

Particularly annoying with the rattly Mullard EL34s in one of my Trem-o-verbs :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

•  
    How do you guys feel about the options and the pros and cons.  I really want to get my head around how people use gear today. 
    A few years, a dodgy back and no road crew mean making some more sensible decisions this time around. :)   Cheers,  Chris
    There's some really good 'lunchbox' heads around that weigh next-to-nothing and pack a real punch these days (Hayden Mofo, Vox Nightrain, Orange Tiny Terror if you don't need loud cleans; even the slightly bigger stuff like the Jet City JCA22H is still considerably lighter than most old-school valve heads) and if you can embrace neodynium speakers your 2x12" cab could weigh bugger-all as well. Totally possible to gig a small valve stack and travel on the bus these days (head one hand, cab in the other, guitar on back, Bob's your mother's sister).
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    IanSavage said:

There's some really good 'lunchbox' heads around that weigh next-to-nothing and pack a real punch these days (Hayden Mofo, Vox Nightrain, Orange Tiny Terror if you don't need loud cleans; even the slightly bigger stuff like the Jet City JCA22H is still considerably lighter than most old-school valve heads) and if you can embrace neodynium speakers your 2x12" cab could weigh bugger-all as well. Totally possible to gig a small valve stack and travel on the bus these days (head one hand, cab in the other, guitar on back, Bob's your mother's sister).
    There's a Hayden MoFo 30 which ought to be insane.

I've got a Mesa Mini Rectifier, which supposedly is 10w/25w switchable and it's mentally loud though my Dr Z 2x10 or 2 1x12 Mesa cabs
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Personally if there was a Peavey Bandit Head I'd have one as my spare in preference to anything else.

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited September 2013
    Thanks @IanSavage, looks like a bit of checking out to do. That will keep the GAS happy for a while.  The use of neodynium magnets is fairly recent, I take it from your response that they sound noticeably different, could you elaborate please?

2x12 cabs seem like a good idea, on the floor all the top end will go past my knees, so what do you guys stand them and the amp on?

I wasn't even aware of 2x10s, what are their characteristics @Jalapeno, I like the idea in principle?

How does power output compare to anything I would have known years ago, or in terms of keeping up with a drummer live?
    And what about using it through the PA?  It seems like PA use has changed in smaller venues, and the needs of amplification have maybe changed too.

BTW I had an uncle Bob, so the answer was usually "yes, he is", but I think we would have needed Blackadder in the family history for 'Bob's your mother's sister'   
    :D

@ChrisMusic. 2x10 is very compact, and compresses the tone a bit, whilst focussing the guitar sound - really cuts through well live.

Feedback
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Jalapeno said:
    Personally if there was a Peavey Bandit Head I'd have one as my spare in preference to anything else.
    Presumably you could transplant the innards into a head. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72504
    edited September 2013
    Jalapeno said:
    There is (or was) - the Peavey Supreme.

It's extremely rare though - I've never seen one and couldn't even remember what it was called until I went looking for a pic.

There also seems to be a more recent version with truly horrendous styling!

In the interests of decency I will not link a pic, but just Google it if you don't believe me :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    Lol, I just did.
    Cheers !

Feedback
  • For me it's more about the individual amp.  I use a jtm45 mainly so it's a head and cab situation.  If I added another amp to the stable it would be an ac30, so a combo.  Those are Katherine sounds I want and the ease or difficulty of moving them comes with the territory as far as I'm concerned...!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Holy crap, that's ugly.
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited September 2013
    I don't have a great deal of preference between heads/cabs and combos. I use an old AC-30 and absolutely love the sound I get, but generally for band rehearsals I just use whatever is in the room. Because old AC-30s are so chuffin heavy. And directional - if its not pointing at my ears I can barely hear it.

What I'd like is the brilliant channel of a non top boost AC-30 in a 1x12 box, light enough to carry in one hand. Which I fancy building myself...
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997

If you want to travel light ... you could do Zoom G3X direct in to pa using XLR.

No amp involved at all.

That is an option I am hoping to explore pretty soon.

:)

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    close2u said:

If you want to travel light ... you could do Zoom G3X direct in to pa using XLR.

No amp involved at all.

That is an option I am hoping to explore pretty soon.

:)

That's what I've been doing for a year or so with great success, give me a shout if you want any tips etc.