New acoustic day, the underdog is king

What's Hot
StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
edited February 2022 in Acoustics

I currently have covid and the offer of buy now pay next year interest free was just too much,  so after a fair bit of research I got a dowina, 
 I didn't know anything about Dowina, I had seen one to two about and just assumed they were another far eastetn brand, until I saw a used vintage  series which looked great ( guitar guitar) after some research and seeing the reviews and build quality from other players online I thought I would give it a go. These are all made my hand, all solids woods in Slovakia. 
The attention to detail is akin to any of my 2k guitars 

Impressions:How is this made for around 1k it honestly beggars belief, the feel playability and tone are better than some of the high end guitars I have owned.This is definately a keeper.

Nice little touches like the makers signature on one brace and the tap tuned tops note on the other, 

Yes I am saying this in the honeymoon period how'ver my relationship with the guitar has changed over the last few years, I don't dream of the one or spend hours researching any more, what now gets me excited is how it will compliment me as a guitarist, and I can say with no bias this dowina has the tone and playability of a 2k guitar, if anyone wants a sound clip just say and I'll pop one up 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

•      
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    Very nice indeed. Enjoy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulie said:
    Very nice indeed. Enjoy.
    I really am :D 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    frets look almost like s/s 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • They are excellent guitars, enjoy. 
    had a quick look at the website ( s )  the .co.uk one appears to offer different models to the .com,  also the .com is a little confusing,  it doesnt  state specifically what the top is  - but appears to offer 3 variants ?  do you chose which at "order" time ?
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    She looks lovely mate. Well done and get better soon :+1:
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited February 2022
    bertie said:
    frets look almost like s/s

To be fair they do feel like ss 
  • Mellish said:
    She looks lovely mate. Well done and get better soon :+1:
    Thank you :D 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited February 2022
    bertie said:
    had a quick look at the website ( s )  the .co.uk one appears to offer different models to the .com,  also the .com is a little confusing,  it doesnt  state specifically what the top is  - but appears to offer 3 variants ?  do you chose which at "order" time ?
    I "believe" it's all custom? So you can choose what you want... But im not 100 percent sure, I got it for 700 2nd hand, so I didn't go through the new purchase procedure.

what I will say tho is : I would consider a total bargain this really is Lowden quality, that's not some silly throw away remark, I have been an acoustic player for 20 years, and the tone is really somethig special, 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It would be interesting to get a price for a cedar topped, maple back and sides dreadnought
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    The Dowina's look to be lovely instruments at a variety of price points. Enjoy :+1: 
    I do wonder if Gibson are aware of the use of the copyrighted open book headstock design though?
    Maybe Gibson have done what they stated a couple of years ago & moved “from confrontation to collaboration” with other builders & are collaborating with those who are doing really cool things?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That does look lovely. Happy NGD.
  • The Dowina's look to be lovely instruments at a variety of price points. Enjoy :+1: 
    I do wonder if Gibson are aware of the use of the copyrighted open book headstock design though?
    Maybe Gibson have done what they stated a couple of years ago & moved “from confrontation to collaboration” with other builders & are collaborating with those who are doing really cool things?

Damn good point to be fair, it's a lot more flared and very reminiscent of the first guild headstock they used, it def tapers out more on the sides so I wonder if that's enough to negate the legality as head on it does look different 
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 302
    I prefer open tuners but that finger board sure is pretty. 
  • ditchboy said:
    I prefer open tuners but that finger board sure is pretty. 
    You cant beat grovers for precision and reliability tho :D 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5481
    Dowina have been going for a fair while and I've heard nice things about them. Sadly, they are not distributed in this country,  save for a single dealer in Melbourne who has two of the cheapest ones in stock. Nice guitar, excellent NGD post Strangefan.

The Dowina's look to be lovely instruments at a variety of price points. Enjoy :+1: 

The Dowina headstock's top line is reminiscent of the "open book" design.

However, the headstock design overall is sufficiently divergent from Gibson's to avoid copyright issues.

I got it for 700 2nd hand, so I didn't go through the new purchase procedure.

wow !! that is a lot of box for 700 sovs
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    BigPaulie said:

The Dowina headstock's top line is reminiscent of the "open book" design.

However, the headstock design overall is sufficiently divergent from Gibson's to avoid copyright issues.

You think so? Really?
    https://www.guitarworld.com/news/gibson-opposes-collings-headstock-trademark-registration