Opinions on Harley Benton Acoustic

What's Hot
I have a few quid and I am going to buy a new guitar. I currently only possess a Squier/Fender Jumbo which is way too big for me in the body but I do like it's slightly wider fretboard even though I also have smaller hands. I am not a brand snob and I am looking for value for money. I have seen this Harley Benton on the Thomann website and thought I'd seek opinions on this given so many posters have experience of so many guitars. 
Tell me what you think please
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_custom_line_cla_15mce.htm
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7295
    edited February 2022
    Unfortunately I'm at work and can't access some websites, so I can't look at all the specifications on the Thomann site.  Additionally, when I go to YouTube to get a look at the guitar in some reviews I somehow ended up with the most annoying people blabbering on loudly about everything but the guitar.

From the letters in the model and from what I can see in Google images and YouTube, this is the all solid mahogany Grand Auditorium sized electro-acoustic with cutaway.  I have no direct experience with that particular model, but what I can say from having bought a few Harley Benton "Custom Line" acoustics, is that you are most likely to receive a guitar that has been very well constructed and finished, and has had a fair amount of attention paid to details like fret ends, nut slots and saddle finishing. From what I can determine of their "Custom Line" ranges in the different guitar types, it means that there is either additional decorative detail or better hardware, or else it means "more time spent on the build and finish", i.e. "deluxe".

The machine heads on the custom line acoustics I have bought have been of a much better quality than most other guitars at the same price level by other brands, and the setup has been reasonably good (needing a tiny bit of fettling) to very good (no fettling needed at all).

In general I find that mahogany top guitars have a much more rounded and mellow sound than spruce top ones.  If you have other acoustics with spruce tops and this is going to be a guitar that provides a different sound and feel when you need it, then it might well be worth buying this mahogany topped guitar unplayed, because it will sound different.  If you are an electric player and this is going to be your first or maybe second acoustic, then it might be a good idea to go to a music store and gauge the difference in tone between a spruce top and mahogany top just in case you find that you aren't terribly keen on the mahogany top ones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27620
    HB are typically reviewed as good VFM, accepting that you may well have to swap various bits and pieces and do some set-up work to get a decent playing and sounding guitar.

You can still tweak an acoustic's set-up to some extent, albeit you'll struggle to adjust a neck angle, and adjust bridge height is a bit trickier.

But you can't really tweak its sound by swapping pickups - you're dependent on the quality materials used and the construction of the guitar.

In short, I'd say an HB acoustic is a riskier proposition than an HB electric.

If you really want an acoustic, I'd be playing a few from the different brands and deciding which approach felt and sounded best (to my ears) and then either buying the one that spoke to me most, or keeping my eyes open for something s/h .  There still seem to be a fair few s/h acoustic bargains appearing here.  

Something with a decent brand on the headstock, s/h for £400, is likely to be much more than twice as good as a new HB for £200.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    HB are typically reviewed as good VFM, accepting that you may well have to swap various bits and pieces and do some set-up work to get a decent playing and sounding guitar.

You can still tweak an acoustic's set-up to some extent, albeit you'll struggle to adjust a neck angle, and adjust bridge height is a bit trickier.

But you can't really tweak its sound by swapping pickups - you're dependent on the quality materials used and the construction of the guitar.

In short, I'd say an HB acoustic is a riskier proposition than an HB electric.

If you really want an acoustic, I'd be playing a few from the different brands and deciding which approach felt and sounded best (to my ears) and then either buying the one that spoke to me most, or keeping my eyes open for something s/h .  There still seem to be a fair few s/h acoustic bargains appearing here.  

Something with a decent brand on the headstock, s/h for £400, is likely to be much more than twice as good as a new HB for £200.
    Thanks for your input Tony. 
    Isn't it the case though that Harley Bentons are mostly made at the same factories with the same materials as the £400 guitars and for all intents and purposes they are £400 guitars?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27620
    It's true that you're probably saving a chunk of retailer markup, marketing costs, etc, by buying HB straight from Thomann.

Point remains though that, with an acoustic, the sound is very dependent on woods & construction and that's pretty much non-upgradeable (in contrast to electrics).  

So an HB acoustic is a riskier proposition than an HB electric, and I'd still be looking for s/h options from a more recognised brand,   with some sort of trusted-seller comment, in preference to a new HB acoustic.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    If this type of guitar with the inherent tone, look and feel of its materials and construction is what you're looking for, I don't think you can go far wrong.

The reviews are great and the demo videos and sound files are rather impressive. Thomann's returns are easy if you don't like it.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    If you can stretch to £248 it's available in all solid construction

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_cla_15mce_solidwood.htm

If you don't need the electrics/cutaway it's £211. The sound files are very impressive. Crazy value for an all solid acoustic!

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_cla_15m_solidwood.htm
  • Took delivery of a custom line baritone acoustic from Harley Benton, it's great, can't complain at all
    Aaaah, good link there by @BigPaulie
    In the description of the guitar you are looking at it just refers to the top and back as being "mahogany".  Nothing said about it being laminated, however in the model specifically described as "solidwood" it specifically says "solid mahogany".  They aren't lying, but quite often these days if a lower priced guitar isn't specifically described as having a "solid" top, back and sides, then you can mostly assume that it is laminated.

I need to be absolutely clear about something and say that I am NOT immediately against guitars with laminated tops.  I have several all laminate acoustics that sound absolutely wonderful.  It DOES, however, seem to a dealbreaker with some people.  In my opinion a a laminated body and often a laminated top should be reasonably expected in a guitar with an RRP of £189, and most certainly on ones down below about £130, although there may be the odd exception.  People often assume that "laminated" means thin plywood and have a mental association with sheets you would buy at B&Q.  On guitars you usually find that a laminated top comprises only 3 layers that are very firmly bonded together.  In your case there will probably be mahohany veneer sandwiching solid wood (of roughly the same thicknesses) that is fairly neutral, for example basswood.  The whole top still vibrates as one piece and it would usually take somebody with quite a lot of experience playing more expensive solid top guitars to hear the difference.

You would probably get a a bit more "mahogany top" sound from the solid wood version that BigPaulie linked to, but I would quite happily buy the one you are looking at.

On the plus side, a guitar made from laminated wood is usually a lot more resilient to knocks, the tops don't usually crack, and they usually don't belly up as much behind the bridge (depending on how they are internally braced).
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5481
    I would not buy a guitar with a laminated top. Laminated back, well, it's not ideal but it really isn't a big issue. Laminated sides, absolutely. Sides contribute nothing to the sound and laminating them makes good structural sense. But the top is the important part. Solid top guitars are readily available at very low prices, new and second-hand. 

I would certainly not buy a guitar in this price range without playing it myself. Now that the Covid-era shortages are starting to ease off, we will gradually see more and more second-hand guitars creeping onto the market, and we will also see the recent increases in new prices plateau and start to reverse. If you are not in a hurry, better value is just around the corner.

• BigPaulie said:
    If you can stretch to £248 it's available in all solid construction

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_cla_15mce_solidwood.htm

If you don't need the electrics/cutaway it's £211. The sound files are very impressive. Crazy value for an all solid acoustic!

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_cla_15m_solidwood.htm
    I could stretch to that if I felt like but as Tannin says,it's importsnt to test anything you want to buy so I probably will. I am more likely to buy second hand but I just wanted a bit of feedback if I chose the new market route.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 753
    I've never played a Harley Benton. At least take a look at Yamaha and Eastman.

At this price point, don't be discouraged by laminate tops.

|Good Luck.
    Here's an example of a NON-electrified solid mahogany top acoustic with laminated mahogany back and sides:
    Yamaha FS850 - Recommended retail price: £567.00
    https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/ac_guitars/fg_fgx/index.html
    Spec given as: SOLID Mahogany Top, Mahogany Back & Sides (infers laminate)

The same guitar new for £399.00
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/160121292666008--yamaha-fs850-natural
    Spec given as above.

They have a pre-owned one in good condition for £299.

To get the piezo-equipped version you could probably add around £80 to the new selling price.
  • I suppose sell on value is not among my considerations as such given I probably wont spend more than around £300 anyway,but I suppose it should be given I wont be buying many top of the range guitars in my lifetime.
    As always,this thread is an education. Thank you all for your feedback,very interesting.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    edited February 2022
    TBH, if you're after an inexpensive small bodied acoustic there are lots of s/h alternatives that get you better VFM.

(Blant plug alert) - example:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/220086/fs-alvarez-af-75-price-drop#latest

OK, you may not be local to this one - but potentially could meet somewhere. Or, look for something else locally secondhand that has a better spec/build for similar money to the HB.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    TBH, if you're after an inexpensive small bodied acoustic there are lots of s/h alternatives that get you better VFM.

(Blant plug alert) - example:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/220086/fs-alvarez-af-75-price-drop#latest

OK, you may not be local to this one - but potentially could meet somewhere. Or, look for something else locally secondhand that has a better spec/build for similar money to the HB.
    I have looked at your ad and its a lovely guitar. Unfortunately I am not local and just as importantly I have never tried a parlour and need to see if that body size is something that I feel comfortable with.
  • I've got the "Custom line cld 12 string. It was about 200quid, It's great Well worth the money.
    Well built and well setup. Had it about 5 years so far and still going strong. Hasn't exploded or anything.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    I have the Custom Line CLA-28VE RW

I bought it 4 years ago and I'm not sure they do it with the rosewood sides and back anymore. You can still get the 
    CLA-28VE WN with walnut instead for £249.

It really looks the part, very much Martin-style.

Construction is sound. Holds tune.

Nice wide nut for fingerstyle. (that's why I bought it, I have a Takamine dread that's more of a strummer)

Soft V neck. It's the only guitar I own with that profile, but I really dig it.

Sounds really clear and articulate acoustically, though not as bright as you might expect from spruce and rosewood.

The Fishman system works fine, but plugged in acoustic sound is always a bit of a compromise to my ears. Nice to have a tuner onboard, though.

I remember preferring it to the Sigmas I was trying out at the time when I bought it.

• DannyP said:
    I have the Custom Line CLA-28VE RW

I bought it 4 years ago and I'm not sure they do it with the rosewood sides and back anymore. You can still get the CLA-28VE WN with walnut instead for £249.

It really looks the part, very much Martin-style.

Construction is sound. Holds tune.

Nice wide nut for fingerstyle. (that's why I bought it, I have a Takamine dread that's more of a strummer)

Soft V neck. It's the only guitar I own with that profile, but I really dig it.

Sounds really clear and articulate acoustically, though not as bright as you might expect from spruce and rosewood.

The Fishman system works fine, but plugged in acoustic sound is always a bit of a compromise to my ears. Nice to have a tuner onboard, though.

I remember preferring it to the Sigmas I was trying out at the time when I bought it.

Sigma is a brand I've also been looking at too.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    On paper the Eastman E1 OM seems spectacular for £499. All solid wood, bone nut and saddle, ebony fretboard. Very tempting as much as I wasn’t impressed with one of their archtops in the past.
  • TINMAN82 said:
    On paper the Eastman E1 OM seems spectacular for £499. All solid wood, bone nut and saddle, ebony fretboard. Very tempting as much as I wasn’t impressed with one of their archtops in the past.
    At that price it would eat up too much of my budget but I've always liked the look of an Eastman acoustic.