1Q22 Build Challenge - FINAL SCORING and BEST PROJECTS REVEALED!

What's Hot
downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
edited April 2022 in Making & Modding
Please post your finished project here (with pics and salient description). To keep this thread clean please refrain from comments. Comments can be left in individual build threads.  

A link to your build thread is recommended. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited February 2022
    My entry is done
    Thanks to 
    @GSPBASSES for the guitar and bridge
    Halfords for the Matte Cammo Green Paint
    TruOil for the neck and over the paint
    Duesenberg for the Les Trem
    Iron Gear for the Blues Engine, from  which I removed the chrome cover
    CTS pots
    Kluson for the tuners
    Tim at Scratch It for the custom scratchplate

Any comments in the build thread please!

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/221476/1q22-challenge-paulnb57-mm-lp-done#latest

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818

1Q22 Build Project, Andy K's RPi / Reaper recording studio

2 part build, initial OS set up detailed here :-</p>

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/219924/1q22-challenge-raspberry-pi-reaper-recording-studio#latest

Final build ( completion ) detailed here.

My initial plans, to do something a bit different, and a bit challenging for me, were sidetracked due to global supply shortages, and I had to start my challenge on whatever was available, the Raspberry Pi 400, which enabled me to concentrate on the software side of the project, getting used to a new OS and seeing if what I had planned was even possible.

The RPi exceeded my expectations in this regard, and after a few hiccups early on, I found myself getting used to the OS, and being able to get a bit of a grasp on what goes on under the hood.

In my initial build thread, I reached a point where I had already met some of my goals, to be able to use the Pi to record and mix some of my projects, and when I recently managed to source a 4 gig version of the original Pi, I decided to complete my original plans, by building the Pi into a case that I had earlier sourced, which has dedicated hardware for high quality audio use.

A couple of pictures here show the ‘build’ from a pile of parts, and hopefully this gets me back to the point I left off my original thread, by simply using the same SD card and OS in my new machine.

Parts—----

Build process—------

Complete —------

Connected / running —-----

Conclusions—

This project is ongoing, and forms the basis of a part of my workflow into the future.

There are obviously limitations in what can be achieved with this machine, but I have proved to myself that it could be done, and maybe somebody else can use the idea to get into recording / mixing on a very low budget indeed.

I had a list of goals with this project, and I can sum it all up as follows…..

1, can I build a recording studio from a Raspberry Pi ?

Definitely, recent advances with Reaper software make it easy to cross from one platform to another, Linux has always been an alternative OS, but modern builds make getting into it a lot easier.

2, Can it actually function well to record and mix music on?

Absolutely, the OS is designed to automatically detect many USB IO without the need to install drivers, and once one is familiar with how this is managed in Reaper, it is easy to monitor and record via an interface. The RPi has enough processing and Ram to be able to function well in playback and low latency recording. Plugin support has always been limited on Linux, but native Reaper JS plugins can perform the same functions admirably.

3, Usage,

It was a challenge to find ways to have the OS work as something that can be displayed on a TV, from a seating position across the room.

Part of the intention was to be able to use this machine as a way to showcase and collaborate with a room full of people, eventually I got that done with a combination of some scaling tricks in both the OS and inside Reaper.

The use of wireless keyboard and mouse enabled control from a distance, and within Reaper I was able to configure tablet and phone controls to perform functions from touch screens and icons, Reaper Remote and WRB allowed 2 devices simultaneously, with 2 menus to perform playback, recording and monitoring from a distance.

Recording performance was always going to be a compromise on such a limited machine, but for simple mic’d and DI recording, there is ample memory and processor resources to do this at low enough latency to achieve good results.

4, Sound output.

For precise mixing, studio monitors can be used via IO, but for reference and general listening it is useful to play back via the TV’s HDMI, or any connected BT device.

My choice of case for this project has an integrated headphone amp, and DAC for HD audio, and this can easily be output to a home stereo setup for the best possible audio quality.

A dedicated OS can be used to use the machine as a headless audio streamer for playback of streaming services or a library of music stored on connected drives, or network storage, so this is added functionality to my original plans.

5. Conclusion.

This project was planned as something to take me out of my comfort zone, and as a way to pass some difficult time, and actually learn something useful along the way.

It has helped me get back to some of the core things that have to be understood for both music production, and PC use in general, so it has been very worthwhile for me.

I hope that my efforts might help somebody else in  the future, if they decide to follow the same sort of path.

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited February 2022
    Right - I’m calling this finished. 

Built from an eBay kit, crimson stains, Manchester Guitar Tech nitro clear, Alegree Old Timer pickups, Mojo loom, Schaller Da Vinci tuners, truss rod cover from eBay, aluminium scratchplate from Etsy, knobs from eBay. 

Very much an assembly rather than a build but it was quite entertaining! 

Kit - went together really well, decent timber (although there is a knot in the back of the neck), decently fretted, nut needed a lot of work. In the end I used the bridge and stop tail that came in the kit but replaced everything else. Nasty glue line down the middle of the top. 

I’m pleased with the result and I would probably use one of their kits again but I’m really more of a scratch builder (even if a bit of an agricultural one). 

Further efforts - I’ll probably redo the headstock logo and I’d still like an engraved scratchplate - either try myself or get Indra Guitars to make one. 

I need to find a case for it. 

• All done! 

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tele-scopicTele-scopic Frets: 64
    edited March 2022
    I almost forgot to post it here!  Here's the lap-steel:

Build thread:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/220775/1q22-challenge-lapsteel-tele-scopic

Nut, bridge and string post from Black Dog Music
    Fretboard found through E-Bay
    Di Marzio Noiseless Pickup from a swap involving a Fender Super Champ XD amp
    Other hardware from a Squier Mustang

I had a great time and learned many things.  I'm so impressed with all the projects and builds that are also taking part in this challenge.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Build thread here 

Harley Benton Jazzmaster style kit. Only really added some bevelling to the body, reshaped headstock and finished in a nice metallic blue. Lovely kit overall and would recommend. Body is quite light but it is balanced. Neck is finished with tru-oil. Stuck with the kit electrics/pickups for now although may upgrade pickups. I think white pickup covers/knobs may stand out nicely. 

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    edited March 2022
    1Q22 Challenge Entry from Flip 
    Title: De-Constructed Tele
    Concept: A sort of play on the way trendy chefs present traditional dishes in different guises that actually don't change the ingredients or taste at all!

This was very much a learning curve for me so let me simply say I tried to embody the 'constituent separation' implicit in the title by separating the three sections;

Guitar totality maintained not by pounding rods through from outside but 'hiding' the jointing by high-tech adhesive (without which the thing would have fallen apart) and solid stainless steel rods - note, one strap button attached to each section of the body;

To increase the separation characteristic by treating one part of each 'split' in light tone with gloss top coat while the other is in deep dark stain and matte finish;

and finally finishing the inside of the split sections in clear epoxy resin laced with bronze flakes over black gloss paint and with clear poly gloss (a feature that doesn't show well in the pictures) on top.

I hope the photos appear - first time in my memory.
    edited March 2022
    I apologise to the forum. For some reason, inexplicable to me, I can't post the photos. I've followed the instructions to imgur and have put the link in the image rubric above but, for some reason, the images fail to appear.

Thanks for organising an enjoyable challenge even if the gremlins prevent me from showing the members what I've made.

Regards
    edited March 2022
    OK, my final submission:

In line with a few others, I'll start by listing my suppliers

Kit: Guitar and Fabric, Telecaster, one-piece mahogany body, maple neck and fretboard
    Curve bandsaw cuts: Axford, Bolton
    Pickups: Artec from NW Guitars
    Modern Fender Bridge, alt output socket: NW Guitars
    Sanding Sealer: Barrettine
     Stains: NW Guitars, Crimson, Unknown eBay powder stain supplier, Littlefair (the best by far),
    Boiled Linseed Oil, Gorilla glue: Toolstation
    Matt spray: Halfords Trade
    Poly Gloss: Barrettine
      Stainless steel rods: Amazon
      Polishing compound: Meguiars
    Mirror scratchplate: Amazon

At about the time the challenge was announced I'd been having some issues with the adhesive I'd used for the neck joint of set-in guitars and I came across Gorilla Clear which is claimed to glue almost anything to everything. It does, though I now use Titebond for my set-in necks.

I'd also seen the build on YouTube and although the man at Crimson is clearly a very able woodworker, I didn't warm to his style. In particular, thought the way he drilled holes and bashed rods through the body parts on his 'split' guitar missed a trick. Given the claims by Gorilla, I thought there should be a better way in which the joining methodology is less obvious and there clearly is.

I also decided that cutting a bit off the body in a straight line was a bit simple but since I don't have a bandsaw I paid the joiner at my local timber merchant to make the cuts for me. They're always helpful but on this occasion when I wanted them to cut a perfectly good guitar body in half decided I'd lost the plot. It was at this point I decided to cut the headstock as well.

The curved cut created major problems for me since I have neither the skill nor the equipment to make the required joints mahogany-stainless steel rod-mahogany, at the correct angles in 3D to maintain the structural and design integrity, remembering that at least six of them had to be load-bearing.

I decided that it would be best to stain and finish both parts of the body and the neck before joining them back together. In retrospect, if I'd got the angles right – and it sounds much easier than it was – that would have been the correct sequence. Looking back at my limited skill and facilities – my workshop is the largest piece of the kitchen I can clutter without causing serious disagreements, I think my decision to join them after finishing the staining and finishing was correct – just.

In the end, I had to adjust the size and angle of many of the holes, then fill and refinish the 'damaged' holes. In truth, the alignment between some parts is still not precisely correct and while it might have some artistic or creative merit and it certainly plays well, I think I'll discuss it with my wife – the artist on our website, www.guitar-art.co.uk. before putting it up for sale.

The finishes worked well and the matt/gloss contrast is very satisfactory. The sounds are right for the model of guitar and there's no weakness evident in any of the wood-glue joints, indeed I've put the strap buttons on different pieces of the body, confident that no player is going to find themselves with two pieces of guitar suspended around their neck by strings and strap. On the other hand, what we sell are unique, one-off guitars that play well and on those scores it meets their purpose.

Overall I've learnt a lot about general woodwork and building guitars and it's been consistently good fun.  
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited March 2022
    Flip said:
    I apologise to the forum. For some reason, inexplicable to me, I can't post the photos. I've followed the instructions to imgur and have put the link in the image rubric above but, for some reason, the images fail to appear.

Thanks for organising an enjoyable challenge even if the gremlins prevent me from showing the members what I've made.

Regards
    I also can't get the instructions to work. What I have to do to get pics to appear is upload to imgur, then click on the three dots to get share links, copy the link for forums and Bbs (the one that starts with IMG), paste that somewhere (for example in the draft of your post), then remove the IMG and square brackets and post what remains into the 'attach image/file' box. Apparently it is easier for other people but this was the only way I got it to work. Good luck!

• Flip's pictures

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Mine’s done. It’s a guitar made from local wood. Neck is Field Maple from my own garden, with Sycamore fretboard from across the road. 

Body is Cedar of Lebanon from my neighbour, with a Yew cap from a friend in the village. 

Pickups are my favourite combination, Oil City Wapping Wharf bridge and Californian neck. Bridge and headpiece from Hipshot. Knobs, neck ferrules and bolts from Grainger. Lumilay side dots. Strap from @prudd. Truss rod, superswitch, straplocks, black binding, fretwire, cover magnets, jack socket, machine screws and threaded inserts from the dusty regions of my workshop. Fretwire is Jescar Gold. Varnish from my local hardware shop, who are consistently better quality, and cheaper, than Screwfix. 

Build thread https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/219903/1q22-challenge-roland-s-guitar-build. I will need to adjust the setup as the guitar responds to being strung up. I may also have to play with the electrics because the 250 ohm pots I bought measure as 230 and 190 respectively.

For comparison, here it is alongside my main Telecaster.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 891
    edited March 2022
    Here's my effort - solid-bodied mandolin. Through-neck construction with maple neck, pine body wings and beech (from a branch that squashed my fence) top and back. Fretboard, bridge and nut are grenadilla, knobs are grenadilla and beech.

Build thread is here https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/220148/1q22-challenge-dartmoorhedgehogs-solid-body-mandolin

Pickup-build thread if you're interested (although I made it a year ago so not really part of the challenge entry) https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/200740/frankenpickup

Edit: Found some strap buttons.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2462
    I’m gonna claim it’s finished, I’m done bar the set up which wasn’t ever really part of the project. First spray finishing and relic work, I’m happy enough with how it’s turned out. There’s things I’d do differently next time, but I learned tons and enjoyed most of the process (when I didn’t screw things up)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2022
    ~~~~~~CLOSED FOR SUBMISSIONS~~~~~~

Please now use this thread for scoring - nominate your favourite 3 projects in order in a post. Minimal commenting permitted (with scores)! 
    edited April 2022
    1. paulnb57 - the one I want most! 
    2. Dartmoor_hedgehog - yes a lot of it is the logo! 
    3. Flip - nice. 

There isn’t a single project I didn’t admire but I managed to narrow it down. 

Scoring closes on Monday 11th April at middayish 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    1 @eSully ;
    2 @elstoof ;
    3 @Roland ;

Difficult choices, very well done to you all!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• 1. @Roland - mainly because of his fight with the uncooperative local wood
    2. @Flip - really cool idea, not seen that done before
    3. @downbytheriver - fantastic colour, and probably the one I'd most want to own

And the rest were all excellent - not at all easy to pick three, and even harder to decide on the order!
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2462
    1 prettydamned
    2 dartmoorhedgehog
    3 paulnb57

was not easy! I could pick a different 3 tomorrow 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom