New acoustic day, the underdog is king

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    BigPaulie said:
    The Dowina's look to be lovely instruments at a variety of price points. Enjoy :+1: 
    I do wonder if Gibson are aware of the use of the copyrighted open book headstock design though?
    Maybe Gibson have done what they stated a couple of years ago & moved “from confrontation to collaboration” with other builders & are collaborating with those who are doing really cool things?

The Dowina headstock's top line is reminiscent of the "open book" design.

However, the headstock design overall is sufficiently divergent from Gibson's to avoid copyright issues.

You think so? Really?

Lawyers gonna lawyer.

It's funny to think that their argument against Collings' design is that someone might buy a Collings guitar in the belief that it's s Gibson =) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 2022
    You think so? Really?
     "Gibson's Dove Wing design"     really ?  never heard it called that before,  always considered Gibbo to be "open book" 

and the Collings is nothing like it....................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    BigPaulie said:
    BigPaulie said:
    The Dowina's look to be lovely instruments at a variety of price points. Enjoy :+1: 
    I do wonder if Gibson are aware of the use of the copyrighted open book headstock design though?
    Maybe Gibson have done what they stated a couple of years ago & moved “from confrontation to collaboration” with other builders & are collaborating with those who are doing really cool things?

The Dowina headstock's top line is reminiscent of the "open book" design.

However, the headstock design overall is sufficiently divergent from Gibson's to avoid copyright issues.

You think so? Really?

Lawyers gonna lawyer.

It's funny to think that their argument against Collings' design is that someone might buy a Collings guitar in the belief that it's s Gibson =) 
    Completely agree, but as you say, lawyers...  :s
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5478
    Pretty good thought, really. Suppose someone offered to give you a Gibson and when you opened the parcel it was a Collings! Oh happy days!
  • For £700, you simply can't go wrong. Enjoy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tannin said:
    Dowina have been going for a fair while and I've heard nice things about them. Sadly, they are not distributed in this country,  save for a single dealer in Melbourne who has two of the cheapest ones in stock. Nice guitar, excellent NGD post Strangefan.

An excellent Australian/Irish guitarist called Steve Cooney plays Dowina guitars and gives a very good review on YouTube. 
  • For £700, you simply can't go wrong. Enjoy.
    You couldn't even get an entry level usa made Taylor or Martin 2nd hand for that due to historical relevance and "mojo" , which is a bonus for me as it means I get top notch guitars for less :D 
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    bertie said:
    had a quick look at the website ( s )  the .co.uk one appears to offer different models to the .com,  also the .com is a little confusing,  it doesnt  state specifically what the top is  - but appears to offer 3 variants ?  do you chose which at "order" time ?
     The Pomona, Sol and Ceres on the UK website are the same models as the Sauvignon, Chardonnay and Cabernet on the .com website. Presumably they think us Brits drink too much and don't want to encourage us.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    For £700, you simply can't go wrong. Enjoy.
    You couldn't even get an entry level usa made Taylor or Martin
    or want to 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    I hadn't figured out the correlation. You're quite right.

What's the equivalent of the Acero range?
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    BigPaulie said:
    I hadn't figured out the correlation. You're quite right.

What's the equivalent of the Acero range?
    Looks to be the same on both sites.
  • Nice bargain, lovely looking guitar, well done on finding that
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • Nice bargain, lovely looking guitar, well done on finding that
    Thanks Dennis 
  • I would love to get my hands on one of these. A great ethos and passion being displayed by the maker. The use of paler hues of ebony for the boards is a lovely touch. Congratulations on a fabulous guitar. In a way it reminds me of a very early Lakewood I picked up before they were better known ( I still have it nearly 30 years later ). At the time I was looking for a nice Martin smaller bodied guitar, I played it and had to have it. 
  • artiebear said:
    I would love to get my hands on one of these. A great ethos and passion being displayed by the maker. The use of paler hues of ebony for the boards is a lovely touch. Congratulations on a fabulous guitar. In a way it reminds me of a very early Lakewood I picked up before they were better known ( I still have it nearly 30 years later ). At the time I was looking for a nice Martin smaller bodied guitar, I played it and had to have it. 
    I totally agree, they seem to be on the ball and doing their own thing, I also had a lakewood, it's the one acoustic I would buy back in a heartbeat, you can't beat leftfield brands :D 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Wow, that's a real looker!  Spruce on mahogany?

Glad that you're happy with it.  :)

• Nitefly said:
    Wow, that's a real looker!  Spruce on mahogany?

Glad that you're happy with it.  :)

Thank you nitefly, i thought I would take a chance with the 0 percent interest option and glad I did, stunning guitar 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    That is one seriously good looking guitar. I'd also have assumed far east from the name. However, Fursch do some lovely guitars and they're Czech, worth keeping an eye out for Dowina then. Looks really well made. Well spotted, congrats - keep enjoying it.
  • Soupman said:
    That is one seriously good looking guitar. I'd also have assumed far east from the name. However, Fursch do some lovely guitars and they're Czech, worth keeping an eye out for Dowina then. Looks really well made. Well spotted, congrats - keep enjoying it.
    I am a convert, honestly if you can try one.